Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelvinsin

Reaction score
Was visit few places like Court, GC and Best Denki for the system 4. Told by the salesman from GC that my old HDB can only use 8.5A system thus i shortlisted Starmex the popular 2 ticks package 10+10+10+18.
Btw, i saw from starmex voucher there is a table mentioned 10+10+10+24 also can use for limited current HDB.
May I know what will happen if my living room use 24k BTU instead of 18k?
My living room quite long with 4.8mx7.6m around 36m2. Is 18k BTU sufficient? Anyway Im not a person like to stay in winter country, thus i usually just set to 25deg with ceiling fan. Is the quoted package enough for me?

And also he claimed that the 5 ticks FJ models seems has compressor noisy problem and mit has investigate and states this is design problem they cant do anything. Is that true?

Last edited:

popdod

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
Just got my quotation for aircon from Coolserve for System 3.

1(a)Brand : Mitsubishi Electric (Refrigerant: R410A) (Energy Label: 2 ticks)
Model : MXY-3A28VA / 2 X MSY-GE10VA / MSY-GE18VA (System 3)
Fan coil capacity : 2 x 8,530 Btu/hr + 16,377 Btu/hr
All on capacity : 2 x 6,414 Btu/hr + 12,760 Btu/hr
Price with 7% GST : $3,199.30/-

(b)Brand : Mitsubishi Electric (Refrigerant: R410A) (Energy Label: 5 ticks)
Model : MXY-3G28VA / 2 x MSXY-FJ10VE / MSXY-FJ18VE (System 3)
Fan coil capacity : 2 x 8,530 Btu/hr + 16,377 Btu/hr
All on capacity : 2 x 6,414 Btu/hr + 12,760 Btu/hr
Price with 7% GST : $3,787.80/-

~~~~~~

2(a)Brand : Daikin (Refrigerant: R410A) (Energy Label: 3 ticks)
Model : 3MKS71FSG/ 2 x FTKS25DVM / FTKS50FVM (System 3)
Fan coil capacity : 2 x 8,530 Btu/hr + 17,060 Btu/hr
All on capacity : 2 x 6,073 Btu/hr + 12,078 Btu/hr
Price with 7% GST : $3,177.90/-

(b)Brand : Daikin (Refrigerant: R410A) (Energy Label: 5 ticks)
Model : MKS80QVMG / 2 x CTKS25QVM/ CTKS50QVM (System 3)
Fan coil capacity : 2 x 8,530 Btu/hr + 17,060 Btu/hr
All on capacity : 2 x 5,971 Btu/hr + 11,942 Btu/hr
Price with 7% GST : $3,766.40/-
Smile Series.

~~~~~

3(a)Supply and install 1 no. of Normal L or opening bracket – If any
Additional charges:
Price with 7% GST : $160.50

(b)Upgrade ½” thickness ARMAFLEX insulation – If any
Price with 7% GST : $85.60 per set x 3 sets = $256.80
Special Price : $53.50 per set x 3 sets =
$160.50

(c)2 trip installation – If any
Price with 7% GST : $107.00

U think price reasonable?
i thought 2 trips normally free?? no arh?

:s11: :( :s11:

kbtsam

Master Member
Reaction score
I do not recommend GC as the overall price is much higher than other aircon installers.

With the quality of workmanship and price in mind, I would recommend others that are cheaper by 10% or more.

Most importantly, the workmanship can be good if the house owner supervise the work. My experience is not to trust the installers blindly.

Just my opinion for your considerations.

Where u recommend? Anyone bought from all best?

nicholaslee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, if i go for a bigger compressor. Does it consume same amount of energy when running a 9000btu fcu as compared to a smaller compressor?

IIRC, invertor technology will consume same amount of energy right?

Looking at MXY-4A38VA (31400 BTU) / MSY-GE10VA (9000 BTU) × 3, MSY-GE18VA (18000 BTU) × 1

However is there an even bigger compressor? Above does not seem sufficient if on at least 2 rooms + living room at the same time.

Sent from Blackberry STV100-1 using GAGT

DarthGW

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
one of the frequently mentioned 3rd party aircon installers and a Daikin Proshop installer both quoted me the same Daikin Sys4 (9/9/9/18)

4MKS80FSG/FTKS25DVM x 3/FTKS50FVM x 1

Quote based on upgraded materials(1/2 inch armaflex,g22, keystone cables)

but the Proshop is more expensive by $250
difference between them is the warranty

Proshop provides 1 year for workmanship, 5 years for compressor,1 year for all parts and 90 days for spare parts

3rd party provides 2 years for workmanship (1-2 year cover piping&wiring, 1 year for insulation),5 years for compressor, 1 year for all parts

is it worth paying the premium for Daikin Proshop?
also, what is the BTU for the compressor 4MKS80FSG

bingsoh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When u guys got your aircon installed, on that day did u see the technicians deliver the compressor and rooms units still sealed in the box to your place or it is already opened?

bingsoh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Typically the unit is sealed.

is the compressor supposed to be sealed too? coz my relative claimed that when they delivered the compressor is already opened and not even in the original box while the room units are sealed in the original manufacturers box.

Last edited:

gentoro

Master Member
Reaction score
will be getting a sys 3 (3 rooms)+ sys 1 (living + kitchen open concept)
and also install a ceiling fan to circulate the cold air in the living rm + kitchen since the partition wall between kitchen and living rm will be hacked away
is this ok? (circled in red = aircon position, circled in green = ceiling fan)
since i am getting MHI, is there a 18k or 22k btu model? what should i get?
aircon.jpg

Your design may look nice (placement of blower).
Few major flaws:
- Blower above door, may not have suffice space, too near ceiling may decease air intake to blower (many new flats with new reno does that), will increase more dirt accumulation in blower fan
- masterbedroom (MB) blower at above door in corridor, concealed and look nice: super duper insufficient to cool your room.
- Your living room blower: Always try not to use fan and AC at the same time. Reason being blower will accumulate dirt and grime faster. Use either one at a time will be best.

Simple guideline to remember when planning where to place your blower
1) Place in center of room (Middle of a wall)
2) Nothing should be below the blower eg. no TV, no cabinets etc
3) Minimum 10cm or more clearance from ceiling to blower. (ID will say BS, guideline say 5cm clearance will do) In fact yes, 5cm is minimal. Anything less than 10cm just increase more accumulation only.
4) Placing all blowers in a linear shortest arrangement towards the AC compressor - At least 22G thicker gas pipping and shortest distance possible. Usual standard provided is 23G, which can do but can be better with 22G - why not?
5) if getting sys4, try to separate 3 set of waste water pipping, do not install all together into 1 set of pipping (LR - 1 pipe, 2BR - 1 pipe, MBR - 1 set) - if pipe choke by grime, it will not affect the entire syst4
6) Pipping to be as big as possible and as short as possible to nearer toilet (Basin also can)
*7) Optional - if you are not planning to change AC sys for a "long long time", you can do the trunking hidden behind build-in wardrobe - look nice and hidden - BUT! if you wanna to re-vamp as new AC system without demolishing your wardrobe? installer of AC will shake his head and pack up and go home. :D

Just my few cents of experience with AC. Cheers.

Last edited:

ragegoh

Reaction score
Hi! Need some help from the pros here.

How much does it usually cost for Daikin SYS 3 aircon?
I got a budget of $3000, but can be lower.

We won't be using aircon often, maybe max will be 3 nights in a week.

Also where should I place the aircon units?

Thanks!

Untitled.png

gentoro

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, if i go for a bigger compressor. Does it consume same amount of energy when running a 9000btu fcu as compared to a smaller compressor?

IIRC, invertor technology will consume same amount of energy right?

Looking at MXY-4A38VA (31400 BTU) / MSY-GE10VA (9000 BTU) × 3, MSY-GE18VA (18000 BTU) × 1

However is there an even bigger compressor? Above does not seem sufficient if on at least 2 rooms + living room at the same time.

Sent from Blackberry STV100-1 using GAGT

yes - it is way more sufficient with 38VA. the 9K btu + 18btu do not always blow at 100%. At high power - it is estimated to consume only 80% of full power = 7.2k btu only. At auto mode, to sustain temp of 25C - the inverter can calibrate usage of 40-60% btu depending on the temp in room. 9K BTU is the max, no blower or user will use max (16C at max fan speed plus high power). Anyone here use this setting?

Dun worry - a 28VA is suffice to support 9k BTU x4 even at warm night. Compressor are also have overclocked in case all 4 blower set at max, compressor will just use more power and work harder. Still cooling in fact.

Last common question: bigger compressor = more efficient? Yes it does at more power regardless unless!. 28VA will use 12A at optimal max compare to 38VA use 15.28A at optimal max. 20% more electric power usage!

What is the unless? Yes - unless your daily usage is only 1 room which in turn both 28VA and 38VA will likely to consume same power to run. Simplify - if you use more room, more power is use on 38VA, more efficient, more cooler.

Configuration is up to your choice.

*small tip - avoid MHI... ;)

Last edited:

DarthGW

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your design may look nice (placement of blower).
Few major flaws:
- Blower above door, may not have suffice space, too near ceiling may decease air intake to blower (many new flats with new reno does that), will increase more dirt accumulation in blower fan
- masterbedroom (MB) blower at above door in corridor, concealed and look nice: super duper insufficient to cool your room.
- Your living room blower: Always try not to use fan and AC at the same time. Reason being blower will accumulate dirt and grime faster. Use either one at a time will be best.

Simple guideline to remember when planning where to place your blower
1) Place in center of room (Middle of a wall)
2) Nothing should be below the blower eg. no TV, no cabinets etc
3) Minimum 10cm or more clearance from ceiling to blower. (ID will say BS, guideline say 5cm clearance will do) In fact yes, 5cm is minimal. Anything less than 10cm just increase more accumulation only.
4) Placing all blowers in a linear shortest arrangement towards the AC compressor - At least 22G thicker gas pipping and shortest distance possible. Usual standard provided is 23G, which can do but can be better with 22G - why not?
5) if getting sys4, try to separate 3 set of waste water pipping, do not install all together into 1 set of pipping (LR - 1 pipe, 2BR - 1 pipe, MBR - 1 set) - if pipe choke by grime, it will not affect the entire syst4
6) Pipping to be as big as possible and as short as possible to nearer toilet (Basin also can)
*7) Optional - if you are not planning to change AC sys for a "long long time", you can do the trunking hidden behind build-in wardrobe - look nice and hidden - BUT! if you wanna to re-vamp as new AC system without demolishing your wardrobe? installer of AC will shake his head and pack up and go home. :D

Just my few cents of experience with AC. Cheers.
thanks for advice

1) Middle of room - will check with potential aircon installer
2) Definitely not putting the blower above a furniture
3) Noted
4) Getting 22G for sure
5) Will check with installer
6) Getting 16mm drainage pipe
7) AC will be used long long time, but I am not hiding the trunking behind wardrobe for sure

btw i need your advise on this also:

one of the frequently mentioned 3rd party aircon installers and a Daikin Proshop installer both quoted me the same Daikin Sys4 (9/9/9/18)

4MKS80FSG/FTKS25DVM x 3/FTKS50FVM x 1

Quote based on upgraded materials(1/2 inch armaflex,g22, keystone cables)

but the Proshop is more expensive by $250
difference between them is the warranty

Proshop provides 1 year for workmanship, 5 years for compressor,1 year for all parts and 90 days for spare parts

3rd party provides 2 years for workmanship (1-2 year cover piping&wiring, 1 year for insulation),5 years for compressor, 1 year for all parts

is it worth paying the premium for Daikin Proshop?
also, what is the BTU for the compressor 4MKS80FSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.