The Last Guardian delayed again

rokugo

Reaction score
9 ******* years of development...and yet more delay.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016...id=775303613530841088&adbpl=tw&adbpr=10671602

One of the very FEW games that I preordered the Special Edition. I wish I can cancel but stupid me already paid full-price for it.

******* SONY.
They've really pissed me off lately. Increase in PS Plus pricing... PS4 Pro not supporting UHD Blu-ray...

This is what happens when any corporation becomes market leader, they revert to doing what they want and not what customer wants.
"For The Players" my foot lah.
/rant

MrMundy

Master Member
Reaction score
9 ******* years of development...and yet more delay.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016...id=775303613530841088&adbpl=tw&adbpr=10671602

One of the very FEW games that I preordered the Special Edition. I wish I can cancel but stupid me already paid full-price for it.

******* SONY.
They've really pissed me off lately. Increase in PS Plus pricing... PS4 Pro not supporting UHD Blu-ray...

This is what happens when any corporation becomes market leader, they revert to doing what they want and not what customer wants.
"For The Players" my foot lah.
/rant

:s13::s13::s13::s13:

hyperx_76

Reaction score
i am having a bad feeling that this is gonna end up being a trashy game. so far we did not really see much of the gameplay at all.

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Nobody's talking about this game? Think only hardcore fans will play this.

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
It unlocked last night at 12 for me, going to stop FF15 temporarily and play this first. So far reviews are good too (Playstation Lifestyle gave it a 10/10, though PSLS tends to give high scores).

galliano

Master Member
Reaction score
Waiting for Funzsquare to msg me. Website states they close at 8. Not sure if I can make it down by 8.

wadsad

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
iDSiK93.jpg

Ding ding

wadsad

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
played awhile.

biggest weakest of the game is the camera and graphics. starting sure headache until u get used to it. graphics (mainly background) can tell is really a game developed long ago. not the best looking, but good enough.

voice acting is superb. AI (beast) is clever. u can interact with it the way u should.

definitely not a flop.

Last edited:

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
What voice acting? It only has a narrator (made-up language) and the boy calling out to trico (only 3 variations, the most common one sounds like 'daniel' lol, and tru-ri-ku), no other voices. Basically it's just like Ico.

In fact it's very similar to Ico in the building architecture as well. The 'castle', or whatever it is, is so well designed with puzzles integrated into it. One problem with such games focusing on exploration is that I will be moving the camera looking high and low and everywhere (also searching for hidden food barrels to feed trico, basically just collectibles, he doesn't need feeding), can lead to motion sickness. I have the same problem with Tomb Raider series too.

The boy is no Lara Croft or Nathan Drake though (sometimes I do wish he can jump and climb like them). Good thing is he won't die when falling from high places (unless he falls from cliff into the oblivion), he will limp with one broken leg (try calling trico when the boy is hurt, his voice is lol) but just walk a few steps and he's fully healed (btw like Ico this game has no hp).

You need to work with trico to solve puzzles but it doesn't do what you want it to. It very much feels like a living breathing animal that exists in our real world. Trico's behavior, just like the architecture, is often a puzzle itself in certain places.

I wouldn't say the graphics is outdated, it's more an art style thing, with oversaturated color in bright daylight and dark areas. The motion/animation of the boy and trico really bring them to life. So no complaint on the technical side (didn't feel much presence of the sound/music though).

My only real complain is the button mapping. It uses triangle for climbing up, X for dropping down. I wish they allow swapping of buttons to the more common X to climb, O to drop.

So far I am enjoying it very much. It's been a long wait but the product is certainly worth it.

galliano

Master Member
Reaction score
My only real complain is the button mapping. It uses triangle for climbing up, X for dropping down. I wish they allow swapping of buttons to the more common X to climb, O to drop.

So far I am enjoying it very much. It's been a long wait but the product is certainly worth it.

Ditto. The button mapping is kinda bit odd (prob cos we r too used to FPS).
In any case, its a gem to play. The camera might need some work .. but then again ... it has not spoiled the fun and charm of the game.

Really very impressive. I last played ICO. Skipped Shadow of Colossus.

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
Completed the game. A great experience... until the ending part. I wish it ended when reaching the last tower and HEA. Have to add a couple of complaints:

For a game with heavy focus on platforming, the platforming controls could use some tightening. When the boy is standing still, you can't really inch him in any direction, he will look like he's moving a step then almost back to original spot. When the boy starts moving, he sprints, real fast. This make him hard to control, especially when standing on a tiny platform with no room for movement and doing a stationary jump to the next tiny platform.

Making things worse is the camera. It likes to auto adjust itself. Like you move the camera to more top-down in order to judge your jump, it will automatically move back. You shift it to line up your jump, it will shift, and you miss. It's no fun having to try and try a long segment again for such stupid mistake.

The camera isn't good in tight spaces, kinda understandable since trico is big and he gets into tight spaces a lot, and if you are climbing him, there's really no place to put the camera. I am ok with that (used to it already actually, from my days of playing Dragon's Dogma, great practice climbing huge dragons).

btw, after completing, only gotten 4 trophies, 3 for completing (completing, completing under 30 hr, under 15 hr). Along the way only gotten 1 trophy, so sad. There's a completing in 5 hr trophy too. Forget it liao. This game no manual save, no multiple saves slots, too many missables to bother.

Swordsman

Banned
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Completed the game. A great experience... until the ending part. I wish it ended when reaching the last tower and HEA. Have to add a couple of complaints:

For a game with heavy focus on platforming, the platforming controls could use some tightening. When the boy is standing still, you can't really inch him in any direction, he will look like he's moving a step then almost back to original spot. When the boy starts moving, he sprints, real fast. This make him hard to control, especially when standing on a tiny platform with no room for movement and doing a stationary jump to the next tiny platform.

Making things worse is the camera. It likes to auto adjust itself. Like you move the camera to more top-down in order to judge your jump, it will automatically move back. You shift it to line up your jump, it will shift, and you miss. It's no fun having to try and try a long segment again for such stupid mistake.

The camera isn't good in tight spaces, kinda understandable since trico is big and he gets into tight spaces a lot, and if you are climbing him, there's really no place to put the camera. I am ok with that (used to it already actually, from my days of playing Dragon's Dogma, great practice climbing huge dragons).

btw, after completing, only gotten 4 trophies, 3 for completing (completing, completing under 30 hr, under 15 hr). Along the way only gotten 1 trophy, so sad. There's a completing in 5 hr trophy too. Forget it liao. This game no manual save, no multiple saves slots, too many missables to bother.

what...no manual save.. that sucks.. especially for games that can't leave much error if want to get trophies.

so fast complete...

overall will you recommend people to buy at release or wait for super special offer ?

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
what...no manual save.. that sucks.. especially for games that can't leave much error if want to get trophies.

so fast complete...

overall will you recommend people to buy at release or wait for super special offer ?
Ya this game not very friendly for trophy hunting. No multiple save slots, no manual save, the auto-save is not obvious. After completing no chapter select also (there's no visible chapter in the game), 'continue' will start new game.

5 hr speed run can be frustrating cos often you know where you want trico to go and you know what command to give, he just wont go there, wasting lots of time. You will probably close app and relaunch a lot.

In theory you probably need 3 playthrus, the first one (optional) just play it without caring about trophies, don't read walkthru. Really this game deserves to be played like that to fully enjoy it. Then 1 run for all collectibles and miscellaneous trophies, and 1 more for speed run.

Trophy difficulty is probably going to be voted 2/10 (with walkthru) but its tedious.

As for whether to recommend, this type of game is not mainstream, it's puzzle platformer with lots of heart. If you like Ico, get it. Whether to get now or later kinda depends on how much you love Ico. There's no mp so no worry about other players being super high level. There are certainly spoilers, especially the ending, so you will want to avoid those. Otherwise can wait for sale if you are not eager to re-experience Ico.

The ending quite spoilt the game for me. It's not a sad ending that anyone can guess, like trico died or the boy died (you know he didn't die, right from the start an older man was narrating the story in first person) or "it's all a dream" kind of bs ending. I don't even understand anything that happens after entering the white tower and going up. That lowered my overall score of the game significantly, so if I were to give recommendation based on my review score, it will be a wait. Have to keep reminding myself of the great journey along the way. Again, all comes down to how much you love Ico and how eager to play. If you are a pet person and like cats, recommendation goes up a few knotches.

Last edited:

Swordsman

Banned
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Ya this game not very friendly for trophy hunting. No multiple save slots, no manual save, the auto-save is not obvious. After completing no chapter select also (there's no visible chapter in the game), 'continue' will start new game.

5 hr speed run can be frustrating cos often you know where you want trico to go and you know what command to give, he just wont go there, wasting lots of time. You will probably close app and relaunch a lot.

In theory you probably need 3 playthrus, the first one (optional) just play it without caring about trophies, don't read walkthru. Really this game deserves to be played like that to fully enjoy it. Then 1 run for all collectibles and miscellaneous trophies, and 1 more for speed run.

Trophy difficulty is probably going to be voted 2/10 (with walkthru) but its tedious.

As for whether to recommend, this type of game is not mainstream, it's puzzle platformer with lots of heart. If you like Ico, get it. Whether to get now or later kinda depends on how much you love Ico. There's no mp so no worry about other players being super high level. There are certainly spoilers, especially the ending, so you will want to avoid those. Otherwise can wait for sale if you are not eager to re-experience Ico.

The ending quite spoilt the game for me. It's not a sad ending that anyone can guess, like trico died or the boy died (you know he didn't die, right from the start an older man was narrating the story in first person) or "it's all a dream" kind of bs ending. I don't even understand anything that happens after entering the white tower and going up. That lowered my overall score of the game significantly, so if I were to give recommendation based on my review score, it will be a wait. Have to keep reminding myself of the great journey along the way. Again, all comes down to how much you love Ico and how eager to play. If you are a pet person and like cats, recommendation goes up a few knotches.

i will wait for offer then,

1 - super short game length

2 - no replay value or so it seems, this type of game unless u want to beat the timing or get plat, most probably won't touch it again.

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
btw, try not to watch any video review. not that they may contain spoilers, but really simple things like oh he can jump ah, can ride on his back ah, oh got a place/puzzle like that ah, can climb there ah... those sort of things are best discovered by yourself rather than seeing them flashed in innocently looking video. Even the very beginning of the game, you may spend quite a while figuring that out but it's perfectly ok, the discovery/growth process is very satisfying.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.