Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

lowjonathan

Reaction score
I read in the threads SmartDNSProxy = Getflix.

So if i sign up getflix, i should get smart DNS Proxy feature as well?

Thanks

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any guide on setting up VPN on AWS EC2?

Thank you :s12:

Plentiful actually. :)

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vp...-your-own-free-vpn-using-amazon-web-services/

https://www.webdigi.co.uk/blog/2015...ee-vpn-on-the-amazon-aws-cloud-in-10-minutes/

http://www.stormacq.com/build-a-private-vpn-server-on-amazons-ec2/

AWS EC2 or any dedicated server out there are similar :)

The popular choices are OpenVPN, IPSEC, PPTP

If you know your *nix skill, you will find even just a simple *nix server with Apache HTTPd or simply just SSH is a "VPN" that you guys are looking for. Actually what this "VPN" thingie that you guys are looking for is more like a Bastion server rather than the true purpose of VPN.

dinosaur2776

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, does our isp throttle speeds during live streaming, esp football streaming?

Im on m1 and i always buffer a lot during football streaming. My friend who is on singtel dont have this.

My point is does gettinf a vpn helps to solve this?

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, does our isp throttle speeds during live streaming, esp football streaming?

Im on m1 and i always buffer a lot during football streaming. My friend who is on singtel dont have this.

My point is does gettinf a vpn helps to solve this?

Yes and no. You probably need to test things out. Using VPN add on additional network overhead and these services are shared with a lot of other subscribers, so if you are using, others could be using too. At the end, who oversell more - Your ISP or the VPN service, it is quite an unknown factor. There are quite a few technical factors involved here, like which CDN edge server you are connecting to, are you using the nearest CDN edge server, which can at times be affected by which DNS server you are using, and of course, can you be sure your ISP is the one throttling ?

lowjonathan

Reaction score
Just a quick question on getflix

just to check which file to use for asus rt68u?

there are TCP53, 80, 443 & 1194 & UDP53, 80, 443 &1194?

many thks

MuggerX

Reaction score
Anyone using express vpn? How are the reviews like in sg? Saw on some recommendations that it's the most stable vpn, would not mind the high pricing

steven168z

Master Member
Reaction score
Govt wants feedback on VPN access

The legality of virtual private network (VPN) technology, which allows unauthorised content from overseas to be accessed, is being reviewed.

The review is part of more than a dozen wide-ranging revisions the Ministry of Law (MinLaw) is suggesting to be made to the Copyright Act, which was last majorly updated in 2004.

MinLaw did not recommend an outcome on the use of VPN in the consultation papers released yesterday.

But it called for public feedback on whether current rules governing the circumvention of digital locks on copyrighted work needs to be updated. These locks restrict access to or use of the content.

The Intellectual Property Office of Singapore (Ipos), which had a part in putting together the consultation paper, recognises that there are "some complications" surrounding the use of VPN.

"There are some concerns that bypassing geographical blocks could infringe copyright," said Daren Tang, chief executive of Ipos.

Nevertheless, Singapore remains a strong supporter of parallel import, which is essentially what VPN allows in the digital world, he added.

The law generally does not allow digital locks on copyrighted works to be circumvented.

But there are a few exceptions.

For instance, tertiary educational institutions can unlock short clips of films to critique them, and libraries are allowed to unlock old software to preserve it in an operational state.

The law is silent on the use of VPN technology for accessing blocked content.

Consumers in Singapore have been using it to stream content meant for other markets from legitimate video-streaming sites. But there is pressure from content publishers to change that.

The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry, which represents more than 1,000 producers and distributors of sound recordings, believes VPN users should not be allowed to circumvent geographical blocks.

"This idea of parallel import is based on pricing alone," said Ang Kwee Tiang, its regional director for Asia.

"It is effectively a race to the bottom, forcing Singapore to become an importer of content instead of a producer or distributor of content domestically."

Experts say it is impossible to outlaw VPN, which also has legitimate uses - for instance, securing corporate access to information over the Web.

"But the law can clarify that VPNs cannot be used to access certain types of restricted content," said Jonathan Kok, intellectual property (IP) and technology lawyer at RHTLaw Taylor Wessing.

IP lawyer Cyril Chua of Robinson LLC said if the law was to be amended to regulate the source of content, shops selling Android media boxes preloaded with apps for movie streaming could be hit.

Other revisions proposed include legalising data collation for data mining even as analytics becomes increasingly important to economic growth, and allowing public schools to reproduce and share content on websites for teaching purposes.

The consultation will end on Oct 24.

"These reviews will further strengthen our regime and allow it to keep current with technological advances, business needs and societal developments," said Senior Minister of State for Law and Finance Indranee Rajah, speaking at the opening of the 5th annual IP Week@SG 2016 event at Marina Bay Sands yesterday.

"IP is not just about law.

"IP is also about business and innovation."

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/govt-wants-feedback-vpn-access

hnzfaz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Govt wants feedback on VPN access

The legality of virtual private network (VPN) technology, which allows unauthorised content from overseas to be accessed, is being reviewed.

The review is part of more than a dozen wide-ranging revisions the Ministry of Law (MinLaw) is suggesting to be made to the Copyright Act, which was last majorly updated in 2004.

MinLaw did not recommend an outcome on the use of VPN in the consultation papers released yesterday.

But it called for public feedback on whether current rules governing the circumvention of digital locks on copyrighted work needs to be updated. These locks restrict access to or use of the content.

The Intellectual Property Office of Singapore (Ipos), which had a part in putting together the consultation paper, recognises that there are "some complications" surrounding the use of VPN.

"There are some concerns that bypassing geographical blocks could infringe copyright," said Daren Tang, chief executive of Ipos.

Nevertheless, Singapore remains a strong supporter of parallel import, which is essentially what VPN allows in the digital world, he added.

The law generally does not allow digital locks on copyrighted works to be circumvented.

But there are a few exceptions.

For instance, tertiary educational institutions can unlock short clips of films to critique them, and libraries are allowed to unlock old software to preserve it in an operational state.

The law is silent on the use of VPN technology for accessing blocked content.

Consumers in Singapore have been using it to stream content meant for other markets from legitimate video-streaming sites. But there is pressure from content publishers to change that.

The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry, which represents more than 1,000 producers and distributors of sound recordings, believes VPN users should not be allowed to circumvent geographical blocks.

"This idea of parallel import is based on pricing alone," said Ang Kwee Tiang, its regional director for Asia.

"It is effectively a race to the bottom, forcing Singapore to become an importer of content instead of a producer or distributor of content domestically."

Experts say it is impossible to outlaw VPN, which also has legitimate uses - for instance, securing corporate access to information over the Web.

"But the law can clarify that VPNs cannot be used to access certain types of restricted content," said Jonathan Kok, intellectual property (IP) and technology lawyer at RHTLaw Taylor Wessing.

IP lawyer Cyril Chua of Robinson LLC said if the law was to be amended to regulate the source of content, shops selling Android media boxes preloaded with apps for movie streaming could be hit.

Other revisions proposed include legalising data collation for data mining even as analytics becomes increasingly important to economic growth, and allowing public schools to reproduce and share content on websites for teaching purposes.

The consultation will end on Oct 24.

"These reviews will further strengthen our regime and allow it to keep current with technological advances, business needs and societal developments," said Senior Minister of State for Law and Finance Indranee Rajah, speaking at the opening of the 5th annual IP Week@SG 2016 event at Marina Bay Sands yesterday.

"IP is not just about law.

"IP is also about business and innovation."

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/govt-wants-feedback-vpn-access

Anything to do with tpp?

ridney

Reaction score
Anyone using express vpn? How are the reviews like in sg? Saw on some recommendations that it's the most stable vpn, would not mind the high pricing

i just subscribed yesterday and it's working. no buffering issues so far. netflix videos loads almost instantly. using apple tv 3

esfar.gt

Reaction score
To be very honest, it is very hard to discriminate between some of the Top VPN service providers as most of them offering similar kind of services, speed, encryption etc. You will hear all those marketing gimmicks, similar sort of features with catchy names. So my recommendation would be a VPN having servers in 100+ countries with 400+ servers, No Log Policy, multiple protocols, 5 multiple logins and most importantly price as you want a great value for your money.

I am not representing any of the VPN service provider so won't share the link: I would appreciate if you figure them out by yourself but for your assistance, just look for Purevpn, Express and Vypr. Whichever suits your budget and need, go for it. Cheers

steven168z

Master Member
Reaction score
To be very honest, it is very hard to discriminate between some of the Top VPN service providers as most of them offering similar kind of services, speed, encryption etc. You will hear all those marketing gimmicks, similar sort of features with catchy names. So my recommendation would be a VPN having servers in 100+ countries with 400+ servers, No Log Policy, multiple protocols, 5 multiple logins and most importantly price as you want a great value for your money.

I am not representing any of the VPN service provider so won't share the link: I would appreciate if you figure them out by yourself but for your assistance, just look for Purevpn, Express and Vypr. Whichever suits your budget and need, go for it. Cheers

hmm....

esfar.gt

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.