Things you should read before buying an endowment plan

akwl88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup. Already did and am now spreading the gospel to my younger colleagues. Better late than never. AK21 is also a good blog for me to learn more about passive investment as I am quite lazy in nature. Hahha.

You mean assi? :o

Earnasyougrow

Reaction score
There's always segments of gullible people in every community which needs protection. Just like we need protection by police from criminals (because we're weak and can't defend ourselves from those monsters with weapons), these gullible people are also weak and needs protection from the insurance monsters. I'd say it's high time the government steps on on new laws to punish and jail these monsters

Yes! Based on the policies I have surrendered like 2 ILPs, 2 CPF Investment and 1 Endownment easily 20-30k loss. I am not a high earner and not financially smart when I am younger but I am a good prey for these jackals. SORRY if I have insulted jackals. I have learned to treat these $30k as my degree to financial freedom and buy the $8 book from Shiny Thing. Thank God for letting me open my eyes at 36 and not 56 years old!

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As promised, here is the latest BI of my one and only participating policy (endowment) from an insurance company. It is an 18-year policy so I am halfway there.

At that time, this was the only plan that can offer a guaranteed value higher than the premiums paid based on my affordability. The other one was from TM but I need to pay higher monthly premiums.

Guaranteed yield of policy upon maturity = 0.72%
Non-guaranteed yield of policy upon maturity = 1.62%

e9buvb.jpg

WagnerChun

Reaction score
Didn't read the thread but i wonder why no one mentioned STI ETF? Is a supposed 8.4% annualised return. I was surprised to see the guaranteed return is only 0.72% for a 10+++ year endowment plan. That's actually worse than bank fixed D now.

STI ETF is super easy to buy now. You can buy through banks or online if you don't know how to on trading platforms. If you know how, share them with your younger friends and how it may help them generate more returns in future than ilps or endowments.

Coming to the hate part. I always wonder where the money from the many many incentive trips that my agent friends get to enjoy every few months. Wait. Its your hardearned money used to fund someone else's travel! Sounds great!

akwl88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As promised, here is the latest BI of my one and only participating policy (endowment) from an insurance company. It is an 18-year policy so I am halfway there.

At that time, this was the only plan that can offer a guaranteed value higher than the premiums paid based on my affordability. The other one was from TM but I need to pay higher monthly premiums.

Guaranteed yield of policy upon maturity = 0.72%
Non-guaranteed yield of policy upon maturity = 1.62%

e9buvb.jpg

wah bro, how come the returns so cui? :eek:

akwl88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Didn't read the thread but i wonder why no one mentioned STI ETF? Is a supposed 8.4% annualised return. I was surprised to see the guaranteed return is only 0.72% for a 10+++ year endowment plan. That's actually worse than bank fixed D now.

STI ETF is super easy to buy now. You can buy through banks or online if you don't know how to on trading platforms. If you know how, share them with your younger friends and how it may help them generate more returns in future than ilps or endowments.

Coming to the hate part. I always wonder where the money from the many many incentive trips that my agent friends get to enjoy every few months. Wait. Its your hardearned money used to fund someone else's travel! Sounds great!

i alr mentioned this liao in so many threads here and always kenna bashed by insurance agents :(

WagnerChun

Reaction score
i alr mentioned this liao in so many threads here and always kenna bashed by insurance agents :(

Its ok la bro. We can only educate our loved ones who are willing to listen. Same like my mom, already 60, i buy for her hospitalisation plan cause its really important. Term plan, i tell her don't need la. If she really anything happen, i dont want take her money also. No point.

Like some agents tell me before to buy my term plan until 99 la, why only until 65. If i pass away 75 years old how? Then i said by then my child alr 30+ or 40+ dont need my money to take care of him alr (i.e. my dependent). Then the agent tell me how you want your grandchildren remember you? I said if my grandchildren remember me only because of my 1 million then they should be struck by lightning!

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wah bro, how come the returns so cui? :eek:

It was bought 10 years ago. My one and only participating policy from an insurance company. If I can turn back time, do you think I will sign up for this plan? :s13:

The post was meant for information sharing in this thread.

WagnerChun

Reaction score
Insurance when it begun at its most pure sense was supposed to let me (if im agent) help and protect your life, and in the mean time, i earn my living.

But now it has deteriorated into let me (if im agent) earn so much to get my bmw/condo/incentive trips by selling you things that may/may not (most cases) help you. The incentive of motivation is already a conflicting interests in its core. So why should they care more about your money when their own money/target is much much much more important

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
Insurance when it begun at its most pure sense was supposed to let me (if im agent) help and protect your life, and in the mean time, i earn my living.

But now it has deteriorated into let me (if im agent) earn so much to get my bmw/condo/incentive trips by selling you things that may/may not (most cases) help you. The incentive of motivation is already a conflicting interests in its core. So why should they care more about your money when their own money/target is much much much more important

Well said :s12::s12:

Unfortunately, they will not agree with what you said

bjornng

Master Member
Reaction score
hi guys, would just like to humbly seek your opinion on my endowment policy from ntuc income that my dad got for me (he was an ntuc agent before). i've been trying my best to understand all these policies, but somehow i always feel that im missing something out, hope you guys could educate and enlighten me further!

2s7j7zd.png

this is a 20 years term plan that was bought for me when i was 15 YO. just 1 question i would like to ask:

1) should i just look at the guaranteed portion after maturity? what about the non-guaranteed portion? i believe the insurance company will at least provide a 2.7x% (correct if me im wrong pls) investment return, which will be based on the market or something?

looking forward to all of your expertise. thank you!

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
Guaranteed amount is slightly lower than total premiums paid

CAGR is 2.29% (please correct me if wrong) if considering the projected total amount stated in the BI, which is $16,075

I would not look too deep at what it states on the BI about breakeven at 10th year

akwl88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is this the latest BI? Because the original BI and current BI values will differ

I calculated the irr to be 4.1%, correctme if i am wrong.this is assuming the policy meets the 5.25% projection

bjornng

Master Member
Reaction score
i think so..? this was the policy that my dad passed to me. i believe there shouldn't be any changes.. will login to ntuc income to double check again..

bjornng

Master Member
Reaction score
Guaranteed amount is slightly lower than total premiums paid

CAGR is 2.29% (please correct me if wrong) if considering the projected total amount stated in the BI, which is $16,075

I would not look too deep at what it states on the BI about breakeven at 10th year

hi mrclubbie,

thank you for your reply! yes, i won't be surrendering this policy for now.. since i'm already halfway through already. just wanna seek all your opinions on whether this policy is "reasonable".

but back to my question, what are the odds that insurance company pay out the non-guarantee portion? because since my guaranteed is lower than premiums paid.

thanks again!

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
i think so..? this was the policy that my dad passed to me. i believe there shouldn't be any changes.. will login to ntuc income to double check again..

BI will change, best is get the updated BI

bjornng

Master Member
Reaction score
BI will change, best is get the updated BI

hi mrclubbie,

understood. may i know how should i go about getting the latest BI? calling up ntuc and asking them to send it to me?

while i'm on this, i have 2 whole life policies with ntuc income also; will life policies also have changes to its BI?

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To me, it unlikely to get the maturity sum of 16,075 which translate to a 4.1% return per annum. You will be lucky if you get 3% or about 14,142.

From the BI, at end of each year, your cash value is less than the accumulated premium paid and you will lose if you surrender before end of 10 years without taking into account interest loss. If the declared bonus is less than projected, the breakeven point may be 13 or more years.

The NG value is the bonus that it will declare at the end of each year and accumulate. So at each point you look at the guaranteed amount plus the accumulated bonus that has been declared to get your cash value.

Since you are half way through, say end of 10 year, look out for the accumulated bonus that has been declared and compare to the projected NG value and you will have a rough idea whether you will get the projected NG value of 6,075. Quite certainly, it's less. Please let us know the numbers.

Last edited:

akwl88

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi mrclubbie,

understood. may i know how should i go about getting the latest BI? calling up ntuc and asking them to send it to me?

while i'm on this, i have 2 whole life policies with ntuc income also; will life policies also have changes to its BI?

You can log in ntuc online to check your acct.

Yup whole life have non guranteed portions too so the figures will change.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.