View Single Post
Old 14-08-2016, 02:07 AM   #4662
Shiny Things
Supremacy Member

Hi shiny things, thanks for your reply. I have other questions:

1. Is there anyway that I can minimize the holding fee for ib? Keeping total asset above a certain value?
Yep. As long as you're above $100k USD of assets (cash, stocks, bonds, whatever), you won't get charged the $10/mo maintenance fee.

2. Is it possible for me to wire hkd from local account to ib directly without having to convert it into usd first?
Yep; you can deposit HKD straight into IBKR. I've never done it myself so I don't know whether you have to wire it or what, but there's definitely ways to do it (and then you can take advantage of IBKR's tight rates to change it to USD).

hi ST,

may I ask u... when u stock pick, if u do that, do you do valuation of the stock before the purchase?
I don't, mostly because I'm really bad at stockpicking. I stick to what I'm good at, and that's buying and holding.

what is your view on valuation, with the above in mind, where no one seems to be able to agree on it's fair price to pay for, so it seems?
So thinking about the valuation you're paying for a stock is a pretty sensible thing to do. You don't want to go buying stocks that are trading at huge earnings multiples; that's the entire principle of value investing. Except sometimes you do; that's the entire principle of momentum trading. And you never, ever, ever short stocks based on valuation (that's the idea behind the old chestnut "the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent").

So.... let's put it this way. Value is what you think the stock is worth, and generally you'd rather pay less for more value, than pay more for less value. But value is also subjective (except in a few special cases like the WHX closure trade), so you need to build in some margin for error if you're buying based on valuation. And a stock's momentum can sometimes run completely ahead of any possible valuation, which is how you get silliness like late-90s-era Qualcomm.