The Hair Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahlua73

Reaction score
By the way why do certain peeps here like to bump their own threads all the time just to be at the top ?

Despo af ?

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
How do u guys prestyle ur hair? I prestyle using a finger of dc on damp hair than blowdry for about 2 mins using hot than cold hair. Is sea salt spray "needed" to help hold whole day or dc good enough for prestyling?

u need much longer blowdry timing than 2mins.

dj_flame

Reaction score
anyway, I think hairdressers at void deck won't lose to stylists at expensive salons. paid 5x more + spent 50 mins longer but the outcome is disappointing :vijayadmin:
Depends. It maybe in your case, you got an apprentice hairdresser. I had a horrible experience at a high-end saloon, when I visited 3 years ago due to my usual place being closed for vacation. They assigned me an apprentice who proceeded to butcher my hair - my sides were left longer than my top! :s22:

I'm gonna go on a mini-rant to answer once and for all what I feel is the best way to approach hairdressers at a saloon, so I hope someone stickies this.

It's best to be a demanding and an educated customer, and actually quiz the hairdresser before, during and after the cut.

- Bring pictures,
- Ask how well the hairdresser can replicate it,
- And ask them to explain what are the limitations given your head shape and hair type.

I also find it very very very useful to explain how your hair fits your lifestyle e.g. you want fuss-free hair for an active lifestyle, or you are more willing to spend time to condition and blow dry.

Also what kind of look you generally want to sport, like swept-back and clean-cut, or a shaggy casual textured style etc.

Furthermore, I also always explain the desired length and end result - I like to grow my hair out and wear it longer these days so I always make sure they try their best to explain how to manage my hair as the length get longer and longer.

At the end of the haircut, also take note of their blowdrying technique and quiz your hairdresser on how to blowdry and style for optimal results. Ask them to walk you through the whole process.

What I find lacking in your neighborhood saloons is that this level of customer education and service is usually somewhat lacking. Whereas the same few hairdressers I have been using for the past 8 years, paying around $30 per haircut, consistently give me good results because I asked for their knowledge to be imparted. After all they are professionals and do this for a living - they should know their craft.

dj_flame

Reaction score
how about the elevate? anyone?
Elevate is a nice product but I don't advise it for anyone whose hair can't be tucked behind their ears. It's more of a conditioning creme for longer haired dudes who just want a bit of hold to manage flyaways.

Would advise to negotiate with Carter Supply to allow you to only bring in Flux, given how distribution agreements are like. Elevate wouldn't really sell.

weathersohot

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Um.. it was the salon director

Thanks a lot for your tips, it's too bad I went before I saw this.

Depends. It maybe in your case, you got an apprentice hairdresser. I had a horrible experience at a high-end saloon, when I visited 3 years ago due to my usual place being closed for vacation. They assigned me an apprentice who proceeded to butcher my hair - my sides were left longer than my top! :s22:

I'm gonna go on a mini-rant to answer once and for all what I feel is the best way to approach hairdressers at a saloon, so I hope someone stickies this.

It's best to be a demanding and an educated customer, and actually quiz the hairdresser before, during and after the cut.

- Bring pictures,
- And ask them to explain what are the limitations given your head shape and hair type.

I also find it very very very useful to explain how your hair fits your lifestyle e.g. you want fuss-free hair for an active lifestyle, or you are more willing to spend time to condition and blow dry.

Also what kind of look you generally want to sport, like swept-back and clean-cut, or a shaggy casual textured style etc.

Furthermore, I also always explain the desired length and end result - I like to grow my hair out and wear it longer these days so I always make sure they try their best to explain how to manage my hair as the length get longer and longer.

At the end of the haircut, also take note of their blowdrying technique and quiz your hairdresser on how to blowdry and style for optimal results. Ask them to walk you through the whole process.

What I find lacking in your neighborhood saloons is that this level of customer education and service is usually somewhat lacking. Whereas the same few hairdressers I have been using for the past 8 years, paying around $30 per haircut, consistently give me good results because I asked for their knowledge to be imparted. After all they are professionals and do this for a living - they should know their craft.

dj_flame

Reaction score
Um.. it was the salon director

Thanks a lot for your tips, it's too bad I went before I saw this.
Oh Wow. I will definitely boycott if that was the case.

But yeah, just be friendly and ask alot of questions. A good hairdresser will be more than happy to help.

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score

- Bring pictures,

not moderator or admin, this the best i can do LOL

http://bit.ly/2ah6uqu

dj_flame

Reaction score
Is the video below correct - that Chrome has a bit more hold and is stiffer in the hair compared to TSB?

I'm guess Chrome will also be too heavy for voluminous, free flowing hair that goes past the ears? I'm gonna give TSB a run in my long hair today later on, been just using cheap mousse for the past weeks as I wanted to try a more free flowing style.

nichsong

Reaction score
Yeaappp... We have seen similar examples that are closer to home haven't we, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Erhemm @ those who know about the MIC issue

Yup, very likely that many brands use the same lab/s to concoct their products.

sansanjikikut

Master Member
Reaction score
Is the video below correct - that Chrome has a bit more hold and is stiffer in the hair compared to TSB?

I'm guess Chrome will also be too heavy for voluminous, free flowing hair that goes past the ears? I'm gonna give TSB a run in my long hair today later on, been just using cheap mousse for the past weeks as I wanted to try a more free flowing style.

Chrome really harder to ply through thick hair. Feels firmer though. Might be placebo cos I alternate between both.

Last edited:

dj_flame

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I think I'll skip on Chrome and try to get American friends to help ship V76 products for longer hair over - maybe the medium hold lotion or creme.

My hair is now too long for your usual clays or waxes, only thing that works ok is the treatment styling balm. I kinda like not blow drying all the way, maybe to only 75% dryness for a slightly wet look now with hair that I can tuck behind my ears now.

So basically all my sea salt sprays and clays are now useless.

loudly-crying-face.png

whysoliddat

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I think I'll skip on Chrome and try to get American friends to help ship V76 products for longer hair over - maybe the medium hold lotion or creme.

My hair is now too long for your usual clays or waxes, only thing that works ok is the treatment styling balm. I kinda like not blow drying all the way, maybe to only 75% dryness for a slightly wet look now with hair that I can tuck behind my ears now.

So basically all my sea salt sprays and clays are now useless.

loudly-crying-face.png
Brylcream lor

Sent from Samsung GT-I9505 using GAGT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.