Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones

visuallin

Reaction score
no money haha. i think i'll go with the magni 2 first then get a DAC next time

Maybe a more logical approach is wait for your HD6XX to arrive or use a HD650(some shops already have test units), bring your source and audition it on DACs and Amps found at Stereo, Zeppelin and Co, Jaben or E1 Audio.

xDragon

Reaction score
E17k definately not enough to power this adequately. Actually nothing portable will power this.

You should be looking at a desktop amp for this purpose. You can get the E17k to play this loud but that does not guaranty it sounding good.

I beg to differ. The Oppo HA-2/SE, TEAC HA-P50, xduoo XD05 and some other quality dac/amps should give you a reasonable experience if you need to have portability. People shouldn't just look at impedence values, sensitivity and other factors are important as well.

ILLEGALTENDER

Reaction score

ILLEGALTENDER

Reaction score
I beg to differ. The Oppo HA-2/SE, TEAC HA-P50, xduoo XD05 and some other quality dac/amps should give you a reasonable experience if you need to have portability. People shouldn't just look at impedence values, sensitivity and other factors are important as well.

To drive headphones and for headphones to sound loud are 2 different things :)

I'm not trying to be a snob but the HD650 (of which the HD6xx is a cheaper version of) is power hungry. You can get it to sound loud with the above mentioned amps but it's gonna sound quite wrong.

Just 2 cents

xDragon

Reaction score
To drive headphones and for headphones to sound loud are 2 different things :)

I'm not trying to be a snob but the HD650 (of which the HD6xx is a cheaper version of) is power hungry. You can get it to sound loud with the above mentioned amps but it's gonna sound quite wrong.

Just 2 cents

😒 so I assume you've tried it the hd650/hd6xx with those dac/amps? I've tried similar cans like the r70x, hd600 and the hd650 itself with the oppo ha-2 and it performs well imo, subjective to how loud you like to blow your ears out, I don't crank the volume up too much scared of hearing loss 😁

Buckbrick

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Come on boys, your advise like all over the place lol.

astheten's chain: MP3(Hopefully 320kbps) -> PCI Creative X-Fi Soundblaster -> HD6XX

So which should he change or upgrade first, and within a relatively strict budget.

Extra Reading: https://www.massdrop.com/talk/758/recommend-amp-dac-for-the-hd-6-xx

Thought the first order of things for a 300ohm headphone is to have an amp that can drive them? Not a PC guy but I doubt the sound card can. MD has a number of cheap amps, both solid state and tube.

xuan87

Reaction score
Looking at the TS's setup, I will say that the first thing to do is get a better amp. Doesn't have to be expensive, an O2 or Schiit Magni 2 is good enough. I prefer neutral, solid state amps over tube amps so those 2 are my recommendations for a decent entry level amps. I tend not to go for lesser known amps, of which there are alot on Massdrop because they tend to be warm and thus changing the sound signature of your headphones.

Why not a DAC? Because the source is MP3 files. I don't know if they are 128 or 320 kbps files but at minimum, they should be 256kbps. I will argue that you'll hear more improvement going from 128kbps to 256kbps compared to upgrading your DAC but still keeping your 128kbps files.

ILLEGALTENDER

Reaction score
😒 so I assume you've tried it the hd650/hd6xx with those dac/amps? I've tried similar cans like the r70x, hd600 and the hd650 itself with the oppo ha-2 and it performs well imo, subjective to how loud you like to blow your ears out, I don't crank the volume up too much scared of hearing loss 😁

Buddy neither do I like to crank my volume up. Actually I listen at quite low volumes.

It just does not give it the "fullness" but if you take things in perspective, its better than directly out from a phone.

ashethen

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hoot the HD6xx first and endure the hollow sound until can get a decent amp :s13:
Schiit magni decent enough for entry level amp in your opinion?
I'm thinking of abandoning my sound card as it's 10 years old and some functions aren't working. Any recommendation for DAC around US$ 150? Preferably have a S/PDIF input.
Most of my mp3 are in 320kbit

Sent from LGE LG-D855 using GAGT

Last edited:

Lycanista

Master Member
Reaction score
Schiit magni decent enough for entry level amp in your opinion?
I'm thinking of abandoning my sound card as it's 10 years old and some functions aren't working. Any recommendation for DAC around US$ 150? Preferably have a S/PDIF input.
Most of my mp3 are in 320kbit

Schiit stack is decent enough as an entry amp/dac combo which has enough power for most headphones and if you prefer to have SPDIF input you can always get the Modi 2 uber.

LaksaTitan

Reaction score
Managed to hoot one, don't think my current USB powered budget amp can power it. Last time buy budget one cos didn't think would be buying high impedance headphones.

Any budget amps then can be used to drive it? I will buy DAC later down the road or use current nuforce u-dac for now

ashethen

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Schiit stack is decent enough as an entry amp/dac combo which has enough power for most headphones and if you prefer to have SPDIF input you can always get the Modi 2 uber.
Thanks. There is such a thing as a coaxial to USB adapter if my source only has coaxial output and I connect to the non uber modi USB input right?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.