Data roaming and cellular data off, but still charged with data roaming

PC

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Every single time I went Malaysia, I'm being charged with data roaming. By default, data roaming is set to off. I've never ever set it to on since I used iphone few months back. I even switch off cellular data to be safe, but still I'm still charged with data roaming.

I double confirm, triple confirm both the settings are off and was very sure the signal bar does not show any internet connection and i cannot access any email/whatsapp/internet. However, my bill still states a minor usage every single day I'm in Malaysia. I'm 100% sure i did not accidentally switch it on and there's no 3G/4G or whatever internet icon showing on screen.

i approach M1 but got the typical answer of switching off data roaming which i already did. can anyone help me?

LonelyMan

Master Member
Reaction score
Same thing for me on M1, they say I did not turn off data access individually hahaha

Went to HK and China and got a bill shock with 1 megabyte data use each on China and HK.

In the end told M1 to disable data roaming at the backend....

maxheadroom

Reaction score
I don't have such an issue as I am a regular Asia traveler. There is an option m1 telco side disable the data roaming while you still able to receive SMS and mobile calls. I am on the Corp roaming services subscription.

Last edited:

Vladimir

Reaction score
same happened to me. M1 user too. went to malaysia and was charged data though i had disabled location and roaming. funny thing is i had called them last year to disable data roaming as i dont need it even when i go overseas coz i buy local data sim card. called up cso and they waived for me after they run a check on my conversation with the cso i spoke to last year. another tip the cso gave me is to switch to 3G only when overseas. i dont know if that works but i had told the cso to disable data roaming.. just to be safe.

vannie

Reaction score
It happened to me before also. I told them I only swap back the card back to M1 Sim before reaching Singapore. They said maybe some apps trying to connect to Internet which my Data Roaming Option already set to off.

Not sure whether users from other telcos having this issue or not. It seems that M1 users having this issue. Now I will only switch back to my local sim when I reach checkpoint.

BraveCloudy

Banned
Reaction score
few months back went to Malaysia, back then was using iPhone 6s Plus, I offed cellular and location, they never charge me

PC

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow! didn't expect other M1 users also experience this. now it gets me thinking how to get M1 to do something if other telco have no such problem.

can other users with similar problems post here as well? i find it ridiculous.

How much was the bill for?

if i remember per day range from $0.30 to $3+. On the month which I've high data roaming charges, I called in M1 and they waive for me saying it's once-off only.

idunknowlarh

Reaction score
I faced this issue earlier last month and called M1.
According to the operator, it's something to do with the iPhone 7 /Plus (not sure how accurate this really is).

For those who commented, are you guys using iPhone 7?

He suggested for me to turn off my roaming but I didn't as I do not want miss calls. Now I know you can turn off data specifically... I might consider.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think it is rubbish. iPhone 7 is sold to how many countries in the world. I remember one telco insist on charging me roaming until I show him my immigration record. When I am in woodlands, they charge me Malaysia roaming

ska13a

Reaction score
its due to m1 data on their system, called and ask before.
call them to block on their network level.

no such thing on other provider.

kiasc

Reaction score
I was billed $230 for Jan and almost $300 for Feb. This only started when I change my phone in late Dec 2016. As I work overseas in the United States, I am very careful about roaming data charges and always make sure to turn off mobile data on my phone. Did the same for my new phone but was shocked to receive the Bill. Seems like disabling mobile data did not work on my new phone which is a HuaWei Mate 9.

brad_goh

Reaction score
It happens to my wife iphone also. But lucky the provider verify that it is due to a "leak" in the phone as the data is to little when used. So I end up paying 30% and they take in the rest. I told them to disable the data roaming at their end for the phone also. So that it will not be activated in future.

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was billed $230 for Jan and almost $300 for Feb. This only started when I change my phone in late Dec 2016. As I work overseas in the United States, I am very careful about roaming data charges and always make sure to turn off mobile data on my phone. Did the same for my new phone but was shocked to receive the Bill. Seems like disabling mobile data did not work on my new phone which is a HuaWei Mate 9.

this is e iPhone sub forum...

paithorn

Reaction score
I'm using M1 and 7+ too. Was charged everywhere I went even with data roaming off on the phone. Called M1 and partial waiver. Re appealed. How can I be charged for things I do not use? 43 appeal success. All waived and I disable data roaming on M1. I believe the M1 app can enable and disable data 4oaming too

dexboi

Master Member
Reaction score
M1 has an app that you can easily check all your service subscriptions. Or logon to their website to check your services.

Disable those that you do not use! As simple as that. It boils down to user problem afterall. Something that lawyers can't defend you even if you insist you are not wrong.

If you genuinely don't need data roaming, then why activate the service in the first place? You say you didn't activate it? Then it is your responsibility to READ the contracts/T&Cs whenever you sign anything.

Telcos sometimes use the 'If' + 'Then' logic. i.e. 'If' you subscribe to Roaming, 'Then' Roaming Miss Call Alert will also be activated too.

Be a little more savvy yea! Take precautions. Know what you are signing up for.

Last edited:

qhong61

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
M1 has an app that you can easily check all your service subscriptions. Or logon to their website to check your services.

Disable those that you do not use! As simple as that. It boils down to user problem afterall. Something that lawyers can't defend you even if you insist you are not wrong.

If you genuinely don't need data roaming, then why activate the service in the first place? You say you didn't activate it? Then it is your responsibility to READ the contracts/T&Cs whenever you sign anything.

Telcos sometimes use the 'If' + 'Then' logic. i.e. 'If' you subscribe to Roaming, 'Then' Roaming Miss Call Alert will also be activated too.

Be a little more savvy yea! Take precautions. Know what you are signing up for.
Do we need to call M1 to deactivate data roaming?

ashhong

Reaction score
I faced this issue earlier last month and called M1.
According to the operator, it's something to do with the iPhone 7 /Plus (not sure how accurate this really is).

For those who commented, are you guys using iPhone 7?

He suggested for me to turn off my roaming but I didn't as I do not want miss calls. Now I know you can turn off data specifically... I might consider.

If the operator said it is an problem with iPhone 7 Plus, go and tell the operator to give you a written proof of it. then threaten the operator that you will forward the written proof to Apple and that you will sue Apple for that.

the thing is that it shouldn't be the phone problem otherwise there will be tons of complains especially for iPhone.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.