Starhub ending their cable broadband by end next year

jeffrey745

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna cancel my cable tv next yr sept when the contract ends.... Hardly watch it nowadays n find that its a waste of $$...

My family now watches shows online... must probably will gt a digital tv box next yr..... and jumping ship to m1 fibre...

zer0ne

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My TP full already with VQ and ST...now what will happen to my Cable TV ??

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Funny lei. Like that room how to use fiber if don't have Internet point. Cock. End of the cable tv. Time to use more xiaomi box

VacheronLim

Reaction score
my homehub 100 (cable) is expiring in Sept this year, just received a call from Starhub offering to change it to homehub 200 (fibre) without any upcharge to my subscription fees

just wondering, the existing internet speed suits me perfectly, cable TV is for my parents so i'm not looking to change anything (not looking to change provider for the time being)...so should I let my contract roll until they offer something better? don't quite see any perks for agreeing with the change to homehub 200, i won't need the boost in internet speed, the free modem & router as freebies don't really appeal at all :s12:

Hidit69

Reaction score
my homehub 100 (cable) is expiring in Sept this year, just received a call from Starhub offering to change it to homehub 200 (fibre) without any upcharge to my subscription fees

just wondering, the existing internet speed suits me perfectly, cable TV is for my parents so i'm not looking to change anything (not looking to change provider for the time being)...so should I let my contract roll until they offer something better? don't quite see any perks for agreeing with the change to homehub 200, i won't need the boost in internet speed, the free modem & router as freebies don't really appeal at all :s12:

I don't think you will get any better offer. Switching from cable to fibre might require some changes to your internet and TV layout though depending on where your fibre point is. I went for dual broadband after my 100mbps cable broadband contract ended.

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Very clever. Force ppl to switch to fibre tv & then say to have fibre tv u must have starhub fibre broadband. So indirectly force u to take up both fibre broadband and fibre tv.

So if im with other isp i am forced to switch to Starhub fibre.

I don't think we have to take starhub TV.. If fiberTV is the same as what mio did the last time..

I was on starhub bb back then and subbed to mioTV. They gave a dumb ADSL modem with no internet accessibility except for the mio box

Hidit69

Reaction score
I don't think we have to take starhub TV.. If fiberTV is the same as what mio did the last time..

I was on starhub bb back then and subbed to mioTV. They gave a dumb ADSL modem with no internet accessibility except for the mio box

Singtel has more or less phasing/phased out ADSL. So now Singtel TV will be under Fibre. Same for Starhub, in the process of phasing out cable, but will take a few years. So they sure push fibre

boonkang

Reaction score
bliGkCT.jpg

Very clever. Force ppl to switch to fibre tv & then say to have fibre tv u must have starhub fibre broadband. So indirectly force u to take up both fibre broadband and fibre tv.

So if im with other isp i am forced to switch to Starhub fibre.

My only issue is that in order to access fibre tv u have to be a starhub fibre subscriber which i dont want to. Happy with viewqwest and i dont want to be forced to switch RSP just for this purpose.

My TP full already with VQ and ST...now what will happen to my Cable TV ??

Well, some people gets it :)

I guess that means it's better not to renew my Starhub cable TV contact -- when it ends sometime in 2017.

Thereafter, (if needed) just be on rolling subscription.

Beyond 2017 -- if/when "forced" to convert from Starhub cable TV to Starhub fibre TV, I can simply choose to (totally) terminate Starhub TV -- since by then only on rolling subscription & no longer under any Starhub TV contract.

Last edited:

Medicated Oil

Honorary Member
Reaction score
bliGkCT.jpg

I guess that means it's better not to renew my Starhub cable TV contact -- when it ends sometime in 2017.

Beyond 2017 -- if/when "forced" to convert from Starhub cable TV to Starhub fibre TV, I can simply choose to (totally) terminate Starhub TV -- since by then only on rolling subscription & no longer under any Starhub TV contract.

Thanks for highlighting this point to the rest of the guys.
The SH setup box should be able to operate with other fibre ISP.
Unfortunately, they have to slap this restriction and lose more customers.

legaltech

Reaction score
bliGkCT.jpg

StarHub's current mantra is to get customers to be hubbers and take on bundled services for a fixed minimum term, if not then (the usual) new contract upon the current standalone-service ending. The month-by-month subscription at the prevailing rate will probably be :s22:... The "rolling" rate for my MaxInfinity 200 Home Hub contract which has just ended is $150.

Based on their FAQ, there's probably an opportunity for one more fixed term contract of 24months for services relating to cable broadband or TV:

1. Is it true you are ceasing cable broadband services by 2017?
StarHub will operate cable network services until 2020. We encourage customers to take up our fibre services before 2020 to avoid disruption to their services.

3. Does it mean my cable TV is also affected?
Yes, we will be migrating customers from cable TV services to fibre TV services, and encourage customers to upgrade to fibre TV early to ensure uninterrupted service.

slang

Master Member
Reaction score
Any idea how do we terminate starhub fibre service? Can we do it over the hotline or we need to visit starhub shop? Contract has expired. Do we need to return any equipment as well?

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
huh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cable TV also gone?
price will increase a not..
like tht i must take 2 fibre meh?? cannot be ba.

i better go find a good iptv

Last edited:

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any idea how do we terminate starhub fibre service? Can we do it over the hotline or we need to visit starhub shop? Contract has expired. Do we need to return any equipment as well?
Just call SH to ask about it.

mikezuper

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I will move to Singtel.

Singtel Mio at least allow you to recontract to iPhone annually with no question asked.

Thanks Starhub for making the switch as no brainer.

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I more care about how am I going to watch tvb drama lol

kimsix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I use dual broadband i find it extremely useful. I may lose the raw fibre speeds for same monthly price, but i get superb coverage across my home using 2 tiny DIR868l. I set the SSID, password and dhcp reservation same on both routers. All my mobile devices will auto connect at full speeds when i move across the rooms.

There is no need to buy expensive big spider routers which still fail to reach the same coverage. No need for AP, Range extenders, power internet, all which cuts the speeds down on every relay.

And cable runs on different path, like tonight, SH fibre is intermittent disconnecting because of rain (every time like that i have noticed) but the cable runs full speed.

I noticed SH CS has been strongly encouraging people to 'upgrade' to fibre, the reason is out now. I would prefer keep both options open, because i have 3 cable termination points and just 1 fibre point.

I think of another reason is because cable is susceptible to 'black boxes' while IPTV easily block those illegal boxes.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I still using telephone adsl, waiting singtel to up the offer <29.90

Actually do not need to wait as ADSL is outdated. Just jump to other isp with 300 Mbps at $29/mth. 90 cents cheaper and you get at least 6 times faster. It is more expensive to use ADSL compared to fibre.

Meatfactory

Reaction score
If i am reading it correctly, the fibre tv box is connected via rj45 cable. i suppose we can use homeplugs too if we don't want have wires or trunking all over the house?

ska13a

Reaction score
If i am reading it correctly, the fibre tv box is connected via rj45 cable. i suppose we can use homeplugs too if we don't want have wires or trunking all over the house?

Aren't home plug is extender between to two power point instead of laying a physical cable.
Then u hook ur rj45 via home plug from both side?
So don't catch your example at all

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.