Sony Android TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck3128

Reaction score
signup for 1st month free trial, afterwhich u have to pay a monthly sub fee if you want to continue using netflix.

I've tried the trial 1-2 mths back. Seems not so updated on the movies and series (for Singapore).

Netfix said they gonna bring in more asian dramas and updated movies, not sure whether if its true.

Kusanagi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
though 1080 has been out for 7 years, you only very recently have full 1080p content. even most HD channels on starhub is not in native 1080p. if it is a bad show, a high resolution is not going to make it a good show. upscaled source is still upscaled crap. only native 1080p shot in that resolution is a real 1080p.

4k? by the time true 4k content is prevalent, your 4k or hdr tv is already outdated. think of 2017. your new 4k tv at home now will look bad compared to tvs of 2017. there is 4k content, prepare to pay premium price for it.

never buy into the future of immature stuff. besides, 60 inch below. do u stare at pixels or enjoying content.

These are numbers games TV companies play to sell.

agreed, along with the content available, viewing distance also plays a part

warr

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just like to check with the owner of sony android TV user here, is it still buggy and some will still auto restart?

And for **X8500C** user, can you guys share how's ur user experience with this model so far? I've did some research and narrow down my research into this model now :s12::s12::s12:

Thanks so much guys! =:p

comparably, it is more buggy than web OS and Firefox.
but if it is not major, u can just restart the tv, if u already intend to get the tv. lol.
i was watching the 55 inch at a relative's. youtube suddenly couldn't connect, though it is wired to the router. but phone can connect and play YouTube wirelessly.

ck3128

Reaction score
comparably, it is more buggy than web OS and Firefox.
but if it is not major, u can just restart the tv, if u already intend to get the tv. lol.
i was watching the 55 inch at a relative's. youtube suddenly couldn't connect, though it is wired to the router. but phone can connect and play YouTube wirelessly.

Yea, bought the 65 inch and enjoying it now. :s12:. I think so far so good with the Android OS (comparing with those reported keep on auto restart). I believe Sony fixed up some bugs on that.

Side track:- Do you encounter vignetting issue on your 55 inch Sony? I can notice the 4 corner of the screen slightly dark (only obvious when screen in pure white)?

You guys think this is the limitation of should I request for warranty? Appreciate any comments. :s13:

Tks guys

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
X8500C. I have a slight bias for Japanese brands. Am currently using a box TV from more than a decade ago. Every shop I visited actually recommended me a Samsung or LG model instead of the Sony.

Sent from my toaster oven using GAGT

Maybe you run into their own promoter so of cuz they
say Sony no good.
Sony is good but remember Android TV only Sony not Samsung.
Samsung is Smarthub, LG is webOS, totally different interface
and features.

Go with Sony no wrong, I myself also using Sony so far no issue.

warr

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sony is good, but why it's TV business always loses money?

whizzard

Reaction score
Sony is good, but why it's TV business always loses money?

When I was relocated back to Singapore in 2008, I bought a Samsung TV for my Living Room and another for my Bedroom. Both have since died and we have sold it off to the "karang guni" man.

On the other hand, we transported our Sony 40" back to Singapore and "touch wood", that TV is still functioning.

I bought Samsung because of all the publicity I read on how good their panels are, etc. Now, I will only buy Sony.

Nightwind

Reaction score
Yes Oleds have shorter shelf life. But at reduced shelf life of say 30k hrs, assuming 12hrs of daily use this works out to life span of about 7years.

Everything also looks much better on Oled, even SD pics, due to the infinite contrast.

And prices have fallen alot from $15k 5years ago to below $3k for 55" FHD Oleds. The 4k Oleds are more ex but some are below $4k

For ultimate pic quality, atm Oleds are the way to go.

One of the salesperson told me oled has the same problem with plasma, it will leave a burn mark by those watermark shown on the top left or right of the screen by the tv channel.

The samsung tv (42 inch) i had, the internal chipset faulty just within 3 month of purchase.

The lg tv 55 inch tv, brought since 2011 till now, still in tip top condition. No fault before.

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When I was relocated back to Singapore in 2008, I bought a Samsung TV for my Living Room and another for my Bedroom. Both have since died and we have sold it off to the "karang guni" man.

On the other hand, we transported our Sony 40" back to Singapore and "touch wood", that TV is still functioning.

I bought Samsung because of all the publicity I read on how good their panels are, etc. Now, I will only buy Sony.

I won a 42", Samsung "smart tv" in company dnd, end of 2011. It died on me on the last day of 2015. Board issues. Was quoted $280 for the replacement + labour cost by a repair shop, which I engaged to come my house to check. For Samsung to come my house to check, after warranty expired, it will cost me 100 over, just to check.

Later on we gave the tv to my in-laws, they asked their contractor to fix it, for $160, I think.

Bought a Sony as replacement, we are happy.

r0_ger

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Wanna revive this thread! Any apps to recommend for movie streaming?

James Tang

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe you run into their own promoter so of cuz they
say Sony no good.
Sony is good but remember Android TV only Sony not Samsung.
Samsung is Smarthub, LG is webOS, totally different interface
and features.

Go with Sony no wrong, I myself also using Sony so far no issue.

One very simple reason: higher profit margin, and higher commission.

pclow59

Master Member
Reaction score
Just bought the Sony Andriod TV, just want to know any one has link up an external keyboard with it ?

oric1

Reaction score
Hi I just got the 2016 sony android tv and looking for a suitable keyboard and trackpad to pair it with. Which particular model of keyboard are u using?

I bought the X8500D 65" 4K 2 months back and happily hooked up to the Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400r (using 2.4 GHz wireless) ($65).

sharang

Reaction score
I bought the X8500D 65" 4K 2 months back and happily hooked up to the Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400r (using 2.4 GHz wireless) ($65).

Thanks. I got the same TV model as yours but the 55 inch one. Read that some wireless keyboards are't compatible with sony TV (maybe that was in the past), but now i will get the logitech one too since it works with yours.

nomoney25

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi I just got the 2016 sony android tv and looking for a suitable keyboard and trackpad to pair it with. Which particular model of keyboard are u using?

The keyboard was a gift from Sony for my tv purchase. Model is BKB10. No track pad. It cost about $99 in retail which no one will be crazy to pay that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.