View Single Post
Old 13-08-2016, 06:15 PM   #8381
Jmathew1108

Hi, complete noob at aircons and seeking advice from experts here if possible:
- Staying in resale flat for about a decade, it came with Daikin aircons already installed: 3 same model FCU (FT2531V1) in 3 rooms + 1 bigger FCU in living room, only 1 compressor dunno what model or capacity. No idea BTU rating for the FCUs, but remember was told cannot switch on all 4 FCUs at same time. Not sure when aircons were installed but I'm already 3rd owner, so these aircons must be antiques!

- Know it runs against common advice but since we don't like sleeping with aircon so they were rarely used. Recently one of them finally conked out, no response to remote or only can on for few seconds to at most 1 hour. Even turned on by itself before. Now completely no response. Got someone from aircon servicing company to take a look, he said the sensor controller or something like that (where there's led light turned on when you press remote) needs to be replaced. His office said they will source for it & inform us but already quite long and still no news. So thinking about options to solve problem.

Questions:
- Can a single FCU be replaced in this situation? Room size is about 17sqm or 185 sq ft, so 9000BTU FCU sufficient? Budget constraint so not thinking about changing the entire system at this point.
- Can only use back Daikin or also other brands?
- Can reuse old piping or need to replace piping & hack walls? Understand old & newer systems use different coolants that are incompatible?
- I see that Sys 1 comes with its own compressor, so does it replace my old compressor or how?
- Any other things to consider?
- If replacing a single wall-mounted FCU is not very cost effective or is complicated considering all the factors, any use to get a portable aircon instead?

Sorry for being long winded. Hope to get some good advice & suggestions, appreciate all your help and thanks in advance.
I think your aircon should be a non inverter R22 system. Actually for non inverter systems it is very easy to replace the indoor unit as you can use any brand non inverter fan coil to replace the spoilt one. But daikin non inveter are very popular so should be no problem finding a replacement daikin.No need to do anything with the piping, just remove the old one and put in the replacement. Important thing is to ensure that the replacement is non inveter and runs on R22 coolant. But do note non inveter aircons have been mostly phased out since 2013 so you'll need to settle for a second hand refurbished unit as you pretty much can't buy a new one anymore. You can call up those companies that deal with second hand aircons and they will be able to assit you find a suitable replacement Fcu. Also second hand means the cost will also be kept to a minimum. I also don't use aircon much and my carrier non inverter system is more than 20 years old and when the original compressor died we changed to a sanyo one and it works fine till today. No need to change to a new system unless you really want to.

Last edited by Jmathew1108; 13-08-2016 at 06:20 PM..