Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hahnhahnhahn

Reaction score
Need some advice in choosing air con..

1) System 4 or System 5?
I was informed by HDB that my aircon cannot exceed 8.5amps because my HDB block hasn't upgraded yet.
And based on this floor plan, my wife wants to have all 4 rooms and living room installed with aircon (system 5). However, I am thinking of having air con for all 3 bedrooms and living room except the Study room (system 4). It is a long way for the cold air to the study room. However, we are not quite yet fixed on my decision. Probably will omit the study room as not many can support system 5?

bA2hV1c.jpg

2) I was quoted by my ID for system 4. Not sure which one is the better one?

ohS2a9X.jpg

My friend did sent me his 2015 quotation for his air con installed last yr (though his was system 3).

7kzZVkO.jpg

3) Which type of air con piping is good? armaflex vs thermaflex vs others..
Visit the only aircon shop in JurongEast furnituremall and was told that this white type of piping is the better one. But my ID said the black one armaflex is the better ones.. until we are confused :s11:

iuNWju2.jpg

Last edited:

lydiasops

Reaction score
Harvey Norman having promotion, I just bought my Mitsubishi Starmex sys 3 from the Jurong point. 10+10+13k btu, 2ticks, upgrade installation, 2trips+bracket and 1+4 years warranty. $3990. Ocbc card 36 mths installments.
Also bought fridge, fan, washing machine, oven, and water heaters. The prices matched with Qoo10 prices, add on minimal for warranty and free delivery! Most importantly is 36 months installments. Easier than to cough up so much cash in such a short time!

BTW I went Courts first but was told that their warranty does not include the motherboard for the compressor. They won't match prices found online as well. I'm buying warranty for the peace of mind as my fiends all warn me that aircon parts are expensive.

Last edited:

totoro17

Reaction score
I bought LG30BTU model with 9k BTU fancoil for 3 bedrooms and 24kBTU fancoil for living room.

Setup with 1/2 inch armaflex class 1 insulation ,22 SWG copper pipe.
free 160 aircon servicing voucher.

5 years warranty on all parts.(FC & compressor)

$3900

Bro, can buy? Gd? Lg brand reliable?

telstar

Reaction score
Aron & Ah Boon's customer service is amazing.

I posted this not too long ago:

The above piping work was done by them.

And then I decided to ask Ah Boon on Whatsapp (because he doesn't answer the phone :s8: ) about the possibility of changing to either 5-tick Starmex or to Urusara or Envi, or whether I'm stuck with my original choice of 2-tick Starmex.

Msg sent early evening, he read the msg late evening, 2 blue ticks ... no reply.

Next afternoon sent another msg ... "do let me know pls, tks" ... he read it late evening, 2 blue ticks ... no reply.

Srsly? Business so good until don't even want to reply after reading? How to trust their after-sales service when they're already like that before the final sales concluded? :s8: I'm wondering if I should just pay them for the piping work already done and find someone else to do the fancoils.

I am having the same experience with the infamous duo. Aron would claim he's out of town and I could contact or sms Ah Boon for a site survey. The latter never bothers to reply. Good riddance to them. I'd bring my business elsewhere.

Tuakong

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am having the same experience with the infamous duo. Aron would claim he's out of town and I could contact or sms Ah Boon for a site survey. The latter never bothers to reply. Good riddance to them. I'd bring my business elsewhere.

Which company are they from?
Sorry I never follow this thread for sometime

telstar

Reaction score
Which company are they from?
Sorry I never follow this thread for sometime

A search in renotalk forum will uncover the vendor that I do not wish to name.

I never expect that to engage an air-con vendor (and this is in Singapore!) for a new installation could prove to be so daunting. I have already wasted a month.

Might have to do with the fact that my re-sale 4 room HDB (built by JTC) has no aircon ledge and there is no previous installation to work on and I have to take into account the electrical load. The moral of this? Better to buy a re-sale HDB with an aircon ledge or an operational air con system already in place. Forgo getting old model HDB with a bigger floor area.

My HDB officer has cautioned me to engage only BCA-trained installer, otherwise I am liable for any mishap resulting from the installation.

In my online search, I came across many vendors who are promising on delivery but turned out otherwise just from communicating with them. You can’t go by reviews because there are too many faked ‘positive’ reviews and it is so easy to spot them. By chance, I discovered one vendor paid four young attractive writers to blog on their respective web blogs. I had earlier engaged his site-surveyor who, I sensed, tried to cut corners in his installation suggestions. None of his workers is BCA-trained. When asked if he would be present on the day of installation, he said no. How then are the workers to know the piping route? Via telepathy with the surveyor?

Stupid me took too long to understand that vendor/seller of the hardware and installers are not the same entity, i.e. installation is outsourced to a third party that the vendor has no control of. Looking further, I can understand. Keeping a team of installers on the company’s payroll is not viable.

So why not I buy the air-con from any merchants like Courts. Harvey Norman, Best Denki and engage a reliable installer on my own. Firstly, where to look for them? Secondly, I am not a technical person.

The modus operandi for a two-man vendor operation is a strict division of labour - one handles the white-collar aspect and the other the blue work. The customer has access to them only as and when they allow.

I started out willing to accept any quote from any vendor because I don’t wish to expend time and energy looking for cheapest alternative. A hardware is the same hardware from any vendor no matter the price. But the same cannot be said of the installation process. After reading horror stories, how can I be sure that I will not be short-changed where installation is concerned. Is there no vendor confident enough to warrant their workmanship?

Hottyhot

Reaction score
Just ordered from nat aire Panasonic system 2 (4 ticks) . $2052 with $150 ntuc or choice voucher. Installation in 2 weeks time. Did not upgrade materials.

Tuakong

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Daikin recently seem to have introduced a new aircon series, named as the Smile Series ..
K5Kyzcx.jpg

q2cWLhP.jpg

k540EVq.jpg

Sent from Sumire using GAGT

Daikin Proshop quoted me system4 Smile series 5-tick for $5300 inclusive gst, new pipings, 16mm insulation n bracket c/w:
1. 3x 9000btu CTKS25 and
1 x CTKS71 24000btu for LR/Dining
2. 1 x 25000btu (up to 36000btu) MKS80

Good deal?

ahwee1987

Reaction score
Got a quote from GC sales guy today to replace my National System 3 with Toshiba System 2. He said the price for Toshiba is slightly higher compare to Mitsubishi cause the FCU is made from Japan compare to Mitsubishi from Thailand.
The reason for toshiba is because the Indoor unit height is the shortest and only toshiba can fit in to my current wall.

Anyone have any experience in Toshiba Aircond? is it really good?

Toshiba System 2 = $2599
RAS3M20SACV ~ 01 OUT DOOR
2X RASM10SKCV ~ 02 INDOOR

Upgrade Piping = $160 (2x Room)
Bracket = $150

Total = $2909

Is it too expensive for a system 2?
Thanks

Last edited:

Hottyhot

Reaction score
Got a quote from GC sales guy today to replace my National System 3 with Toshiba System 2. He said the price for Toshiba is slightly higher compare to Mitsubishi cause the FCU is made from Japan compare to Mitsubishi from Thailand.
The reason for toshiba is because the Indoor unit height is the shortest and only toshiba can fit in to my current wall.

Toshiba System 2 = $2599

Bracket = $150

Total = $2909

Thanks
Check diy appliances website. Cheaper

keiichiro

Reaction score
Review for Cold Engine installation

Site Survey-
Scott came and took a look, in and out within 5 mins as place still under renovation.

Pipe Laying-
2 worker came to lay the pipes .
Job completed within half a day.
Result MBR casing is not straight, worker over cut the casing and try using silicone to patch, end up the case cannot stay in shape.

Air con installation-
Scott came with another worker.
Found pipe position is not enough allowance.Have to join the pipes using solder.
After fixing the pipe, the casing end up covering the door frame.
Request to shift upward to avoid the door frame went unanswered.
Casing in mbr that was not straight cannot be fixed as they did not have the require material.
Scott tried to push/mould the case into shape but no use.

Rectification 1-
After complaining to Michelle and refusing to pay balance.
Came to straight the case.
Shift casing up from door frame.
End result, bulging case after straightening.
Casing at door frame instead of joining seamlessly with the main case, they decide to stagger it instead.
Scott commented that after this round if i am still not happy, nothing else he can do.
Gave up asking them to fix anymore.
2iivamv.jpg

315lnyb.jpg

Rectification 2-
Aircon cable was connected wrongly resulting in cold air coming out from other room AC instead of the AC that was turned on.

Not sure how the other good reviews came about. Maybe my case is special...

Last edited:

Hottyhot

Reaction score
Just ordered from nat aire Panasonic system 2 (4 ticks) . $2052 with $150 ntuc or choice voucher. Installation in 2 weeks time. Did not upgrade materials.

Decided to upgrade materials with 21swg copper and 1/2 insulation at $115. Installation this week. Will post review after installation. Hope they will do a good job

HW-Saber

Reaction score

Toshiba System 2 = $2599

Bracket = $150

Total = $2909

Thanks

I guessed my situation is similar to yours, looking for small height small width aircon to fit into my living room. The sales guy came to my house to do site survey and he insist only toshiba can fit.

Actually Fujitsu, Daikin aircon have small model too, followed by starmex. All these are the dimensions found in the specs sheet.

Not sure this guy is trying to hard sell toshiba or what. When i go courts or best, those guy told me Fujitsu can replaced toshiba small aircon.

Confused now haha.

terumo

Reaction score
To ahwee1987,

Toshiba outdoor unit (compressor) is made in Japan and the indoor unit (blower) is made in Thailand.

This pricing a bit on the high side thou.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.