Wise to get a PS3 ??

STiTUNED

Reaction score
Hi all gamers ,

I am considering getting a used PS3 Fat , not sure if it's advisable to do so since the console had been launched quite some time back.

I am not looking at Long hours gaming , maybe just switching on the console for some game to relax myself.

Sceptical though as he assured me that the console is in working condition.

Need your advise and thanks in advance !

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
Do NOT buy a PS3 Fat!

There are very very few sets that are still actually working now. Even if someone says it's working and powers it on to show you that it's working, it may just work for an short time and just drop dead any moment. Very very high chance of that happening. Not worth the risk.

qwertified

Reaction score
He now say no prob, so old production unit, once u bring home along the way car/bus/mrt shake abit the thing probably gone case

DrBaldwin

Reaction score
I have a ps3 Fat. It kena YLOD. I had it repaired. less than 6 months later, YLOD again.

Do Not Buy PS3 Fat or even Slim. If you must, get the Super Slim.

STiTUNED

Reaction score
I have a ps3 Fat. It kena YLOD. I had it repaired. less than 6 months later, YLOD again.

Do Not Buy PS3 Fat or even Slim. If you must, get the Super Slim.

Wahhh how much did you repaired for ?

Btw will changing the HDD solve ?

lifeishard

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My fat died and i bought a used ps3 slim, so far so good but now i put it on top of my tv console (last time phat i leave it inside) with my lego pieces as stand for better airflow haha...

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
Wahhh how much did you repaired for ?

Btw will changing the HDD solve ?
Don't even think about it lah, don't be tempted. YLOD no fix one, Sony only replaces the whole motherboard, but of cos they stopped doing repairs long long time ago. Other third party can try fixing using reflow of solder and such (iirc ppl were paying $150 or above for such service) but still no guarantee, sure die again after a few months. And it doesn't matter how often you use it, you keep in storage never on it also can fail again. Changing HDD makes absolutely no difference, not even theoretically. Seriously, let it go, not worth considering. At least go for a slim. (My main PS3 is a slim, still using frequently today, never encounter hardware problem.)

STiTUNED

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies :)

I just got a used PS3 slim . Model number is 3006.

Not sure how to power off correctly since there's no power button

frostii

Reaction score
Hi all gamers ,

I am considering getting a used PS3 Fat , not sure if it's advisable to do so since the console had been launched quite some time back.

I am not looking at Long hours gaming , maybe just switching on the console for some game to relax myself.

Sceptical though as he assured me that the console is in working condition.

Need your advise and thanks in advance !

I dont think the fat and slim prices would differ too much. I rather pay a few bucks more to get something that is better. just my 2 cents

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
Not sure how to power off correctly since there's no power button
The PS3 slim has a round power button in front of the disc slot, it's a soft touch switch. However for PS3/PS4 we generally don't use the power button to on/off.

To turn on, press the PS button on the controller (press and release once). Of cos you need to turn on the wall socket/power extension mains power first.

To turn off, either: (a) press and hold the PS button on the controller, wait for a menu to pop up, select from there, (b) on the PS3's system menu (called XMB, Xross media bar), scroll to the left most (which is where you select the user), then scroll up on that column to the top (instead of a user, the top item is to power off). After that you can turn off the wall socket power if you want.

Download the manual for more details: https://asia.playstation.com/sg/en/support/sysmanual/ps3 (should be this)

STiTUNED

Reaction score
The PS3 slim has a round power button in front of the disc slot, it's a soft touch switch. However for PS3/PS4 we generally don't use the power button to on/off.

To turn on, press the PS button on the controller (press and release once). Of cos you need to turn on the wall socket/power extension mains power first.

To turn off, either: (a) press and hold the PS button on the controller, wait for a menu to pop up, select from there, (b) on the PS3's system menu (called XMB, Xross media bar), scroll to the left most (which is where you select the user), then scroll up on that column to the top (instead of a user, the top item is to power off). After that you can turn off the wall socket power if you want.

Download the manual for more details: https://asia.playstation.com/sg/en/support/sysmanual/ps3 (should be this)

Thanks for the tips. Will it hurts the system if I press the power button in front of the disk slot to power on & off?

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. Will it hurts the system if I press the power button in front of the disk slot to power on & off?
Nope, the round power button is designed for that purpose, so it shouldn't cause any harm. (Press/release the power button and press/hold the power button do different things, so it could get confusing some times if you are not familiar with it.)

Basically it's just a matter of individual preference and habit. For me, I always leave the wall socket mains power on, my games are mostly digital so I don't have to insert disc into the ps3 slot (some people will just leave a game disc inside if they are going to continue playing soon), my ps3 sits on a shelf above the tv, so it's a tiny bit harder to reach than just grabbing the controller and press PS button there (even if I use the power button to turn on the ps3 I will still have to press the controller's PS button to turn on the controller anyway).

jtdcjtdc

Reaction score
Its so hard to find a trustworthy set, let alone a new one. Care to share any leads? My PS3 fat is unreliable already.

networked

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ps3 used sets are not difficult to find. Try the usual gamewerks (clementi) which they take in old console sets and they tested it before resale.

What are hard to find are new original dualshocks3.
Used dualshocks3 are always sticky and loose analogs.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.