Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I know I can buy separately, but I don't see any reason why I should use suica in Kyoto while having to pay for Haruka at full price, when I can just return suica in Tokyo, and purchase ICOCA+Haruka as a package so that the Haruka express which I'll be taking from Kyoto to KIX will be at a discounted price.

Am I missing something here? :(

For example if you are taking Haruka to and from from KIX to Kyoto, u just need to buy the 3200 round trip Haruka. The regular price will cost you 6340. Its a good deal. If you need ICOCA, u just top up 2000yen more, which is the std price for every ICOCA bundle or not.

lcpteck

Master Member
Reaction score
Once you have an ICOCA IC Card, do keep it for the rest of your future Japan trips.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
For example if you are taking Haruka to and from from KIX to Kyoto, u just need to buy the 3200 round trip Haruka. The regular price will cost you 6340. Its a good deal. If you need ICOCA, u just top up 2000yen more, which is the std price for every ICOCA bundle or not.

Ah. Just that for my trip, I only needed a one way Haruka from Kyoto to KIX. That was probably why I was confused - you were talking about the round trip deal, whereas I was only looking for one way. I don't think there was any one-way Haruka discount unless I have an ICOCA card. :D Noted your advice regarding the round trip though, thanks!

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ah. Just that for my trip, I only needed a one way Haruka from Kyoto to KIX. That was probably why I was confused - you were talking about the round trip deal, whereas I was only looking for one way. I don't think there was any one-way Haruka discount unless I have an ICOCA card. :D Noted your advice regarding the round trip though, thanks!

sorry I have confused you, if you have only SUICA then yes, you need to buy the ICOCA+HARUKA bundle to enjoy the discount.

gentoro

Master Member
Reaction score
I heard hakone is nice and pretty but close and dead town once hit 6pm while in Dec. Since we will be staying and driving there for 2 nights, as a family, can bro help to direct any cosy mall or chill out place ard hakone or nearby prefecture?

Google map location will be absolutely helpful. Thanks in advance.

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I heard hakone is nice and pretty but close and dead town once hit 6pm while in Dec. Since we will be staying and driving there for 2 nights, as a family, can bro help to direct any cosy mall or chill out place ard hakone or nearby prefecture?

Google map location will be absolutely helpful. Thanks in advance.

People staying at hakone will stay at ryokan. Ryokan normally stay their dinner at 6pm (Included in the room rates).
And then dinner will end around 8pm.
Then will go for onsen in the ryokan after dinner before sleeping.

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't go through the whole thread. Mind sharing your top 10 restaurants in Tokyo? Will be there next week.

Sent from lala using GAGT

Not sure top 10 but below are the well known restaurants in Tokyo

Quintessence
Sushi Saito
Sugita
Matsukawa
Kyoaji
L'Effervescence
Torishiki
Esquisse
Equateur
Jiro
Mitani
Hatsunesushi
Joel Robuchon
L'osier
Tomura
Sushi Sho
Eigetsu
Kohaku
Ishikawa
Fukamachi
Kurogi
Tokami
Jimbocho Den
Hakutaka
Yoroniku

Maybe i missed some~

orange_sky

Reaction score
Not sure top 10 but below are the well known restaurants in Tokyo

Quintessence
Sushi Saito
Sugita
Matsukawa
Kyoaji
L'Effervescence
Torishiki
Esquisse
Equateur
Jiro
Mitani
Hatsunesushi
Joel Robuchon
L'osier
Tomura
Sushi Sho
Eigetsu
Kohaku
Ishikawa
Fukamachi
Kurogi
Tokami
Jimbocho Den
Hakutaka
Yoroniku

Maybe i missed some~
Thanks again. Sorry for making you reply in two threads

How much does lunch at Fukamachi and tokami cost?

Last edited:

akloaklo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm going tokyo this dec. Is 2-10 degree celcius very cold?

I know I need a down jacket which I will get from uniqlo but not sure if I need other warm clothes.

From SG:
Wear polo tee + jeans there. Down jacket pack in handcarry. Reach japan then put on down jacket if too cold.

In japan:
T-shirt + uniqlo fleece long sleeve shirt + down jacket (Is this over kill?)
or
t-shirt/long sleeve shirt + down jacket (just what I wear in sg + down jacket).

Is jeans enough to tank the cold or need inner layer for bottoms too?

I know being able to tank the cold differs from people to people but what did you wear for december weather?

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

I know I need a down jacket which I will get from uniqlo but not sure if I need other warm clothes.

From SG:
Wear polo tee + jeans there. Down jacket pack in handcarry. Reach japan then put on down jacket if too cold.

In japan:
or

I know being able to tank the cold differs from people to people but what did you wear for december weather?

I'm heading to Tokyo in December too. Here's what I'm planning to wear: t-shirt and fleece zipped jacket from uniqlo. I'll have a light down parka (not the ultra down version) from uniqlo in my bag just in case, though I doubt I'll need it unless it's windy.

For bottoms, I'm going with jeans only. Normal jeans, not heattech. I'm pretty sure that'll be fine. I was fine just wearing jeans when it's -10. As long as there's no strong winds, it'll be fine.

Winter clothing for me is always layering. A base t-shirt, and everything else on top of it will be zipped versions - for easy layering and removal. If I find what I'm bringing is not enough, I'll just pop into one of their many uniqlo stores to grab another layer.

There's no need to fret about the clothes, really. Your preparation seems good enough. If you find that you still can't tank the cold when you reach, then just go to their department stores or uniqlo to buy more after you check in to your hotel.

Phaces

Reaction score
I'm planning a 2 week solo trip from end Nov to Early Dec. My first time to Japan and I plan to cover these places:

Tokyo (1 night) - Lake Kawaguchiko (2N) - Nagoya (2N) - Kyoto (2N)- Osaka (2N) - Shirakawago (2N) - Tokyo (2N)

Will this be too rushed? I still have one more extra night, where should I spend it in? What kind of train passes would you recommend?

Last edited:

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm planning a 2 week solo trip from end Nov to Early Dec. My first time to Japan and I plan to cover these places:

Tokyo (1 night) - Lake Kawaguchiko (2N) - Nagoya (2N) - Kyoto (2N)- Osaka (2N) - Shirakawago (2N) - Tokyo (2N)

Will this be too rushed? I still have one more extra night, where should I spend it in? What kind of train passes would you recommend?

u going to switch 7 hotels in 2 weeks? my next trip i switching 7 hotels but in 5 weeks.
So i would say u are a bit rush especially for switching hotels.

like not settle yet then need to pack and change hotels
What i would do is 7 nights in Tokyo and 7 nights in Kyoto. Switch your departure flight to KIX
1 week is barely enough to properly explore Tokyo and Kyoto each.

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

From SG:

In japan:
or

Not that cold for me. I wear Polo T shirt and normal jacket. Not down jacket.
Jeans enough. no need inner layer. December still fine.

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks again. Sorry for making you reply in two threads

How much does lunch at Fukamachi and tokami cost?

Fukamachi got different set for lunch. maximum around 10k yen.
I recommend getting the most expensive menu. and side order uni tempura

Tokami i am not too sure. i ate dinner.
full sushi course normally take 2-2.5 hours long. Unlike what u may heard in documentary like Jiro (Taking 20mins). I don't like to go for long lunch -> Less time for sight seeing during vital daylight.

orange_sky

Reaction score
Fukamachi got different set for lunch. maximum around 10k yen.
I recommend getting the most expensive menu. and side order uni tempura

Tokami i am not too sure. i ate dinner.
full sushi course normally take 2-2.5 hours long. Unlike what u may heard in documentary like Jiro (Taking 20mins). I don't like to go for long lunch -> Less time for sight seeing during vital daylight.
How much for the dinner at Tokami? Can ask hotel to make reservation?

akloaklo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the inputs. I'll go with down jacket plus just 1 fleece shirt since it's quite cheap.

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.