Nintendo NX unveiling (20/10/16 @ 10pm)

qwertified

Reaction score
Looks good, now just need to see what launch titles they have other than zelda and obviously another mario

TrueBeliever_jh

Honorary Member
Reaction score

i really hope the hardware is Tegra X2 and not X1.
Reason being X1 was released in 2015, based on Maxwell (900 series) gfx card.

so by the time the console is out, the chip is 2 years old and 1 or even 2 generations back.

X2 is based on Pascal (1000 series). they are more power efficient (obviously) and the mobile version of Pascal (which this one might based off from) performs on par with 1000 series desktop gfx. and considering there is no info of X2 release date, Nintendo might have signed an exclusive deal with Nvidia.

yup. i have said Nintendo is never about how well the game looks, they are about game experiences. somehow i am not surprise if Nintendo wants to drive the cost of the system low (199USD or 249USD?), went for older gfx.

TrueBeliever_jh

Honorary Member
Reaction score
- Not shown, don't know have motion sensor and touch screen or not. A lot of now traditional Nintendo controls are gone if don't have.
Think so, unless they come as accessories.

- Unlike Wii U or NDS/3DS, no more dual screen (1 tv, 1 handheld), can't show different info on separate screens.
Never like U's idea.

- If split the controller into two small joy-cons (L and R), each will only have 1 shoulder/trigger buttons, this rather limits the games that can be operated.
probably quick simple party games bah.

- Presumably no HDD? Home console with just proprietary game card is absolute no go.
might have memory slots for saved games? liked SD card or something?

- Too thick for a handheld, not very portable, like carrying a brick or a few slices of bread.

- If handheld is going to be powerful as home console (and switchable) then it is going to be too hot to touch after some time (like most laptops). Seems to have active cooling (there are what looks like ventilation holes at the top), which will be noisy (and weird) on a handheld.

- Amiibo support? Probably have (NFC, touch and remove, don't have to place there forever), don't see Nintendo giving up golden eggs.

- Was expecting some integrations with mobile phone platforms, but looks like it's still traditional handheld.

- Probably no multiple accounts support on single console?

- Most importantly, if still region locked = no buy.
This one is tricky.

i wonder how the OS is going to operate. and also the build looks really bad :s13:
and then there is if there is Virtual Console support.
and also...... please don't tell me there is monthly subscriptions bullish!t.

runforyourlife

Reaction score
Its a good device but not for those whom wanna bring out to haolian. It stays in the home, anywhere in e home. not outside:s13:

TrueBeliever_jh

Honorary Member
Reaction score
the dock is nothing but charging and TV output.

"The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch," a representative tells IGN. "The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system."

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/21/13356760/nintendo-switch-dock-functionality-tv-output-power
NX_hardware.0.0.0.jpg

that thickness :s22:
if it's for cooling. i dun mind. as long as the grip is good.

and imagine accessories let you attach the device to your head. VR! :s13::s22::s13:

mocax

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
they've to make it thick enough to withstand everyday rugged use.... and maybe bigger battery.... :o

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
they've to make it thick enough to withstand everyday rugged use.... and maybe bigger battery.... :o
There should be 3 batteries, 1 for the main unit (the one with screen), 1 for each side's joy-con (cos they need to work wirelessly individually). Perhaps 1 more for the grip (when the main unit with screen is docked) if they want to make it a battery bank for the joy-cons (but very unlikely).

I wonder how the joy-cons can be charged, I don't imagine it will be standard USB type ports cos a joy-con has to slide in to attach. Might have problem if a joy-con runs out of juice when detached for 2 player, cos you cannot charge it without attaching back.

mocax

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
it'll be incredible if the joy-cons use electromagnetic induction for direct power, no batteries! :D
if you noticed, the joy-cons have to be held close to the console, or snapped into the grip if want really long range (from tv to couch)

maybe a capacitor in case it goes out of range of the main console or the grip... :o

There should be 3 batteries, 1 for the main unit (the one with screen), 1 for each side's joy-con (cos they need to work wirelessly individually). Perhaps 1 more for the grip (when the main unit with screen is docked) if they want to make it a battery bank for the joy-cons (but very unlikely).

I wonder how the joy-cons can be charged, I don't imagine it will be standard USB type ports cos a joy-con has to slide in to attach. Might have problem if a joy-con runs out of juice when detached for 2 player, cos you cannot charge it without attaching back.

Last edited:

TrueBeliever_jh

Honorary Member
Reaction score
imo

its quite bad for them to leave things as it is now and let everyone speculates from the video. and considering the system being shown might not even be in the final state (remember PS3 was planned to have 2 LAN ports?)

got a feeling by March, everyone will be disappointed by the very same questions they are not answering now:
- specs
- price
- touchscreen?
- battery life

hyperx_76

Reaction score
if this thing spec is not on par with ps4 or xb1, i can see those 3rd party just releasing 1 or 2 games and then abandon ship. even worse, if it doesnt sell, some just abandon ship straightaway. lol...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.