Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

chainer22

Reaction score
Whats the best/relatively affordable way to get to Shirokanedai station from Narita Terminal 1?

hyperdia suggested taking keisei access express from Narita -> Aoto -> Oshiage then change to Toei Asakusa line until Mita station. Following which take Mita line to Shirokanedai.

Can i ask if it will be slightly faster/more convenient to take this route instead?
keisei access express from Narita -> Aoto ->Shimbashi
Then from Shimbashi change to Toei Asakusa ->Mita -> Shirokanedai

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can give your timing? because I did the same thing and I get the following

NEX->Shinagawa->Yamanote line->Meguro-> then change onto the subway line for 1 station

chainer22

Reaction score
can give your timing? because I did the same thing and I get the following

NEX->Shinagawa->Yamanote line->Meguro-> then change onto the subway line for 1 station

we should be departing Narita airport at about 2.30pm. definitely will be taking keisei access express cos its cheaper.

questionmark

Reaction score
will be staying Osaka for 4 full days (thu - sun), planning to go USJ on thu, and hoping to cover parts of Kyoto, Kobe/Nara and Osaka for the remaining 3 days. i know it will be a rush but due to to time constraints, but which of the 2 places should i cover on sat & sun???

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
will be staying Osaka for 4 full days (thu - sun), planning to go USJ on thu, and hoping to cover parts of Kyoto, Kobe/Nara and Osaka for the remaining 3 days. i know it will be a rush but due to to time constraints, but which of the 2 places should i cover on sat & sun???

if must be 2 places, then 2 days in Kyoto 1 day Nara

Mach8Fapper

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So long as you've checked the schedules and reserved your seats for the trips Osaka<>Tokyo at least a day in advance, you should be fine. Unless there's a public holiday.
http://publicholidays.jp

Since you're touching down at Tokyo, you could use JR Pass immediately be it from Haneda or Narita. Covers Narita Express and Tokyo Monorail to reach JR station.
yup agreed. online only can book the vouchers 3 months in advance. so i need to wait until december period then can book. and also i read that:

"Seat reservations cost roughly 300 to 700 yen, but are free with the Japan Rail Pass."

This is good. What happens if i dont reserve the seats? since sometimes on trips will have some impromptu stuff popping up here and there.

Last edited:

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can one actually stand during a shinkansen ride? Haven't had the experience of taking a super full shinkansen..

thwysg

Reaction score
yup agreed. online only can book the vouchers 3 months in advance. so i need to wait until december period then can book. and also i read that:

"Seat reservations cost roughly 300 to 700 yen, but are free with the Japan Rail Pass."

This is good. What happens if i dont reserve the seats? since sometimes on trips will have some impromptu stuff popping up here and there.

You'll be able to board any Shinkansen (minus Nozomi and Mizuho) and grab a seat in "Non-Reserved cars" without any time restrictions. Provided you're in the front of the queue. Else be prepared to stand all the way in the small area in between connecting doors to the cars until people leave and free up seats along the journey. I certainly won't want it if the journey took more than 60min.

Make full use of JR Pass to have a proper seat in all your journeys. It's around 3 hours from Tokyo to Shin-Osaka. Saw a group of aunties who had to stand throughout a 2hr ride in my recent trip from Nagoya to Tokyo.

The other thing is you could try booking your seats on the day itself. But if you hit super peak seasons e.g. Sakura and national holidays, the desired timings might not be available. Or worse, you don't get to sit together with your companions (I encountered this when we were traveling during Obon even though we booked our seats 1 week before our travel date).

You could always purchase your JR Pass via JTB or other agencies or Changi Recommends weeks before your trip. By the way, there's news on the exchange of JR Pass with the voucher in SG before you fly to Japan from November 2016 onwards. There's a JR Cafe to be opened in Tanjong Pagar. Wait for the news to be out first.

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can one actually stand during a shinkansen ride? Haven't had the experience of taking a super full shinkansen..

stood a few times before. peak hr tokaido shinkansen rides all of them. from kyoto to nagoya and back. can lean on the handrails along the corridor, or hover outside the free seating area until people disembark (only likely for kodama)...

_dEvon

Master Member
Reaction score
I'll be landing in Tokyo, and going Osaka for a few days while doing day trip in Kobe, Kyoto and probably Nara, then back to Tokyo. Which JR Pass would you recommend me to get?

hoshiyume

Master Member
Reaction score
Whats the best/relatively affordable way to get to Shirokanedai station from Narita Terminal 1?

hyperdia suggested taking keisei access express from Narita -> Aoto -> Oshiage then change to Toei Asakusa line until Mita station. Following which take Mita line to Shirokanedai.

Can i ask if it will be slightly faster/more convenient to take this route instead?
keisei access express from Narita -> Aoto ->Shimbashi
Then from Shimbashi change to Toei Asakusa ->Mita -> Shirokanedai

For train timings pls use hyperdia, it gives you the connections, timings needed and also how much the ride will cost. I always use it and it is super useful especially when u forgot to read the train board for the destination and u just boarded based on timing and platform.

Mach8Fapper

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You'll be able to board any Shinkansen (minus Nozomi and Mizuho) and grab a seat in "Non-Reserved cars" without any time restrictions. Provided you're in the front of the queue. Else be prepared to stand all the way in the small area in between connecting doors to the cars until people leave and free up seats along the journey. I certainly won't want it if the journey took more than 60min.

Make full use of JR Pass to have a proper seat in all your journeys. It's around 3 hours from Tokyo to Shin-Osaka. Saw a group of aunties who had to stand throughout a 2hr ride in my recent trip from Nagoya to Tokyo.

The other thing is you could try booking your seats on the day itself. But if you hit super peak seasons e.g. Sakura and national holidays, the desired timings might not be available. Or worse, you don't get to sit together with your companions (I encountered this when we were traveling during Obon even though we booked our seats 1 week before our travel date).

You could always purchase your JR Pass via JTB or other agencies or Changi Recommends weeks before your trip. By the way, there's news on the exchange of JR Pass with the voucher in SG before you fly to Japan from November 2016 onwards. There's a JR Cafe to be opened in Tanjong Pagar. Wait for the news to be out first.
from what i read online only can reserve seats at the station counter there
"Midori-no-madoguchi". which means the best i can do is reserve seats on the first day itself. Since my trip is 7 days should i reserve seats from the first day to the end of my trip? or should i just reserve 1 day before?

What happens if i reserve seats and did not actually go onto the train due to some impromptu event popping up? Got penalty?

thwysg

Reaction score
from what i read online only can reserve seats at the station counter there
"Midori-no-madoguchi". which means the best i can do is reserve seats on the first day itself. Since my trip is 7 days should i reserve seats from the first day to the end of my trip? or should i just reserve 1 day before?

What happens if i reserve seats and did not actually go onto the train due to some impromptu event popping up? Got penalty?

Midori no Madoguchi みどりの窓口. No seats to reserve for Tokyo Monorail (Haneda airport) and you could reserve the next Narita Express just before boarding (Narita airport). The seats you need to reserve are the journeys between Tokyo <> Shin-Osaka. Like I mentioned, so long as you're not traveling during the peak season e.g. national holidays, sakura-viewing, koyo-viewing, you can book one day in advance.

In the event that you missed your Shinkansen with the reserved seats, you could always board the next Shinkansen (excluding Nozomi) under "Non-Reserved Seats" cars if you didn't want to waste more time. Else just head to the Midori no Madoguchi again to reserve the seats again (might not have available seats on the next train, depends on luck).

nemo88

Reaction score
There's no penalty - so once I arrived early at the station and was able to just take an earlier train in the non-reserved section instead. We didn't have time to do anything but get on the train - the gate agent just waved us through, no worries about needing to cancel reserved seats.

Annieloh

Reaction score
Hi i will be landing at Haneda airport. Need to go Ikebukuro. Is taking the airport limousine bus easiest? Tried to search for the bus schedule time but cant seem to find..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.