Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

||||||||||

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
on torguard now, definately faster than astrill.

my youtube can watch 4K videos without buffering that much.

last time on astrill will buffer like hell totally cannot watch.

oric1

Reaction score

I don't have any problem with Astrill, been with them for 4 years already and just renewed for another 2 years on Black Friday.

I've no buffering problem when streaming 4k videos from Youtube :D

ZenTape

Reaction score

Yea, i'm with Astrill for around 3 years too, never had any problems streaming 4k videos.

I've also heard quite abit about Torguard, maybe can give it a try when Astrill expires 2 years later.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Hi thanks

Can I check if you connect 2 or more devices to the same server do you need to use different encryption protocol for each or all can have the same protocol?

Where or how to see which server using what encryption protocol(s)?

Also, the nodes' speeds indicated on their website

https://vpn.ac/status

seems a bit low. Is it suitable for watching 4K videos from YouTube?

stiwipl

Reaction score
Hi thanks

Can I check if you connect 2 or more devices to the same server do you need to use different encryption protocol for each or all can have the same protocol?

Where or how to see which server using what encryption protocol(s)?

Also, the nodes' speeds indicated on their website

https://vpn.ac/status

seems a bit low. Is it suitable for watching 4K videos from YouTube?

I don't know what you mean by low. It just states their server load per country which as you can see is low meaning there is plenty of bandwidth left. You can connect with whatever encryption you want and you get 6 same time connections. Their SecureProxy feature is great, I use it more than their VPN to be honest. It is similar to Astrill's OpenWeb with this difference that it works via browser plugin and not standalone software.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

I don't know what you mean by low. It just states their server load per country which as you can see is low meaning there is plenty of bandwidth left. You can connect with whatever encryption you want and you get 6 same time connections. Their SecureProxy feature is great, I use it more than their VPN to be honest. It is similar to Astrill's OpenWeb with this difference that it works via browser plugin and not standalone software.

Thanks for clarifying the server load thing.

How about the other questions like

1) any way to select the encryption protocol like OpenVPN, L2TP etc and its bit-level (128/256) etc. StrongVPN, TorGuard, PIA etc have such a feature

2) can stream 4K movie on Youtube?

3) if connecting more devices to the same server need to have different protocol for each or all can have the same protocol?

Thanks

Last edited:

stiwipl

Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying the server load thing.

How about the other questions like

1) any way to select the encryption protocol like OpenVPN, L2TP etc and its bit-level (128/256) etc. StrongVPN, TorGuard, PIA etc have such a feature

2) can stream 4K movie on Youtube?

3) if connecting more devices to the same server need to have different protocol for each or all can have the same protocol?

Thanks

1. Yes, no problem with that, you can see them here.

2. Sure no problem, they servers are fast

3. You can have different or the same protocols, doesn't matter

Also all their servers (including SecureProxy) default to unblock US (Netflix, HBO Now) which is great. They have 7day trial for $2 here just in case.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Also all their servers (including SecureProxy) default to unblock US (Netflix, HBO Now) which is great. They have 7day trial for $2 here just in case.

Hi thanks of the replies.

FYI, I emailed them 2 days back and still got no reply. Even if they reply me tomorrow I still consider it as poor service.

I can say this company has poor support. Many VPN providers have very good product but screwed up customer support. Better not to purchase their product

I'm not continuing this thread as I have made up my mind not to use their service.

My next consideration is AirVPN. They have a forum.

Thank you for all your time

stiwipl

Reaction score
Hi thanks of the replies.

FYI, I emailed them 2 days back and still got no reply. Even if they reply me tomorrow I still consider it as poor service.

I can say this company has poor support. Many VPN providers have very good product but screwed up customer support. Better not to purchase their product

I'm not continuing this thread as I have made up my mind not to use their service.

My next consideration is AirVPN. They have a forum.

Thank you for all your time

As a customer, my emails from vpn.ac are being replied within an hour. I emailed them today and got a response 2 minutes later (via internal ticketing system from user panel).

AirVPN is slow in terms of their OS X app updates. I know this is a good VPN, I had approached and tried their service few times but I was never satisfied enough to subscribe.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

As a customer, my emails from vpn.ac are being replied within an hour. I emailed them today and got a response 2 minutes later (via internal ticketing system from user panel).

AirVPN is slow in terms of their OS X app updates. I know this is a good VPN, I had approached and tried their service few times but I was never satisfied enough to subscribe.

If they only reply to customers then they can WAIT for me to become one lor

As for AirVPN I'm using Windows not OS X so shouldn't be a concern here. What stopped you from being their customer? Is it because of lousy VPN performance like cut off now and then, slow speed etc. or poor customer service? Like to hear more from you leh.

Thanks

Last edited:

LonelyMan

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, some of these technical stuff are too chin for me to digest. Need your advices here.

1. MacBook as main computer and Windows machine for desktop
2. IPhone as main phone
3. M1 fibre and M1 mobile
4. Climb bukit timah hill for prawns, software, movies and some streaming (TVB drama)

Which is a good VPN for me to use while at home and outside?

Thanks in advance

stiwipl

Reaction score
If they only reply to customers then they can WAIT for me to become one lor

As for AirVPN I'm using Windows not OS X so shouldn't be a concern here. What stopped you from being their customer? Is it because of lousy VPN performance like cut off now and then, slow speed etc. or poor customer service? Like to hear more from you leh.

Thanks

I already wrote about them here 2 years ago and here 1 year ago. AirVPN OS X app is clunky. They gave up on unblocking US Netflix. I didn't find their features innovative. Perhaps they are good for users in China with their OpenVPN over SSH or SSL but in reality it comes no use for SG users and it does slowdown the connection. I don't say it is bad VPN, try them if you like - okay. For me number one is Astrill but if we are honest here it is one of the most expensive VPNs if you add some paid options, which comes standard at some VPNs. Are they worth it? Yes, their OS X app and features are second to none.

However if we are talking about $40-60 year VPN, then the there are a lot of shabby VPNs. I found VPN.ac features much more competitive than AirVPN's. VPN.ac will also have iOS app soon (Android is already there), they have SOCKS5 proxy and SecureProxy addons which are really great as they don't slowdown your connection. They are also using good data centers, in my opinion better than the AirVPN's.

mosprockett

Reaction score

bro can u advise what is the speed u get when doing fast.com with the VPN on?

I'm on HMA and can get abt 220mbps when on VPN vs 290 not on VPN. Quite fast for me...

stiwipl

Reaction score

I'm on HMA and can get abt 220mbps when on VPN vs 290 not on VPN. Quite fast for me...

I am not in SG anymore and I have 100Mbps connection now so my results won't be relevant. But I am getting 50Mbps. Does HMA work for US Netflix that you have mentioned fast.com ?

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

Are you using HMA router or just simply their desktop software to get that kind of speed?

According to the review below HMA, based in UK, has one of the worst privacy record in the world

https://www.bestvpn.com/hidemyass-review/

Isn't having a VPN is to protect our privacy and security?

Thanks

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.