Future of Kinokuniya seems challenging..

zuoom

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The only thing it wins is the actual book experience in real life. Otherwise, its a goner.

PingJun

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Aug_promo2_KPC_SIMSonly_Eng_for-spoon.jpg

Wish Kino could have announced the promotion earlier(instead of last min) so that I can better plan my time during the weekend

Usually they will announce on the day.

If they inform earlier, everyone will hold their purchases until the promotion day.

janellchen

Reaction score
Well, I noticed a lot of customers browsing through but not buying. Its gonna be tough for them especially during the recession period when people are definitely going to cut down on these wants!

newjersey

Reaction score
kino charge super high fees for the books.

if you are not ordering from bookdepository.com if they have it there, then u are quite...

anyway, they belong to Amazon's and it sells in SG$ plus free shipping all the way from UK. quite amazing, I must say!

numbers

Master Member
Reaction score
i always stock up my wishlists and mass buy during the amazon black friday sales. Some books can get extremely cheap if you willing to wait for the black friday....

linxiaobei

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The new layout puts me off too.

But currently Kino are the only ones who carry large libraries of Chinese books that are of competitive pricing compared with online retailers with lesser waiting time.

Maybe more readers are moving onto ebooks

Sent from Sun using GAGT

linxiaobei

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Even though bookdepository offers huge selections, you might be limited by the books from alternative languages such as Chinese.

BDP also takes very long to deliver the same book even though it's stated upfront free shipping. Therefore kino can only fight if there's competitive pricing and immediate stock on hand.

Which means they have to keep an inventory and they have to be lean to compete.

Maybe that's why they starting to only bring in bestsellers instead.

Sent from Sun using GAGT

SpringCleaner

Reaction score
Btw, NAC rental is ridiculously high

It's exorbitant. I won't blame Kino if it moves out of NAC and optimize their online business model instead.

I seriously think the crappy rental prices here in SG are killing so many businesses. Why can't the darn owners just charge lesser and at least have a steady stream of monthly income? What good does it do to them in the long term if they are driving people out of businesses like that?

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
Agreed with you. Rental is hurting profits of many businesses, only landlords are the winners.

SpringCleaner

Reaction score
Agreed with you. Rental is hurting profits of many businesses, only landlords are the winners.

Spoke to two different small/medium businesses which I am a regular customer today. One is closing down and another closed one of its branches because the landlord hiked the rental price by 30%. How the f*** do they think people can sustain like that?

Shion

Senior Mentor
Reaction score
Spoke to two different small/medium businesses which I am a regular customer today. One is closing down and another closed one of its branches because the landlord hiked the rental price by 30%. How the f*** do they think people can sustain like that?

They don't care I feel, seems that they are confident they will always get tenants. Maybe because many of shopping centres are under the same few landlords, so...

Some also shorten the rental contract also upon renewal.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.