Malaysia prepaid card

kitkat2

Reaction score
To cut a long story short, I noticed a deduction on a card and was told it's for data roaming, though the option has never been put on in any of my phones. Their proof is that I was hooked on their roaming partner's network.

I recall that when I once set the network for a U Mobile card to Singtel/M1 instead of Starhub, I received a message saying that I'll not be able to use data roaming if I'm not on their partner's network.

Now I'm thinking of changing all my cards to networks other than their partners'. Do you think this is feasible?

Anyone knows? :)

i thought you dont like umobile?

malaysian cards are notorious for auto ppu data roaming and missing credits. at least in singapore, we can turn off mobile data and data roaming from telco end. in malaysia, they wont let you do that for an obvious reason :)

i was transiting in hk once, i turned on my smartphone with hotlink in it. while scanning for network, my credits were deducted. i figured that during scanning and handshake, some packets were exchanged and this was counted by maxis as valid data use even though mobile data was switched off.

if you change to non partner, you could be slapped with higher charges. but it might work for umobile prepaid. they have this daily data roaming flat charge for a number of countries which singapore is among them, and you are supposed to be locked out from non-preferred partners.

if i need to turn on my malaysian number for any reason, a safer way that i have been using is to put the card into an old school phone. but then again singapore is stopping 2g service soon! perhaps i would need to hook up to indonesian 2g :(

perhaps you should stick to xox :)

Last edited:

kitkat2

Reaction score
on umobile, if you have a newish phone, you can refrain from connecting to cellular network and use wifi calling instead.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, finally put away the U Mobile card 2 weeks back when the last of the RM5 reload voucher was used up. The only thing I like about it is the double validity - RM5 gave me 10 days. :s13:

Anyway, said charge was from Celcom, quite a while back had another one and that's from DiGi. I thought putting it to 2G is good enough, but with the message I got from the U Mobile card, the idea of changing to a different network struck me.

Oh well... I actually have a few cards in hand, including that OneXOX card. Sometimes lazy to use it since I've to subscribe to a data pack in order to draw from the Season Pass. Been using the Pokemon plan lately.

Maybe I should consider giving up my Celcom prepaids, an XPAX24 and a Magic SIM...

kitkat2

Reaction score
Anyway, said charge was from Celcom, quite a while back had another one and that's from DiGi. I thought putting it to 2G is good enough, but with the message I got from the U Mobile card, the idea of changing to a different network struck me.

many malaysians on celcom postpaid have been slapped with rm38 charge for wonderoam when their phones connect foreign network even though data roaming was never switched on on their phones. even celcom users who live in jb are not spared. i hope you didnt lose as much as rm38 :)

there are many more dirty tricks malaysian telcos employ to make your money disappear.

one of them is voicemail that is enabled by default by most, if not all telcos. if you use your malaysian number abroad, even briefly to check balance or receive sms, the telco will detect and remember your last location. after you switch off your phone and if you get an incoming call, be it spam or legitimate, it will go into voicemail and you will be charged airtime for incoming roaming call based on last detected country.

imagine a scenario like this. a malaysian on a tour to japan turn on his phone briefly to receive tac. upon his return home, he forgot to switch on his phone. his friends tried to call him frantically but got voicemail. the poor guy gets massive roaming charges for call rates to japan even he is back in malaysia :)

also, hotlink auto subscribes you to their caller ringtune which costs rm3 per month. so beware! :)

Last edited:

kitkat2

Reaction score
digi @ yong peng

the seller was busy sandpapering trimmed sim cards for singapore customers on iphones ;)

jFBLVuD.jpg

L1ZReXK.jpg

qDcWYzJ.jpg

what88

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
many malaysians on celcom postpaid have been slapped with rm38 charge for wonderoam when their phones connect foreign network even though data roaming was never switched on on their phones. even celcom users who live in jb are not spared. i hope you didnt lose as much as rm38 :)

there are many more dirty tricks malaysian telcos employ to make your money disappear.

one of them is voicemail that is enabled by default by most, if not all telcos. if you use your malaysian number abroad, even briefly to check balance or receive sms, the telco will detect and remember your last location. after you switch off your phone and if you get an incoming call, be it spam or legitimate, it will go into voicemail and you will be charged airtime for incoming roaming call based on last detected country.

imagine a scenario like this. a malaysian on a tour to japan turn on his phone briefly to receive tac. upon his return home, he forgot to switch on his phone. his friends tried to call him frantically but got voicemail. the poor guy gets massive roaming charges for call rates to japan even he is back in malaysia :)

also, hotlink auto subscribes you to their caller ringtune which costs rm3 per month. so beware! :)

So the best option will be Buy, Use and Throw (keep until it expire). :)

Oinkize

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To cut a long story short, I noticed a deduction on a card and was told it's for data roaming, though the option has never been put on in any of my phones. Their proof is that I was hooked on their roaming partner's network.

I recall that when I once set the network for a U Mobile card to Singtel/M1 instead of Starhub, I received a message saying that I'll not be able to use data roaming if I'm not on their partner's network.

Now I'm thinking of changing all my cards to networks other than their partners'. Do you think this is feasible?

Anyone knows? :)

I encountered this with hotlink.

Messaged them and amount was refunded after some dispute.

gasband

Reaction score
Hi all, any way to get a data sim card before going into Malaysia? I am going to Genting for a few days and I heard the only sim card available at Yong Peng is Digi? And that Digi reception not that good in Genting, is that true....

kitkat2

Reaction score
Hi all, any way to get a data sim card before going into Malaysia? I am going to Genting for a few days and I heard the only sim card available at Yong Peng is Digi? And that Digi reception not that good in Genting, is that true....

on the contrary, someone reported digi has good 4g coverage at genting.

yong peng is the most convenient place to get a sim card if your bus does stop there. if you need nano, the seller would trim and even sandpaper it for you for a perfect fit! :)

every new card gives you 1.3gb free data upon activation. 300mb from welcome gift, 1gb after you make the first app login.

Last edited:

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
.... i hope you didnt lose as much as rm38 :)

I lost RM50 to Celcom from that recent incident. I hate reading stupid excuses, so I decided not to bother going after them about it when they got back to me after I filed a case with their CSO. Consider it my bad luck with this telco. :( It's my 2nd case with them already, as my old XPAX24 had charges about me subscribing to stuff I never did, until I went to kopi with their Melaka office, twice.

I've encountered Hotlink CRT before, but that's on my tablet plan last year. Obviously stupid since this plan rightfully cannot call/SMS, what CRT would I need. They're nice and got back to me explaining how it happened (I forgot already), and made a refund.

It's for these funny charges we get, that made me want to keep the lines on while back in SG, coz I won't know if mysterious charges happen while the lines are off.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I've also been reading that DiGi has improved a lot on their 4G coverage too, and someone having good connection from it in Genting. Worth a try, I'd say, and by the way, the telco dealers there (I think there are still 2 around) are DiGi's.

Unless you need to surf from CIQ to Yong Peng (about an hour's coach ride), Yong Peng (that's the Happy Garden rest stop) is a good place to stop by. (Oh yes, I just spotted a DiGi dealer booth in Woodland's side of JB CIQ the other day, but not sure how the charges are like.)

If you really need a SIM card, OneXOX (riding on Celcom network) has a dealer here in our Travel Bazaar whom you can approach. Quite a number of us have got a card from him too.

But personally for Genting, I'd go for DiGi instead of Celcom.

Elnin0

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I lost RM50 to Celcom from that recent incident. I hate reading stupid excuses, so I decided not to bother going after them about it when they got back to me after I filed a case with their CSO. Consider it my bad luck with this telco. :( It's my 2nd case with them already, as my old XPAX24 had charges about me subscribing to stuff I never did, until I went to kopi with their Melaka office, twice.

I've encountered Hotlink CRT before, but that's on my tablet plan last year. Obviously stupid since this plan rightfully cannot call/SMS, what CRT would I need. They're nice and got back to me explaining how it happened (I forgot already), and made a refund.

It's for these funny charges we get, that made me want to keep the lines on while back in SG, coz I won't know if mysterious charges happen while the lines are off.

I experienced auto deduction on my prepaid card in digi. I've applied SLL with them and they did this to me.
For me is not really that much. Roughly 1 to Rm 2.

I just bought xox which you mentioned from dealer here. So far so good. Better don't top up too much. Later value gone.

BuGGi3

Master Member
Reaction score

Very true for voicemail. Disable voicemail the moment you start using your prepaid sim. Weird overseas no. left voicemail and the next moment, your card balance all kenna makan :s8:

edocmv

Reaction score
Anyone knows where to get e Hotlink topup cards/code @ Holiday Plaza/KSL.

Keen on those RM5 ones, as oni need RM3 for 1Gbyte per day for Hotlink

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows where to get e Hotlink topup cards/code @ Holiday Plaza/KSL.

Keen on those RM5 ones, as oni need RM3 for 1Gbyte per day for Hotlink

KSL same floor as Tesco Supermarket (LG) there's a Hotlink dealer shop. If they're out of RM5 reload voucher, top floor booth facing escalator nearest Taiwanese finger-food shop (fried chicken cutlet, etc) has e-reload (machine printout) vouchers.

Holiday Plaza basement of end nearest KSL, quite a few dealers, otherwise just walk further along. Have seen top-up cards being sold, but not sure if they've RM5 ones.

Last edited:

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
where can I buy prepaid card at city sq area ?

Depends what you want, telco prepaid dealers all over the place from JB CIQ all the way to City Square.

In JB CIQ (DiGi), just before and after JB Sentral (ground level) Hotlink, in JB Sentral DiGi, Hotlink, and I think U Mobile, in City Square all 4 main telco dealers, Komtar JBCC Hotlink and U Mobile, petrol kiosk (Caltex?) across the road U Mobile. More if you step out of City Square on the Jalan Wong Ah Fook side.

If not fussy, I'd just go for the suggested DiGi Best in JB Sentral. Or Hotlink in City Square if their system is up and price still the same RM10.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.