The Hair Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepblue_82

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes I tried them b4 they are good

Anyone tried Red Panther Barber at Upper Serangoon Shopping Centre yet? Less than $10 ($9 for adults) and been around for donkey years already. I'm thinking if I'm just gonna trim my sides and back, then no need to spend $30 on those upscale barbers or stylists. Although i think red panther can do the classic haircuts pretty well too.

dj_flame

Reaction score
Tried HDF Hybridized Wax today, pretty good. It's similar to Scheme Cream, but it hardens slightly and is easier to wash off my hands.

Overall I like Scheme Cream's more nourishing properties but Hybridized Wax can do in a pinch too.

Seem like HDF's products work well with longer hair.

edit: Maybe it's just MY longer hair. YMMV. :)

Last edited:

fullguard

Master Member
Reaction score
tried both

dynamite clay + gold digger + feeling powerpoint spray
and
dynamite clay + morris motley chrome

like the 2nd combi a lot better. hold is strong and pliable throughout the day.

1st combi makes my hair collapse within 3 hours or so. not sure if its the gold digger too heavy or the powerpoint spray. will try again without the powerpoint spray soon.

nichsong

Reaction score
Byrd's "The Dirty Byrd" Matte Pomade Review

Alright guys, bro gaoxing84 was nice enough to pass me his sample jars of the Byrd series that he currently just brought in. The line consists of the matte, light and classic pomades. So I've actually just used the matte pomade today and I'm just gonna give a quick rundown.

Do note that I did my usual routine of Sea Salt Spray + Blow Dry prior to applying the matte pomade as a finishing product.

Product was light, creamy and easy to apply when scooping out of the jar. Scent wise, smells mildly cologne-ish. It's a nice, light scent that goes well with the light, creamy properties of the product. Take note that the scent can't be detected once you run it through your hair.

So let's talk about the hold of the product. In my previous posts, I've mentioned about how Andrew, the owner of ADH was talking about how products that help to retain volume actually coat and give some stickiness to the individual hair strands in order to support each other and hold them up. The Byrd matte pomade does a good job at this. I'd rate the hold as a medium firm hold which is excellent for casual looking hairstyles with some volume.

Application was really easy and I could shape my hairstyle fairly quickly. I was going for a neat, casual side part kind of quiff and the product had no problems holding my casual style in place for the whole day from 9am-6pm thus far. It has the right amount of stickiness to give your hairstyle that endurance. Unless you really want massive, glued in place kind of volume, then this product would work well for most modern hairstyles I would say.

For washability, it washed off my hands super easy with one round of hand soap. I haven't shampooed my hair yet, but that experience was enough to tell me that the product is gonna wash out very easily.

All in all, I'd say that I really quite like this product. If I had to compare it to another, I'd say that it performs pretty similarly to Carter Supply Co's flux, which I love. Although this one keeps the shape of your hair together more while Flux tends to let your hair separate and wave around a little more. Like I mentioned, great for days when you want a more subtle, neat look that lasts all day. Defo worth giving a try guys! Sometimes its not the higher hold, the better. Products such as these which offer versatility can be very pleasant to use, and you'd be surprised that it can actually help make your hairstyles look more natural as compared to those super high hold products - yet at the same time, it'd still be able to last all day.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
^ solid bro. Same sentiments as me.
Those interested can use sg51 as code and hoot from the site.
Cheers
Happy national day ahead.

tohwk

Reaction score
My regular barber, always go back every 2-3 weeks. I will request my side for fade and the top and front to trim abit so i can back comb. The uncle does it well... Most of the time i will cut with Ahmad but tried Ali twice also not bad! :D

$8(Student) compared to those gentleman barber at $35. But of course the ambiance etc may not be as comparable but i am satisfied everytime :)

Hi, I have an old friend, Bob. Who used to own pink panther one floor below. Last I've heard that it has closed down.

Is he now at his brother's place, Red panther? Cheers.

Jun_rui

Reaction score
How are the sellers on shopee managing to keep their prices so low? Saw original by blumaan for $25 before the discount code

Synchroniza

Reaction score
Hi, I have an old friend, Bob. Who used to own pink panther one floor below. Last I've heard that it has closed down.

Is he now at his brother's place, Red panther? Cheers.

Apologies i am not really sure... but i have seen 2 other barber besides Ali and Ahmad in the shop during weekends.

nichsong

Reaction score
Review for Byrd Light Pomade aka "The Free Byrd"

This is a continuation of the previous post that I did for the Byrd series pomades that bro GX passed over to me. In the previous post, I reviewed the matte pomade. Now I'm going to be reviewing the light pomade - which is water based.

*Take note that I did my usual routine of blow drying with SeaSalt Spray then applying the mentioned product as a finishing product*

So, the light pomade. I don't really use water based pomades that much as I prefer matte products. But giving this one a go today, I've gotta say that I'm pretty pleased with what I got.

Application - Goes in easy, no problems. Smell wise - a faint hint of citrus. The hold is true as advertised guys. It is a light hold. I'd recommend it for "flatter", more casual hairstyles such as a simple side part when you want to dial things down for abit. In terms of shine, it advertises a medium, but I feel that styling with SSS dialed down the shine quite abit. It looked almost more towards a light natural shine after I was done applying. And as the day went by, it leaned more towards a matte. I guess it also depends on how much product you use.

In terms of endurance, this product does a good job of staying in your hair. As it is a light hold, don't expect to keep tremendous volume throughout the day. Your hair will shift towards a flatter state as the day goes - but here's the thing. It doesn't completely fail on you. The product stays in there for you to adjust it anytime. That's the beauty of products with lighter hold - you get a messy, loose aesthetic that is casual and great for days where you want to just chill and project a more"laid back" image.

Needless to say, if you want products that really keep your hairstyle glued in place/for slicking down your sides etc, this is not the product for you.

Washing it out completely with shampoo was no issue. Now one thing that I really, really like about this water based pomade is that it doesn't dry out your hair. I have tried some popular brand - water based gel pomades that really dries your hair out, and you can feel the dryness when washing it out from your hair after just one use. I did not have this experience with the Byrd light pomade. That is another major plus point.

All options considered, this pomade is defo worth a go for those who prefer a more, casual tossed to the side kind of hairstyle, yet still maintaining a hint of that slickness with a bit of that trademark natural shine that we expect out of a typical water based pomade.

dj_flame

Reaction score
Nichsong, how would you see Byrd's light and matte pomades working for longer pushed-back hair? (e.g. Bradley Cooper)

Also I concluded that HDF Hybridized Wax functions like a lighter version of Imperial Fiber Pomade with less hold.

Last edited:

nichsong

Reaction score
If I had to recommend between the two for that particular hairstyle (with our asian hair type), I'd say go for the matte pomade bro. You've tried Carter Supply Co's Flux yeah? Byrd's matte pomade is similar in terms of hold, but has a more "crunchy" finish which sort of sticks your hair together a little bit more. Flux is a little more malleable. I wouldn't recommend the light pomade for the mere reason that our hair tends to want to lie and droop off the top of our head by nature (our asain hair type). The strength is not enough to keep it up (It's a light pomade after all). I'd recommend it more for a casual side part!

Other than it's great to see another fellow hwz-er explore products which are not advertised as "super high hold" or "extreme hold". Have personally grown to love medium and even light hold products ever since I tried out Carter Supply Flux. In some ways I think it makes my hairstyles look even better and more natural :)

Nichsong, how would you see Byrd's light and matte pomades working for longer pushed-back hair? (e.g. Bradley Cooper)

Also I concluded that HDF Hybridized Wax functions like a lighter version of Imperial Fiber Pomade with less hold.

Last edited:

chillplz

Reaction score

this amdk at 2.34 mention that people with fine hair shouldnt allow the barber to use thinning scissor on their hair, does this only apply to amdk? cuz from wat i understand, wouldnt thinning scissor make ur hair lighter thus more volume?

nichsong

Reaction score
Yep you're right! For us Asians with fine hair, I feel that it is absolutely necessary for us to have our hair thinned out with thinning scissors from time to time - reason being is that our hair cannot take much weight.

The reason why Robin advised against using thinning scissors is because he likes to have his hair fuller on the top = more hair on the head in total = more weight. He's able to afford that because even though he has fine hair, angmoh hair tends to have that bit more natural volume than ours. For us, we have fine and LIMP hair. Which makes it even more susceptible to being weighed down.

Hope this makes sense. It's in my own personal experience that I find it necessary to have my hair thinned out in order achieve more volume :)

this amdk at 2.34 mention that people with fine hair shouldnt allow the barber to use thinning scissor on their hair, does this only apply to amdk? cuz from wat i understand, wouldnt thinning scissor make ur hair lighter thus more volume?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.