The Contact Lenses Thread

Miguelogy

Reaction score
Hi, had nv wear contacts b4,do all optical shops offer eye checks to make contact lenses? Or do i need to go the NPOC as people suggest here?

ftpofmpo

Banned
Reaction score
Just realised that for one or two monthly products sold here comes in more limited base curves compared to those sold in bigger markets

MuppeJack

Reaction score
Anybody here facing irritation wearing comfortable wearing contact lenses?

Wore contact lenses for a number of years, then stopped due to irritation and dryness. Switched to spec for 3 years, now it seems whenever I put on contact lenses I can feel slight irritation in my eyes.

ftpofmpo

Banned
Reaction score

Wore contact lenses for a number of years, then stopped due to irritation and dryness. Switched to spec for 3 years, now it seems whenever I put on contact lenses I can feel slight irritation in my eyes.

Have you gone for a proper contact lens fitting? You can try npoc or spoc in the new term. Total dailies may be a suitable choice

putrasocool

Reaction score
I just cant use normal coloured contacts... I tried to insert them for days... They keep popping out everytime i blink... I used a daily 13.8mm lense and its fine... Abit uncomfortable when compared to clear lens...

Why you need less than 14mm? You might need to custom make such lenses which are not monthly lenses

ftpofmpo

Banned
Reaction score
I just cant use normal coloured contacts... I tried to insert them for days... They keep popping out everytime i blink... I used a daily 13.8mm lense and its fine... Abit uncomfortable when compared to clear lens...

You should go for a proper lens fitting, it might be the base curve that's causing problems, you might have a flatter cornea.

Whether a lens fit is a combination of diameter, base curve, material, and the lens design

Wearing tight contact lens is unhealthy for your eyes, will cause problems in the long run. Go to an optometrist for proper lens fitting.

You can also go to npoc or spoc when their term starts

ftpofmpo

Banned
Reaction score

Do you have dry eyes? There are some new contact lens with newer materials such as total dailies. Go to an optometrist for a comprehensive contact lens assessment. Not all shops do that though

putrasocool

Reaction score
These test will be done for every first timers when visiting optometrist or do we need to request?

When my first time using... Opticians check my suitable power and eye health only...

You should go for a proper lens fitting, it might be the base curve that's causing problems, you might have a flatter cornea.

Whether a lens fit is a combination of diameter, base curve, material, and the lens design

Wearing tight contact lens is unhealthy for your eyes, will cause problems in the long run. Go to an optometrist for proper lens fitting.

You can also go to npoc or spoc when their term starts

ftpofmpo

Banned
Reaction score
These test will be done for every first timers when visiting optometrist or do we need to request?

When my first time using... Opticians check my suitable power and eye health only...

Contact lens fitting is done to find which lens are suitable for you. It is time consuming however, so it might cost more to do outside. For people with flat corneas, it is a problem if you don't go through fitting. Some shops might require you to ask, but it may cost extra. Otherwise go npoc or spoc during term time, it cost 5 bucks

ftpofmpo

Banned
Reaction score
Same situation as you but I found this shop called hirocon. Looks more professional than the typical optical shops. Maybe others have any comments?

Sent from Samsung SM-N920I using GAGT

Hirocon, Pearl's optics, Pearl's visioncare, npoc, spoc all provide proper fitting services. I believe some neighbourhood optometrists also do, just that they are less well known.

However, proper fitting takes up a significant part of their time and there will be associated charges. You can call to find out how much.

chaobotak

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to wearing contact lens for the first time. How much would it cost for eye exam and contact lens fitting? Thanks

ftpofmpo

Banned
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to wearing contact lens for the first time. How much would it cost for eye exam and contact lens fitting? Thanks

20-50 dollars. The comprehensiveness might differ. Some shops waive the cost if you buy a certain supply of lens from them

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.