Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Announced!

ydcydc

Reaction score
Paperwhite is really quite good.. Had been using it ever since the first version came out =)

Pluiey

Reaction score
Paperwhite is good stuff.

Totally worth the investment vs the original kindle

ylime87

Reaction score
Hi all. I was thinking of getting the kindle paperwhite through qoo10. It's now priced at $175. Is it a good deal?

wilflare

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
wonder when Amazon will release Kindles that support Audiobooks (the earliest ones did)

ivan.ddt

Reaction score
Thinking about getting a PW, but where should I get it from? There are two options right now the way I see it.

1. Get from Amazon direct with the Essentials bundle. This is 160 USD which includes original cover and power adapter. Including shipping should amount to about SGD240. Comes with 1 year warranty directly from Amazon.
2. Get from fellow SG online sellers. This typically is about SGD180 including a replica case depending on where you get it from. Usually it's with 7 days 1-1 for gross defects and six months to a year Amazon warranty.

Is the $60 price difference worth it for the case?

imacbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a PW, but where should I get it from? There are two options right now the way I see it.

1. Get from Amazon direct with the Essentials bundle. This is 160 USD which includes original cover and power adapter. Including shipping should amount to about SGD240. Comes with 1 year warranty directly from Amazon.
2. Get from fellow SG online sellers. This typically is about SGD180 including a replica case depending on where you get it from. Usually it's with 7 days 1-1 for gross defects and six months to a year Amazon warranty.

to each his own,
some people prefer everything original even just a case.

personally, purchased a 10 bucks knock off which frankly speaking feels no difference and is practical. then again, i removed the case after a while as it feel better holding the reader naked.

if u do not need the case, u do not need the power adapter too.
any smart phone charger can charge the device. am using a multiport desktop charger with my smartphone cable.

jeffyen2

Reaction score

There seems to be something amiss with the numbers as in the local price is cheaper than Amazon's price. That doesn't seem right. Or it can be true, but they are really 2 different variants (maybe it's a Japanese set.)

ivan.ddt

Reaction score
There seems to be something amiss with the numbers as in the local price is cheaper than Amazon's price. That doesn't seem right. Or it can be true, but they are really 2 different variants (maybe it's a Japanese set.)

The sellers claim they are US sets (one from Carousell, another from a blog page, there's also Lazada and Qoo10). From Google's exchange rates, getting from Amazon will cost me about SGD167 (USD120) which is about SGD10-20 cheaper than those sellers that I have found. Adding shipping should put them to about the same price.

Of course, I haven't exactly bought from those sellers yet so maybe the prices they show are not what they seem to be? Most of them do however offer some sort of 1-1 exchange policy and 6 months Amazon warranty, while buying direct is 1 year warranty.

hnzfaz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The sellers claim they are US sets (one from Carousell, another from a blog page, there's also Lazada and Qoo10). From Google's exchange rates, getting from Amazon will cost me about SGD167 (USD120) which is about SGD10-20 cheaper than those sellers that I have found. Adding shipping should put them to about the same price.

Of course, I haven't exactly bought from those sellers yet so maybe the prices they show are not what they seem to be? Most of them do however offer some sort of 1-1 exchange policy and 6 months Amazon warranty, while buying direct is 1 year warranty.

Check with them if the sets they're selling have 4gb of storage and the screen res is 300ppi (which would be the latest specs). They may be clearing older editions at cost prices.

ivan.ddt

Reaction score
I have bought the Kindle PW from Carousell and indeed the units are the latest generation with 300ppi and 4GB storage. Quite happy with that.

Just want to ask about buying e-books from Amazon. I keep reading online about using VPN+Gift cards in order to keep your Amazon account from being suspended. However I previously bought a book using my local Citibank credit card and read it using the Kindle Cloud Reader. On the other hand, there are some sites/people suggesting there is a non-US catalog and we are free to use it, and even using the Kindle store within the PW to purchase without risk of being suspended.

Any insights on this?

Last edited:

jeffyen2

Reaction score
I have bought the Kindle PW from Carousell and indeed the units are the latest generation with 300ppi and 4GB storage. Quite happy with that.

Just want to ask about buying e-books from Amazon. I keep reading online about using VPN+Gift cards in order to keep your Amazon account from being suspended. However I previously bought a book using my local Citibank credit card and read it using the Kindle Cloud Reader. On the other hand, there are some sites/people suggesting there is a non-US catalog and we are free to use it, and even using the Kindle store within the PW to purchase without risk of being suspended.

Any insights on this?

There are several permutations to this, and it's hard to pin down cause and effect. The bottom line is that if you're able to buy books using your local cc, that's good. Case closed. :)

I'm curious about the serial number of your unit, could you share? Menu>settings>menu>device info. First 6 characters. Gxxxxx

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.