Wireless IP Camera thread

earthlink

Reaction score
Any ongoing promotions for IP Cameras now? Called Challenger but looks like the Sineoji cameras are at full price now.

Are you a Challenger member ? If you are, get the sineoji 498V at $69 ($139) which is a good bargain. Using it now and serves me well.

Waiting for the PT713V promo, challenger member is at $239.

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
Probably putting my head into the firing range here, but just to share, I did my own installation over time, slowly learning bit by bit. And almost dying in the process.

If anyone is interested, I am using;
D'Link DIR 868L on 1Gb Starhub.
DCS 5222L B1 via LAN Cable
DCS 935L via Wifi AC
DCS 2630L via Wifi AC

Access is via MyDlink both android app and PC Windows 7. And Android OWLR App.

If anyone has questions, want pictures, comments, or hopefully some advise, feel free to ask.

Its been good so far, I should add.

Just share your experience on DLink.

malvin-2010

Reaction score
Hi all, anyone has experience with surge spoiling the microsd card in the IP Camera? My Aztech IP Camera can't seem to read it's own sd card but other sd card is fine.

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all, anyone has experience with surge spoiling the microsd card in the IP Camera? My Aztech IP Camera can't seem to read it's own sd card but other sd card is fine.

Common issue on all ip cameras. U might even hit write/read lifespan also

Phumba

Reaction score
D'Link DCS-935L, DCS-5222L, DCS-2630L
Comparison of lens angle, resolution & image quality

Last edited:

Phumba

Reaction score
Comparison of Motion Detection Web Interface - Resolution

Last edited:

Phumba

Reaction score
Other Comments - Pricing (COMEX 2016 Price List)

D-Link%20IP%20Cameras%20IPCam%20NAS%20NVR%20DCS-2630L%20960L%206010L%20930L%20933L%20942L%205020L%205222L%205030L%20935L%202132L%202136L%207000L%202310L%20DNS-320L%20_zpsolqh5cmj.jpg

Other Comments - Audio (Tested via MyDlink App, via cellular service)
DCS 935L
Advertised: 1-way
In-Reality: Louder noises ok. Mostly little audio is heard.
DCS 5222L - via LAN cable
Advertised: 2-way
In-Reality: Possible to converse, mostly difficult. 1 or 2 sentences audible.
DCS 2630L
Advertised: 2 way
In-Reality: Short conversation possible, with some repeating.

Connections - 802.11 N, AC, Wired Lan
DCS 935L
802.11 AC works well. Able to get full 25/30 fps when using MyDlink app, via cellular service within Singapore.
DCS 5222L
802.11N was not good. Stop-start motion video and generally not a pleasant experience. I then tried wired LAN connection, of which, full 30fps was possible via cellular. (This could have been caused by the overly congested 2.4Ghz band in my area)
DCS 2630L
802.11 AC works well. Able to get full 30 fps when using MyDlink app, via cellular service within Singapore.

Last edited:

Phumba

Reaction score
Mobile App - My DLink

A lot has been said about this app, and I don't think I have much to add. I do like the fact that I get to see my router together with cameras on the same screen.

And I also like the additional information such as Frames Per Second(FPS) and the Bitrate in kbps. (I guess I am a freak)

OWLR App - Android
Because I have 3 cameras running, I wanted something that would allow me to view all of the cameras in one screen. A bit of searching and I found this app, free. Once set up, it works and works well. The FPS and bitrates drop to accommodate the app, but overall it is very nice to see all the cameras on one screen.

The setting up is easy enough, with auto discovery etc etc etc... and if your a complete newbie, sufficient to get things working. But it was this app, that led me on to learn and discover features such as UPnP, Port Forwarding, HTTP, HTTPS, RTSP and correctly setting things up.

OWLR has a version for FOSCAM specific, and one or two more. They also have a generic one available. If you are running cameras at home and have UPnP running, do check this app out.

The CONS List
So I will be honest, what is not so great about doing things the DIY method, DLink, the learning curve?

For one, if you are not familiar with IP addresses, static IPs, changing passwords, managing the web interface, then perhaps a call to an organization who will supply and install is a better idea. That said, I started with very little knowledge of these things, always afraid of screwing something up. But after trying, reading, and learning (I still am learning), it has been rewarding. I did this as a hobby/project for the family as my kid was born, we have a maid, etc etc etc.. you get the idea... So my advice is if you want, anyone can learn this.

Secondly, DLink is probably not the greatest provider of web interface for the devices. Not to mention documentation of their devices, documentation of firmware upgrades and general "Pls help me" situations. But that said, it is definitely do-able. I can tell you, one my first cam, the DCS5222, I probably had to hard reset a couple of times. The DCS935, perhaps 4 times. And its not that the device was stupid, it was very likely a user problem combined as well.

UPnP - Still many questions
For some reason, the DCS935 will link to port :8080. The DCS5222 to :80. Automatically, every time I reboot the router. Why I have no idea, and if you know the answer, do drop me a PM. I didn't like this, as when accessing my router over the internet "http://58.xxx.xxx.xx:80", I would get the camera login. This annoyed the crap me, as I generally do not want external parties to see that my IP address is live.

The solution was an Android App, TSP UPNP Manager. This app allowed me to delete ports which were open, and leave those I wanted running. Its a crappy APP, crashes, and hangs most of the time, but when it does work, its good. Once again, if anyone has a better way of doing this, do let me know.
SOLVED Check out http://www.xldevelopment.net/upnpwiz.php

Wifi Transmitter - Why am I seeing this?
The picture below, express my confusion. Why do I see the DCS935L and not the DCS 2630L? Its not the app, every app/software I have tried shows the same. If you know, do let me know.

Conclusions

Am I happy? Yup. It works, I know what I am doing, and I get a kick of playing with the cameras when I travel for work. Watch the kid.... Watch the wife.... (Haha dont tell her).
Would I repeat the same things all over again with DLink? I would say yes, but now the itch of trying other brands and integrating it into what I already have would probably be the direction

I would like to setup recording on a NAS/NVR something like that, but for now, just live monitoring will do. Cost is of course a consideration. And a decision to get a dedicated NVR, or a NAS with surveillance function is in order.

I didnt go with the SD card in the camera route. I did suspect that the cards would not be able to sustain writing/re-writing over and over. Also, access was a pain, and just not my preference of how to do things.

On a side note, I did consider the DLink NVR-202L, but with its 720p only recording ability, USB 2.0 only,10/100 ethernet instead of gigabyte and minimal feedback reviews, I decided not to go down that road.

So,I hope this has been helpful, combined with whats already on the web, I hope it inspires the newbies, illicit some comments from the experienced, as we all try to share what we know.

Last edited:

geckoSG

Master Member
Reaction score
Very good review it is. 935L isnt that fantastic in terms of color representation. Moreover no IR. Nice

Dave27

Reaction score
Bought 9 pcs of sineoji PT498V which was a steal at $69 from Challenger as I am a value club member, Usual Price is $139, almost 50% off. Total Savings was $630!

2f32290053.jpg

It is a 720P HD camera with Pan & Tilt function, night vision, 128GB micro SDcard support, 2-way audio and digital zoom. $69 is an exotic offer.

Kudos to sineoji. I rang them up and requested if they can help me with the set-up, however, they came over to my office during the weekend and do the necessary mounting, trunking and installation at no charge! I have a sineoji PT595V and PT603V but the PT498V was a good buy, bought 9 pcs. What impressed me was the pan and tilt using my phone data on 4G, the camera was responding as fast as I am connected to my office wifi. No lag and every movement was instant and the video was crystal clear.

Here are some of the video quality of the 3 cameras I have.

PT498V
2f2c378333.png

PT595V
2f2c74d000.png

PT603V
2f2cb483a1.png

The PT595V and PT603V are 960P HD but the PT603V has a wide viewing angle of 130° as compared to the rest of the models.

Having 9 pcs of PT498V will have all my angle covered including blind spots. No complain after all and the service was brilliant.

Last edited:

Phumba

Reaction score
Very good review it is. 935L isnt that fantastic in terms of color representation. Moreover no IR. Nice

Thanks. Yup the images speak for themselves.

The 935 does have IR for night images. I will do this in the next post.

Phumba

Reaction score
Night Image - Lights Off
Windows Open Vs Windows Closed

Comments:
1. Its pretty clear that when curtains are closed, images are more "spotty"/"grainy". Several sites have indicated, that total darkness is required to ensure a good A/B comparison. I guess this is the best I could do.
2. The "grainy"-ness is evident on all 3 pictures.

Last edited:

Phumba

Reaction score
Night Image - Lights On

Comments:
DCS 935: Colours look least real of the 3. And image even at 720P is slightly "grainy". The darker image could well be a video setting, which I tried and decided, "default" was probably the best. (I am no expert haha)
DCS 5222: Interesting to note that the field of view of the 932 and 5222 is practically identical.
DCS2630: All 3 cameras are against a wall. You can see the 935 on the left side of the image. A If compared to the image taken during the day, the absence of natural light does result in a more "grainy" picture.

Last edited:

goodwin

Reaction score
Have you tried using IPCam viewer Pro and TinyCam Pro app with Sineoji Cams ? Give it a shot, it's cool. My preference is Tinycam Pro app.

Screenshot taken with Sineoji’s PT603V, 130° wide viewing angle with 960P HD
34f77a8138.png

Screenshot taken with Sineoji’s PT713V, 170° wide viewing angle using Sineoji app with 1080P HD.
34f733b67f.png

Screenshot taken with Sineoji’s PT713V using IP Cam Viewer Pro by Robert Chou with 1080P HD
34f7874d01.png

Screenshot taken with Sineoji’s PT713V using tinyCam Monitor Pro by Tiny Solutions LLC on 1080P HD
34f785bdc5.png

Screenshot taken on night vision
2fe8644eb2.png

Video on Night Vision

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.