Starhub ending their cable broadband by end next year

Hidit69

Reaction score
If i am reading it correctly, the fibre tv box is connected via rj45 cable. i suppose we can use homeplugs too if we don't want have wires or trunking all over the house?

I don't think Starhub would recommend connecting their TV via homeplugs at all.

BLACKTDiamond

Reaction score
Just call SH to ask about it.

Te terminate: call 1633. verify yourself and your account number of starhub for that service.
FIrst of all find out if you are still under contract or you will be liable for termination charges depending on the tenure remaining.

they will probably , the keyword is probably.... get a Customer relationship manager to call you back to ask to retain your account via a recontract perks.

i-Movies

Reaction score
If I don't want to change my Fibre ISP, I have to use the 2nd Fibre TP for Starhub Fibre-TV, that means by converting existing Cable-TV to Fibre-TV, I have to sign up the cheapest 300Mbps Fibre plan ($29.9/m), additional cost.

I also have multiple Cable set-top boxes, when moving to multiple Fibre set-top boxes, I have to install IP-Switch, Data Points and do cabling in my house... additional costs too.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If I don't want to change my Fibre ISP, I have to use the 2nd Fibre TP for Starhub Fibre-TV, that means by converting existing Cable-TV to Fibre-TV, I have to sign up the cheapest 300Mbps Fibre plan ($29.9/m), additional cost.

I also have multiple Cable set-top boxes, when moving to multiple Fibre set-top boxes, I have to install IP-Switch, Data Points and do cabling in my house... additional costs too.

Starhub did not announce any thing yet so have no worry. There are many old folks who do not have internet and watch cable Tv so it is super hard to move those group of people to fibre Tv. They will not want to loss their customers. I guess they will extend their present Cable Tv. No worry at all.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It up to the landlord right? See if they going to extend a not.

Looking at the situation, SH will sure sweet talk with ST to extend as SH do not want to loss those customers (old folks) that do not have internet access and will never need internet and those using cable Tv but not their internet. There are too many such customers and SH will not want to loss them. Majority are on cable Tv and they will be prepared to terminate if SH insist they move to fibre as many program are available online in 720p via smart Tv or android Tv box.

Last edited:

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Their recent remark on the DDOS made very easy for me to move out.

Bye Starhub ... next year.

No more $120 per month from me.

You are not alone, i guess many will say bye bye. Only old folks will stay for sure.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Their recent remark on the DDOS made very easy for me to move out.

Bye Starhub ... next year.

No more $120 per month from me.

These breakdowns do not happen frequently. Other ISPs do not guarantee no breakdown also.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
IMO starhub will not care about old folks. After all cable tv is a luxury not a must have. Maintaining both cable & fibre probably costs more than losing these few oldies who refuse to budge.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
IMO starhub will not care about old folks. After all cable tv is a luxury not a must have. Maintaining both cable & fibre probably costs more than losing these few oldies who refuse to budge.

Cable Tv was luxury but today it is a must to have because mediacorp has went digital. You are wrong, maintaining the cable is important. Starhub also hope that ST will extend their cable TV. I think more than 60% are on cable TV and it is not possible to push all to fibre. Heard that such old folks make up of ~ 30%. Understand that in future it may be possible to sign up for fibre Tv without internet. They will still provide a ONT for the TV. Starhub CSO told me they will not want to loss their customer and will try to extend and if not possible they will do their best to assist in the moving to fibre. No problem at all.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
These breakdowns do not happen frequently. Other ISPs do not guarantee no breakdown also.

True. Other isp do not guarantee no breakdown. However user need to think a bit la, how such thing can happen to them while others have no problem. Why it happened 2 times? Who did it and what are the enforcement action? How to prevent future attack? How to better protect itself and the users? What will they do if there is a third attack? How do other isp protect themselves?

Last edited:

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
than lag a not??

last time i was with SH, it lag.

It all depends on your expectations. I am always on the lowest plan. That means, I am paying less. I don't play games. But I do "climb" occasionally. And movies streaming are smooth.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.