Wireless Bluetooth Headphones Recommendations

yijuchoo

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking for a pair of wireless Bluetooth headphones with the following in mind:

1) For Android phone (I'm using LG G4)
2) With Mic, remote control (for track change & also accept/reject calls)
3) Volume control
4) Bluetooth, wireless
5) Wire option when out of battery life
6) Noise-Cancellation
7) No sound distraction issue in phone calls
8) Comfortable & can wear for long hours (previous Pioneer se-mx7 gaves me headaches, pain in the ear too)
9) Use for home, travelling (bus, on road)
10) Budget less than $300

I saw quite a number of headphones which seemed quite good but don't know which one to go to as I heard some are not really as good as what is mentioned (eg. pairing problem, or unclear voice calls)? Or you have any headphones that you have tested before that is real good, feel free to recommend!

Below are some I found:
- AKG Y50BT
- Jabra Move Wireless
- Plantronics Backbeat Pro Wireless Bletooth
- Sony MDR-XB950BT Wireless Bluetooth
- Sony MDR-ZX770BN Wireless
- Pendulumic Stance S1+ Wireless Bluetooth
- TDK WR780 Wireless

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sony MDR-1000X currently is the popular wireless+call+wireless music headphone but priced at $599.
Lower than that is Sony MDR-1ABT but at $499.

Than of cuz the two other options you have shortlisted.
Sony MDR-XB950BT Wireless Bluetooth and Sony MDR-ZX770BN Wireless.
The difference between this two and the MDR-1000X and MDR-1ABT
is you have gesture control for call functions/music control by
swiping on the side of the headphone.

MDR-1000X is a more advanced wireless headphone which I tested.
If you need to speak to someone (Not calls), you don't need to take down
the headphone just press the button to switch it to voice mode
so you can listen to the person speaking.

By far this is the most unique feature MDR-1000X have over other wireless headphone but doubt you have the budget for it.
Sound quality wise for MDR-1000X and MDR-1ABT are good as I have tested them before.

Sony MDR-XB950BT Wireless Bluetooth and Sony MDR-ZX770BN I have not tested them before but I would say their sound should be good.
Key difference between the two is Sony MDR-ZX770BN is normal sounding headphone whereas MDR-XB950BT is for bass lover.

Unless you have music with lots of beats like dance tracks and etc.
definitely go for MDR-XB950BT.
Anyway these are just my opinion, best to test with your own device and see which one suits you.

Other brands I have no comment, for me I am a Sony user as Sony audio equipment have natural and balanced sounding as compare with other brands.
Cheers.

mudsoap

Reaction score
Creative WP-380

Pros:
relatively cheap (~S$129)
aptx codec
Good balance sound and clear bass

Cons:
Build may be a little plastic for some
Has some squeak at the hinges (easily fixed with some teflon lubricant)

Marshall II Bluetooth
Wireless / wired option
Compact / portable
aptx codec
full phone controls

Last edited:

yijuchoo

Reaction score
Sony MDR-1000X currently is the popular wireless+call+wireless music headphone but priced at $599.
Lower than that is Sony MDR-1ABT but at $499.

Than of cuz the two other options you have shortlisted.
Sony MDR-XB950BT Wireless Bluetooth and Sony MDR-ZX770BN Wireless.
The difference between this two and the MDR-1000X and MDR-1ABT
is you have gesture control for call functions/music control by
swiping on the side of the headphone.

MDR-1000X is a more advanced wireless headphone which I tested.
If you need to speak to someone (Not calls), you don't need to take down
the headphone just press the button to switch it to voice mode
so you can listen to the person speaking.

By far this is the most unique feature MDR-1000X have over other wireless headphone but doubt you have the budget for it.
Sound quality wise for MDR-1000X and MDR-1ABT are good as I have tested them before.

Sony MDR-XB950BT Wireless Bluetooth and Sony MDR-ZX770BN I have not tested them before but I would say their sound should be good.
Key difference between the two is Sony MDR-ZX770BN is normal sounding headphone whereas MDR-XB950BT is for bass lover.

Unless you have music with lots of beats like dance tracks and etc.
definitely go for MDR-XB950BT.
Anyway these are just my opinion, best to test with your own device and see which one suits you.

Other brands I have no comment, for me I am a Sony user as Sony audio equipment have natural and balanced sounding as compare with other brands.
Cheers.

Thanks techidiot & all! But are Sony's headphones comfortable to wear for long hours?

yijuchoo

Reaction score
Creative WP-380

Pros:
relatively cheap (~S$129)
aptx codec
Good balance sound and clear bass

Cons:
Build may be a little plastic for some
Has some squeak at the hinges (easily fixed with some teflon lubricant)

Marshall II Bluetooth
Wireless / wired option
Compact / portable
aptx codec
full phone controls

Thanks mudsoap for the suggestion :) But I read in techspot that it might be a bit tight to wear.

yijuchoo

Reaction score
Anyone who has views/opinions on the listed or other over ear headsets, please do feel free to share. Thank you! I'd like to get more opinions of tested users to easily narrow down which ones to lookout for.:D

mlwang

Master Member
Reaction score
I am using MDR-ZX770BN.

The noise cancellation is good for low frequency range, good for flights and bus rides. I wear mine during bus rides, can eliminate up to 90% of the noises in the bus, except for chatters from fellow passengers and whirling sounds when the bus accelerates. 8/10 for noise cancellation.

Music quality, bass is decent (I am not a bass lover), mids are good. But separation of the instruments average. I am not an audiophile though :p Overall, 7.5/10 for music quality.

The comfort level, a bit heavy, can get hot after 30 mins of usage on the ears. Ears feel a little painful after 1 hr of usage. Still bearable. 7/10 for comfort level after 1 hr use.

For $300, think this is the best pair of noise cancellation headphones you can get. Check out Carousell, saw someone selling a pair of seldom use MDR-ZX770BN.

mudsoap

Reaction score
Is there any place we could test out headphones? Previously I could try out some models at Challenger. I know a shop in Level 5 Sim Lim square which has some display sets to try.

musicsg_com

Reaction score
Anyone who has views/opinions on the listed or other over ear headsets, please do feel free to share. Thank you! I'd like to get more opinions of tested users to easily narrow down which ones to lookout for.:D

Plantronics BackBeat Pro is one hell of a headphones, with a lot of tech built into it. 24 hours battery, ANC, wired listening, OpenMic, auto-pause, etc. Sound quality-wise, the bass is deep and firm but not bloated. Treble is very sparkling.

The only thing that I don't like is the size. It's huge.

Review: http://musicphotolife.com/2014/12/10-features-you-will-love-on-the-plantronics-backbeat-pro-wireless-headphones/

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is there any place we could test out headphones? Previously I could try out some models at Challenger. I know a shop in Level 5 Sim Lim square which has some display sets to try.

Connect IT, Stereo (Only certain Sony Headphones not all),
Sony Store, Sehhenizer showroom at Marina Square.

mlwang

Master Member
Reaction score

Plaza Singapura level 4 Stereo.

mlwang

Master Member
Reaction score
I just finished auditing Sony MDR-1000X,Bose QC35, and compared them with my MDR-ZX770BN.

Below are my observations.

Active Noise cancelling, Sony MDR-1000X and QC35 are better in filtering ambient sounds compared to MDR-ZX770BN. Sony MDR-1000X ANC is comparable to QC35.

Music quality. I feel that Sony MDR-1000X is slightly better than
MDR-ZX770BN, I am using a Spotify downloaded high quality stream. I am expecting huge difference on MDR-1000X but it's only marginal to me. QC35 sound quality is the worse among 3 of them.

Comfort, Bose QC35 is the most comfortable among all. I feel that I can wear it for hours without fatigue. Sony MDR-1000X slightly more comfortable than Sony Zx770bn, but don't think I will feel comfortable with MDR-1000X in a long haul flight.

In summary, Bose QC35 for frequent flyers. Sony MDR-1000X for public commuters who wants both good active noise cancellation and music quality.

Sony Zx770bn for those who are on budget and don't mind the poor ambient noise cancellation. But Zx770bn offers decent wireless music quality at the lowest price.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just finished auditing Sony MDR-1000X,Bose QC35, and compared them with my MDR-ZX770BN.

Active Noise cancelling, Sony MDR-1000X and QC35 are better in filtering ambient sounds compared to MDR-ZX770BN. Sony MDR-1000X ANC is comparable to QC35.

MDR-ZX770BN, I am using a Spotify downloaded high quality stream. I am expecting huge difference on MDR-1000X but it's only marginal to me. QC35 sound quality is the worse among 3 of them.

Comfort, Bose QC35 is the most comfortable among all. I feel that I can wear it for hours without fatigue. Sony MDR-1000X slightly more comfortable than Sony Zx770bn, but don't think I will feel comfortable with MDR-1000X in a long haul flight.

In summary, Bose QC35 for frequent flyers. Sony MDR-1000X for public commuters who wants both good active noise cancellation and music quality.

Sony Zx770bn for those who are on budget and don't mind the poor ambient noise cancellation. But Zx770bn offers decent wireless music quality at the lowest price.

For Sony users, definitely once we owned Sony we can condemn all other brands especially BOSE. Sony have their own audio signature which is balanced sound unlike other brands.

Don't forget Sony have Sony music, headphones like Sony MDR-1A, MDR-1000X are tuned according to how recording are.
I agree QC35 music quality is the worse, to me too soft.

Comfort and lightweight wise QC35 win in that area.
To get the most out of MDR-1000X, you need Tidal or FLAC rips files from CD for it to shine as it is a high resolution headphone based on the popular MDR-1A design.

I tested MDR-1000X with high res 24/96khz I would say file format does make a difference.
I have tested the MDR-770bn before but I agree with what you mention.

It's a affordable range so other than good sound quality, NC is still not comparable with either MDR-1000X or QC35.
MDR-1000X have gesture control which I do not know whether did you play with it.

You can talk whether on the phone or face to face with someone without taking down the headphone. Forward, volume up and etc.
MDR-1000X do not need app to get the full potential unlike BOSE which you need.

Cheers.

mlwang

Master Member
Reaction score
I agree with you that MDR-1000X will no doubt sound great with a high bit rate file.

I tried the gesture control, like the cupping on the right to pause the music and cancel the ANC so that you that talk to people, but I find it not that useful esp if you want to talk to someone for say 5 mins, it's strange to keep holding your hand on the headphone haha. The volume up and down I find it quite sensitive and I still prefer normal buttons to control volume.

The deal breaker is the comfort level. I am looking for a comfortable ANC headphones and QC35 provides the most comfortable experience.

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I using cheapo remax

Works well. Can't hear family members talk when i watching movie.

Model is 195, abt 65 bucks only.

crapp0

Master Member
Reaction score
I own a Jabra move wireless on the recommendation of thewirecutter.

So far its price to performance is quite good but i believe mine has an unusual issue.

That aside, i will mention the pros and cons of the jabra move wirless based on my 3 weeks of using it.

Pros - The price if its on sale is was quite good, (Bought it for around USD 60.00 on amazon)

- The sound quality is good if your not into heavy bass since i noticed that compared to my Sony MDR 7506 and ajays five for android. But all around listening is good, just dont expect a clear bass sound signature.

-Battery actually exceeds the 8 hour mark so thats a bonus

-Controls are decent and there isnt much interference on bluetooth

-For an on-ear headphone, its quite comfortable

Now the cons

- I believe mine is a lemon since the headphone has a weird issue if you switch it off and leave it off for quite sometime, you cant switch it back on until you plug it in for charging which "wakes it up" and it will function normally until you switch it off for a period of time (A couple of hours by my best estimate).

This issue happens periodically since sometimes it will start up, sometimes it wont. I just leave my headphone on standby which negates the problem of waking it up but i dont like to leave it on standby mode for fear that it will drain the battery.

I will try send it to the local jabra service center to see if they can diagnose the problem.

musicdreamer

Reaction score

I like the way you reviewed and break-down the pros and cons. Very informative. I'm looking at them as well though the Sony Zx770bn is not in my list. Did you get to test out the Sennheiser PXC550? The most costly of the lot but not sure if it has the best of both Sony and Bose? Might head down to Stereo to audit them this weekend.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.