Back from South island New Zealand

mybigroadtrip

Reaction score
Wow, I just visited your blog and your description on "New Zealand heals my soul" is so captivating !

I will be visiting New Zealand for the first time in March/April next year for 2 weeks. Initially , I thought of covering both north and south islands but having read the comments, I think I would be better off spending more time in the South Island.

I can't find any itinerary for 2 weeks in the South Island. By any chance, r u in the midst of writing something on this? If not, could you kindly share the recommended itinerary ?

My tickets are bought to fly in and out of Auckland. I guess I can't pass out a visit in Auckland entirely, so the thoughts is perhaps spending 2 days in Auckland/immediate outskirt upon landing, fly to South Island for 10/11 days, then fly back to Auckland to stay one night before flying back SG?

Thanks for your advice :)
I am glad to hear you enjoyed my article! I am in the midst of putting together a south island itinerary. I hope it will be ready sometime next week. Will update here again once done. Thanks!

hawkwind

Master Member
Reaction score
Bare in mind that many good sights require that you do some walking or short treks of up to half a day to see some worthwhile scenery. At Fox Glacier and Franz Joseph, a walk of 1.5 - 2hrs is needed to walk up to glacier face. Of course you can chose to just see it from afar at the car park area. At Queenstown, a half day climb up Queenstown Hill is well worthwhile for a better view than from Queenstown Gondola. At Mt. Cook/Aroaki, a three hour walk to see the glacier lake is also very nice.

So while planning do take into account these factors as to how long to stay at each place. For travelling, I would say add at least one cafe break for each 2hrs of driving. Use Google Maps to estimate drive times and add 10% more.

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
Itin for 15 days in NZ South island. Comments/suggestions please

I and my wife are going for 15 days trip in NZ's South Island this Christmas/NY. After spending considerable amount on research, here is the ITIN I came with. Looking forward towards tips and suggestions.

--------
Dec 21st - Arrival. Grab car, drive to Arthur's pass, check it at YHA Arthur's Pass. Arrive, rest, walk, stay for night.

Dec 22nd - Check out, walk/hike around during the day. Drive to go see Pancake Rocks at sunset, drive to Ross and stay one night there at a motel.

Dec 23rd - check out, continue driving towards Fox Glacier or Pine Grove Motel 30km south.

Dec 24th - Long drive to Queenstown. On the way stop by and do Blue Pools Walk, drive between lakes Wanaka and Hawaea, stop by at Wanaka town for a meal. Arrive at Pinewood Lodge (quite ...... according to reviews, but it was the only available for these nights without paying >$500 per night), stay there for two nights.

Dec 24th/25th - Christmas eve/day: do local sightseeing Arrowtown Glenorchy, Arthurs Point.

Dec 26th - Tour to Milford Sound, come back, drive to Roxburgh, one night there via airbnb.

Dec 27th - Leave and drive to Lazy Dolphin Lodge, stay two nights there.

Dec 28th/29th - Explore Catlins

Dec 29th - Stay one night at Surat Bay Lodge

Dec 30th - Check out and drive to Dunedin and stay there for two night at AirBnB place

Jan 1st - Leave Dunedin, drive to Oamaru, stay there at AirBnB place for two night

Jan 3rd - Leave Oamaru and go back Christchurch. Have not booked accommodation yet. Stay two nights at AirBnB place at Christchurch.

Jan 5th - Fly back.

--------

Now questions:

Arrival and drive towards Arthur's Pass - where would you recommend to stop by to get some food? I was told that food at Arthur's Pass is not that great at most places and it is only one place - at 5* lodge, but it would cost $90 and more per person to dine there. I'd rather go to a local sandwich shop and and get $7 sandwich or by supplies at supermarket.

Separate food related question: does it make sense to to buy a small, portable grill to be able to grill meat during our trip?

Fox/FJG - I understand we can see/walk just one of them for one day but not both. Reading Wiki articles inclines me to go towards Fox and do hike to the glacier and walk around Lake Matheson. What do you think? Is there anything else must see?

Drive towards Wanaka/Queenstown - except what I've listed above, anything else must see?

Accomodations at Lazy Dolphin and Surat Bay lodges - anybody stayed there? What to expect? If you have stayed at both, which one would you choose?

Is there anything to see/not to miss when driving from Roxburgh to south and from above mentioned places towards Dunedin?

What one can do at New Year at Dunedin? Any places to go/have fun?

Thanks again.

P.S. Side note - probably it will be our most expensive vacation ever - would be glad if it does not cost more than $7K. Just on lodgings I've spent more than I spent on lodgings for previous 4 years combined while vacationing around Asia.

mybigroadtrip

Reaction score
I and my wife are going for 15 days trip in NZ's South Island this Christmas/NY. After spending considerable amount on research, here is the ITIN I came with. Looking forward towards tips and suggestions.

--------
Dec 21st - Arrival. Grab car, drive to Arthur's pass, check it at YHA Arthur's Pass. Arrive, rest, walk, stay for night.

Dec 22nd - Check out, walk/hike around during the day. Drive to go see Pancake Rocks at sunset, drive to Ross and stay one night there at a motel.

Dec 23rd - check out, continue driving towards Fox Glacier or Pine Grove Motel 30km south.

Dec 24th - Long drive to Queenstown. On the way stop by and do Blue Pools Walk, drive between lakes Wanaka and Hawaea, stop by at Wanaka town for a meal. Arrive at Pinewood Lodge (quite ...... according to reviews, but it was the only available for these nights without paying >$500 per night), stay there for two nights.

Dec 24th/25th - Christmas eve/day: do local sightseeing Arrowtown Glenorchy, Arthurs Point.

Dec 26th - Tour to Milford Sound, come back, drive to Roxburgh, one night there via airbnb.

Dec 30th - Check out and drive to Dunedin and stay there for two night at AirBnB place

Jan 1st - Leave Dunedin, drive to Oamaru, stay there at AirBnB place for two night

Jan 3rd - Leave Oamaru and go back Christchurch. Have not booked accommodation yet. Stay two nights at AirBnB place at Christchurch.

Jan 5th - Fly back.

--------

Now questions:

Arrival and drive towards Arthur's Pass - where would you recommend to stop by to get some food? I was told that food at Arthur's Pass is not that great at most places and it is only one place - at 5* lodge, but it would cost $90 and more per person to dine there. I'd rather go to a local sandwich shop and and get $7 sandwich or by supplies at supermarket.

Separate food related question: does it make sense to to buy a small, portable grill to be able to grill meat during our trip?

Fox/FJG - I understand we can see/walk just one of them for one day but not both. Reading Wiki articles inclines me to go towards Fox and do hike to the glacier and walk around Lake Matheson. What do you think? Is there anything else must see?

Drive towards Wanaka/Queenstown - except what I've listed above, anything else must see?

Accomodations at Lazy Dolphin and Surat Bay lodges - anybody stayed there? What to expect? If you have stayed at both, which one would you choose?

Is there anything to see/not to miss when driving from Roxburgh to south and from above mentioned places towards Dunedin?

Thanks again.

P.S. Side note - probably it will be our most expensive vacation ever - would be glad if it does not cost more than $7K. Just on lodgings I've spent more than I spent on lodgings for previous 4 years combined while vacationing around Asia.
Wah...I see you are making a BIG trip to NZ, congrats!

First off: I am rather concerned about your intentions of touring Milford Sound on Dec 26 and THEN drive on to Roxburgh. From Queenstown to Milford and back to Queenstown (including the cruise) takes about 12 hours. From Queenstown on to Roxburgh is another 2 hours. You sure you want to do that? Bear in mind it is boxing day and there may still be lots of traffic - Christmas and Easter are HUGE holidays for the Kiwis, please take note of that. You will have to factor in more time for travelling.

As for food, I suggest you stock up in Christchurch. Most shops will be closed Dec 24-26. There is a Pak'nSave supermarket in Riccarton Westfield in Christchurch, about 15 mins from Christchurch Airport. You can also shop at the Countdown supermarket, right next to the airport (but it is slightly pricier and has less selections - but still good lah). Please factor in driving time. Driving out of Christchurch is a test on your patience. Speed limit in most places in Christchurch is between 60kmh and 80kmh. You will have to drive south for quite a bit before the speed limit picks up to 100kmh.
As for the meat grill, most motels allow cooking so you shd be fine. But do note that grills can set off a lot of smoke and hence you might inadvertently set off the fire alarm too :) - You wouldn't want that.
Depending on how adventurous you are, either Franz Josef or Fox Glacier is fine. Fox Glacier is very near to Lake Matheson - good if you want to take that dawn photoshoot of that Lake. Fox Glacier is also easier to hike to the terminal face. Whereas Franz Josef town has more to offer by way of food, it is also longer to hike to.
Dunedin: Go to Baldwin Street - The world's steepest street. Quite a 'scary' drive up the road.
I was wondering if you would like to cut short your stay at the Catlins. Curio Bay is good enough. No need to stay at Curio Bay and at Owaka (they are just 1 hour apart).
Don't forget to catch the penguins at Oamaru. Go for the FREE viewing of the rare Yellow-eyed penguins at the end of Bushy Beach Road in Oamaru. Go at dawn. There is a shelter from which to view these penguins from a distance. Bring a zoom lens and a pair of binoculars.
Oamaru is also very near to Dunedin, just 1 night is enough.
And if I may recommend you, please go to Maruia Springs to stay 1 night: http://maruiahotsprings.nz/

Is it too late to alter your itinerary? Are you able to include Lake Tekapo and Mount Cook into your itinerary? I am not sure what you are looking for in your trip. But missing Mt Cook and Lake Tekapo is like inviting your friends to Singapore and not visiting Sentosa/Gardens by the Bay/MBS.
I suspect most people who are visiting NZ, want to see some snow-capped mountains and lots of lakes. So, please consider going to Mount Cook and Lake Tekapo if you can. With due respect to Dunedin, The Catlins, Christchurch (which are places that are beautiful in their own right), they have less of the 'wow' factor, IMHO. If you need help, let me know.
Oh, please consider using airbnb to get a private room while in queenstown. You want that lake view from your accommodation. Your present accommodation doesn't have any lake views, from my understanding.

mybigroadtrip

Reaction score
Bare in mind that many good sights require that you do some walking or short treks of up to half a day to see some worthwhile scenery. At Fox Glacier and Franz Joseph, a walk of 1.5 - 2hrs is needed to walk up to glacier face. Of course you can chose to just see it from afar at the car park area. At Queenstown, a half day climb up Queenstown Hill is well worthwhile for a better view than from Queenstown Gondola. At Mt. Cook/Aroaki, a three hour walk to see the glacier lake is also very nice.

So while planning do take into account these factors as to how long to stay at each place. For travelling, I would say add at least one cafe break for each 2hrs of driving. Use Google Maps to estimate drive times and add 10% more.
I am in full agreement there.

kakashixx

Reaction score

--------

Jan 5th - Fly back.

--------

Now questions:

Thanks again.

Arthurs Pass is a super small town with like 2-3 buildings only? But i did stayed over before, just a pitstop nothing more.food wise theres a restaurant there, pricewise similar to all others in NZ, nt much of a choice there i guess haha

Visiting/getting up the glacier is weather dependent. I usually give myself 2days in case its pouring on 1 day. Same for views at lake matheson, dont expect ur postcard view on a cloud day.

Noticed u skip wanaka and went straight to queenstown. Wanaka, was my fav town in NZ, far more than queenstown. So do check it out n consider if u can stay a night or two over there

When in queenstown, give a day for glenorchy, trekking or horse riding, the scenery there is absolutely beautiful esp if u are a LOTR fan.

On your milford sound day, do note that its an entire day out, u might be really exhausted after that for any driving to b done

Last edited:

hawkwind

Master Member
Reaction score
Depending on how adventurous you are, either Franz Josef or Fox Glacier is fine. Fox Glacier is very near to Lake Matheson - good if you want to take that dawn photoshoot of that Lake. Fox Glacier is also easier to hike to the terminal face. Whereas Franz Josef town has more to offer by way of food, it is also longer to hike to.
Dunedin: Go to Baldwin Street - The world's steepest street. Quite a 'scary' drive up the road.
I was wondering if you would like to cut short your stay at the Catlins. Curio Bay is good enough. No need to stay at Curio Bay and at Owaka (they are just 1 hour apart).
Don't forget to catch the penguins at Oamaru. Go for the FREE viewing of the rare Yellow-eyed penguins at the end of Bushy Beach Road in Oamaru. Go at dawn. There is a shelter from which to view these penguins from a distance. Bring a zoom lens and a pair of binoculars.
And if I may recommend you, please go to Maruia Springs to stay 1 night: http://maruiahotsprings.nz/

Is it too late to alter your itinerary? Are you able to include Lake Tekapo and Mount Cook into your itinerary? I am not sure what you are looking for in your trip. But missing Mt Cook and Lake Tekapo is like inviting your friends to Singapore and not visiting Sentosa/Gardens by the Bay/MBS.
I suspect most people who are visiting NZ, want to see some snow-capped mountains and lots of lakes. So, please consider going to Mount Cook and Lake Tekapo if you can. With due respect to Dunedin, The Catlins, Christchurch (which are places that are beautiful in their own right), they have less of the 'wow' factor, IMHO. If you need help, let me know.
Oh, please consider using airbnb to get a private room while in queenstown. You want that lake view from your accommodation. Your present accommodation doesn't have any lake views, from my understanding.

Dunedin and the Catlins can be explored if you have enough time. A drive along the Otago Peninsula along the Highcliff Road is quite magical and I had one of the best dinners at 1908 Restaurant at Portabello Road. The Catlins is very nice rolling countryside, wild coasts and small but memorable stops along the way. The Nugget Point Light house is the highlight along that stretch IMO.

powerxbox

Reaction score
Let me share my itinerary as well , planning to go on may next year .

Renting a Campervan , plan to go for 14 days , any suggestion are welcome .

Day 1

Arrive

Day 2
Christchurch - Arthur's Pass - Greymouth

Day 3
Greymouth - Fox Glacier (2 HRS 34 MINS 198 KM 123 MI)

Day 4
Fox Glacier - Wanaka (3 HRS 6 MINS 263 KM 164 MI )

Day 5
Wanaka - Queenstown (1 HR 7 MINS 71 KM 44 MI)

Day 6

Queenstown-箭镇Arrowtown-蒂阿奴Te Anau (2小时 4分钟(173公里)

Day 7
Te Anau - Invercargill ( 1h 50 min 153 km)

Day 8

Invercargill – Kaka point ( 1 h 47 min 145 km) – Dunedin ( 1h 16 min 100km)

Day 9

Dunedin – Lake Tekapo ( 3 h 31 min 287km)

Day 10

Lake Tekapo – Christchurch ( 2h25min 203km)

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
First of all, thanks for the feedback.

Wah...I see you are making a BIG trip to NZ, congrats!
Thanks. It took the most planning I've done so far.

First off: I am rather concerned about your intentions of touring Milford Sound on Dec 26 and THEN drive on to Roxburgh.

No driving involved to Milford. It is this tour I booked. Should be back by 4:30PM and then drive.

Christmas and Easter are HUGE holidays for the Kiwis, please take note of that. You will have to factor in more time for travelling.

As for food, I suggest you stock up in Christchurch. Most shops will be closed Dec 24-26.
What is the point to stock up on 21st and what you can buy which will last for next three days while carrying it in car/motels?

Where one can go to buy food/eat on 24th-25th in Queenstown and vicinities? We will be arriving there probably around 6PM on 24th. What are our options?

I will ask other questions later.

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
As for the meat grill, most motels allow cooking so you shd be fine. But do note that grills can set off a lot of smoke and hence you might inadvertently set off the fire alarm too :) - You wouldn't want that.

Checked with my wife and she suggested to take with us an electric skillet, like this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007XRTDG

Question is - any problem using this in places where they have kitchenettes? Out skillet is rated as 1500W which I think should be OK.

Fox Glacier is very near to Lake Matheson - good if you want to take that dawn photoshoot of that Lake. Fox Glacier is also easier to hike to the terminal face. Whereas Franz Josef town has more to offer by way of food, it is also longer to hike to.
I think we will hike around Fox and stock up supplies for next two days at FJ town.

OK, thank on that. Is there anywhere to go there to celebrate NY?

If one AirBnB At Manapouri stay will go thru we will drive there on 26th from Queenstown and stay there for two, or possible three nights to go to Milford Sound and take cruise on Doubtful Sound. In this case we will skip Lazy Dolphin place and go to Surat Bay on 29th.

So I do not need to physically catch them. Good. :)

We probably arrive on evening on Jan 1st, if we are lucky, we can see penguins that evening. If not - next day.

That's off the route, on north. Won't happen this time. Probably next time, if ever.

How would I say... if someone comes to Singapore, I'd rather take them to Pulau Ubin, McRitchie, East Coast Park, walk around Tanjong Pagar to see shophouses and have meal at Tiong Bahru hawker center, then take water taxi to Gardens. MBS would be way bottom on my list of priorities which is temple of soulless consumerism. But is is just me and my priorities.

Tepako is 4-5h drive one way from Dunedin. Considering that we will leave on Jan 1st, there is no lodging available there for less than $400/night.

Starts from $350/night on the dates we want. Double of our budget.

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
Arthurs Pass is a super small town with like 2-3 buildings only? But i did stayed over before, just a pitstop nothing more.food wise theres a restaurant there, pricewise similar to all others in NZ, nt much of a choice there i guess haha

We are staying there because I drive after 10h flight and not sure how much sleep I am going to get. I can handle 2-3h driving without much problem, but I'd rather do not drive more than that. Plus it would be good to get stop and some walk on arrival day and day after.

In terms of food - will get supplies at Pack'n'Save.

Noticed u skip wanaka and went straight to queenstown. Wanaka, was my fav town in NZ, far more than queenstown. So do check it out n consider if u can stay a night or two over there

Changed already - staying there at Christmas eve on 24th - at YHA. Should be an interesting experience. On 25th one night at quite shi$$y hotel (according to reviews) but if some alternative comes - will switch.

When in queenstown, give a day for glenorchy, trekking or horse riding, the scenery there is absolutely beautiful esp if u are a LOTR fan.
Noted. Was planning to go there as well.

On your milford sound day, do note that its an entire day out, u might be really exhausted after that for any driving to b done
No driving. Flying.

silverwing

Master Member
Reaction score
Checked with my wife and she suggested to take with us an electric skillet, like this

Question is - any problem using this in places where they have kitchenettes? Out skillet is rated as 1500W which I think should be OK.

I think we will hike around Fox and stock up supplies for next two days at FJ town.

If one AirBnB At Manapouri stay will go thru we will drive there on 26th from Queenstown and stay there for two, or possible three nights to go to Milford Sound and take cruise on Doubtful Sound. In this case we will skip Lazy Dolphin place and go to Surat Bay on 29th.

We probably arrive on evening on Jan 1st, if we are lucky, we can see penguins that evening. If not - next day.

That's off the route, on north. Won't happen this time. Probably next time, if ever.

How would I say... if someone comes to Singapore, I'd rather take them to Pulau Ubin, McRitchie, East Coast Park, walk around Tanjong Pagar to see shophouses and have meal at Tiong Bahru hawker center, then take water taxi to Gardens. MBS would be way bottom on my list of priorities which is temple of soulless consumerism. But is is just me and my priorities.

Tepako is 4-5h drive one way from Dunedin. Considering that we will leave on Jan 1st, there is no lodging available there for less than $400/night.

perhaps you may want to consider campervan instead. Provide lodging, freedom, and kitchen to do all ur cooking without any worries.

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
Dunedin and the Catlins can be explored if you have enough time. A drive along the Otago Peninsula along the Highcliff Road is quite magical and I had one of the best dinners at 1908 Restaurant at Portabello Road. The Catlins is very nice rolling countryside, wild coasts and small but memorable stops along the way. The Nugget Point Light house is the highlight along that stretch IMO.

Thanks for suggestions regarding the diner. Any recommendations where to celebrate New Year at Dunedin?

mybigroadtrip

Reaction score

Hey mate, you got me there :) haha. Yeah, you're right. Pulau Ubin would probably be my kind of place too.
Looks like you have it all set up! Be sure to share your photos here, if possible. Excited for you! Have a good one!

mybigroadtrip

Reaction score
First of all, thanks for the feedback.

Thanks. It took the most planning I've done so far.

No driving involved to Milford. It is this tour I booked. Should be back by 4:30PM and then drive.

What is the point to stock up on 21st and what you can buy which will last for next three days while carrying it in car/motels?

Where one can go to buy food/eat on 24th-25th in Queenstown and vicinities? We will be arriving there probably around 6PM on 24th. What are our options?

I will ask other questions later.
Honestly, I am not quite sure if the shops will remain open till late on the 24th. But, Dec also being peak tourist season, I believe some shops will remain open. There is a huge New World supermarket at The Remarkables Park Shopping Centre http://www.newworld.co.nz/south-island/otago-and-southland/wakatipu/ I think this should remain open on the 24th. Call ahead just to be sure.

mybigroadtrip

Reaction score
perhaps you may want to consider campervan instead. Provide lodging, freedom, and kitchen to do all ur cooking without any worries.
You know what? I have never done campervan before. For one thing, I usually have a bunch of people with me. I snore and i worry that my travelling party will have me for lunch if I shared a campervan with them.

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score

You know what? I have never done campervan before. For one thing, I usually have a bunch of people with me. I snore and i worry that my travelling party will have me for lunch if I shared a campervan with them.

One of the option was campervan when started research and decided against it for following reasons:

- you _still_ need to pay fees/permits at caravan parks to get there. It can be $20-$50 per night.
- You can't park your van at a parking lot on cities and sleep there, you have to go to a park. Or stay away from the city hoping that police won't find and fine you.
- If you want a van with shower/toilet in it, it will start min $110/day rental. So with insurance and fees you are looking at minimum $150/night expenses. One can stay at budget motels or AirBnB places for half of that price
- Third party insurance covering autos DO NOT cover campervans/trucks/pickups. At least the one with reasonable prices.

Last edited:

hawkwind

Master Member
Reaction score
I saw plenty of campervans and although you have to camp at designated campsites, they seem to be well located at most visited locations. However, many motels have built in kitchenettes in-room with stove and microwave and come at a relatively low cost. You have to weigh the pros and cons of sleeping indoors on a bed with proper toilets (and wifi).

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
One questions regarding bringing a gifts

Semi-offtopic, but where I can get cheap fridge magnets with Merlion and Singapore sights? Thinking to buy several of them and give as gifts to our AirBnB hosts.

I would assume that Bugis and Chinatown would be #1 spots for them, but would be there cheap options? I don't want to pay more than $3 per piece.

_Dave_

Reaction score
Thanks for suggestions regarding the diner. Any recommendations where to celebrate New Year at Dunedin?

dunedin is a student town, so everywhere also got parties lol. how do YOU wish to celebrate the new year?

so excited for you. keep us updated on the trip :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.