Car rental in Perth, Western Australia

Aimar2000

Reaction score
I booked with Thrifty Perth (Toyota Kluger) for my trip next month... 6 adults so quite limited choices. Airport pick up and return.

AUD 579.05 for 8 days with $4000 excess after a 12% discount code.

Then bought a car rental insurance separately from Tripcover - AUD 55.76 to reduce excess to $300 (which will be covered by my travel insurance)

Hope everything will go well.

Also hoping that it can fit 3 x 24inch luggage too.. else will prob have to put on laps for the journey from airport to apartment. hahaha.

How is your trip? Is Kluger boot space big enough to fit your luggage when 3rd row seat is up?

nivlac9

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the adv and suggestions! Driving in WA is indeed pretty awesome. Q5 was the perfect car to soak up the miles! Can't imagine doing it in a saloon. Aussie drivers are very courteous.

Parking in the city is super expensive. $5/hr 😳 else where was usually free.

Kn4PAZS.jpg

nlee84

Reaction score
How is your trip? Is Kluger boot space big enough to fit your luggage when 3rd row seat is up?

just came back... they gave me Pajero instead of Kluger. Boot space is tiny as with any 4WD. There were 6 of us, so we made use of one of the 3rd row seat to put our luggage as well when we collected the car at the airport. It was pretty cramped for the person in the 3rd row.

When going back, I got my uncle to help out by sending 2 pax in his car to the airport so that we can put down the 3rd row and put the luggage instead.

MadPrince

Reaction score
For a family of 4 adults driving in perth for the first time and taking the typical route of driving up to pinacle and down to MR, would we need a SUV or a normal sedan/saloon will do? Luggage wise probably 1 large and 1 small suitcase along with 2 large backpacks.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For a family of 4 adults driving in perth for the first time and taking the typical route of driving up to pinacle and down to MR, would we need a SUV or a normal sedan/saloon will do? Luggage wise probably 1 large and 1 small suitcase along with 2 large backpacks.

Just go for SUV or something within your budget, a saloon may be sufficient though.

Merkava

Master Member
Reaction score

I dun think SUV can fit all those bags.

My last trip, 2 large suitcase can fit into a Camry.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

SUVs have the ability to stack the luggage on top of each other.. i'm quite sure its sufficient.

klavier

Reaction score

SUVs have the ability to stack the luggage on top of each other.. i'm quite sure its sufficient.

Do they have the Nissan X-trail available for rent in Australia now? If so, it would be an ideal budget SUV for those who need space and dont want a fuel guzzler. The 2nd row is rather spacious and the 3rd row which is only suitable for young children can be folded down to give ample luggage space.

Merkava

Master Member
Reaction score

Yup, but problem is that all those bags & luggage will be expose to the 'public'.

Do they have the Nissan X-trail available for rent in Australia now? If so, it would be an ideal budget SUV for those who need space and dont want a fuel guzzler. The 2nd row is rather spacious and the 3rd row which is only suitable for young children can be folded down to give ample luggage space.

Yup, they do have X-trail BUT depends on your luck...

It is difficult for the companies to guarantee a specific model, usually it is subjective to availability.

nivlac9

Reaction score
Usually the rental coys say "equivalent", some will mention "exact model" those are gty

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe for e.g if you wanted an X-trail, the equivalent would be Outlander or something?

klavier

Reaction score
Maybe for e.g if you wanted an X-trail, the equivalent would be Outlander or something?

Well I was suggesting the Xtrail in reply to MadPrince's post in case he/she prefers to rent an SUV.

True the rental companies will probably say that the Outlander is the equivalent of the Xtrail but personally I find the boot size and comfort level is quite different across the compact SUV class vehicles. E.g. Madza CX5 probably gives the best driving experience but it is not exactly comfortable for the passengers given that the 2nd row is rather 'tight'. Same will apply to the Outlander. For me the best alternative to the Xtrail for passenger comfort and ample luggage space is the Honda CRV. No real experience with European cars though..

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just came back... they gave me Pajero instead of Kluger. Boot space is tiny as with any 4WD. There were 6 of us, so we made use of one of the 3rd row seat to put our luggage as well when we collected the car at the airport. It was pretty cramped for the person in the 3rd row.

When going back, I got my uncle to help out by sending 2 pax in his car to the airport so that we can put down the 3rd row and put the luggage instead.

Hi. Can I check if the boot space of your rental Pajero is like this? Enough for 2 check-in luggage rite?

2016_07_01_mitsu_pajero_sport04.jpg

keith00

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the adv and suggestions! Driving in WA is indeed pretty awesome. Q5 was the perfect car to soak up the miles! Can't imagine doing it in a saloon. Aussie drivers are very courteous.

Parking in the city is super expensive. $5/hr �� else where was usually free.

Kn4PAZS.jpg

Got to agree aussie driver are really courteous.. very good driving habits, signal, giving way etc Can hardly see any cars lane changing even on highway. Everyone are driving orderly.
Unlike driving in Sg...
*tips- best day of the week to fuel up is Monday! cheapest of the week!!
Price diff can be like 0.12 cent compare to other days.

Last edited:

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not really, for WA, the cheapest day of the week is Wed.. before it peaks from Thurs to Sun..

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
Not really, for WA, the cheapest day of the week is Wed.. before it peaks from Thurs to Sun..

Quite a few people (especially the lower end workers) get their wages paid on a weekly basis. No prizes for guessing which day they get paid...

nlee84

Reaction score
Hi. Can I check if the boot space of your rental Pajero is like this? Enough for 2 check-in luggage rite?

2016_07_01_mitsu_pajero_sport04.jpg

no leh..the boot space is TINY. i just barely managed to put 2 luggage (24inch) at the back - standing, side by side. Too fat, then the door can't close. I had 6 adults, so I ended up having to put one luggage on the seat.

jittery

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i reserved a toyota tarago, dunno boot big enough for 2 luggage.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.