Hello AMD RYZEN! 8 cores 16 threads is here.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There we go, that's the kind of reply I look for in a constructive discussion.

Also means the article website I read is probably bias against AMD.

xuan87

Reaction score
For me, it doesn't matter even if Zen is slightly slow than the Intel counterparts, so long as its priced much cheaper. I'm not aiming for TOTL anyway.

For example, if a Zen chip performs 20% slower than a Intel chip, but cost 50% less, then I confirm go for the Zen chip.

But of course, I'll wait for independent reviews first lah before deciding what to buy. My sandy bridge still serving me very well now.

enenyi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually wad I like about this new RYZEN and even AMD's Zen lineup is not their performance. To be honest, AMD is way too late into the game in terms of performance that even if it beats Intel hands-down, no one's gonna bat more than an eyelid now.

Wad I like instead is AMD (hopefully) making Zen compatible with future chip releases via the common AM4 platform. At least there wont be a problem of having to change motherboard and chip wholesale every 2 generations. Worse still, when the upcoming LGA-3467 Skylake-EP isn't gonna be socket compatible with the HEDT LGA-2066 Skylake-X or mainstream LGA-1151 Kaby Lake, so consumers cant change chips as and when they like.

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually wad I like about this new RYZEN and even AMD's Zen lineup is not their performance. To be honest, AMD is way too late into the game in terms of performance that even if it beats Intel hands-down, no one's gonna bat more than an eyelid now.

Top Intel exec expects "short-term disruption" from the Zen launch. Surely, branding halo, support and its strong footing in data center and enterprises will tide them for awhile but the "disruption" they're expecting are likely new shipments.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2016/12/05/intel-morgan-stanley-encouraged-by-renduchintalas-pragmatic-influence/

Otherwise, there are other various factors that led to the lack of awareness or brand equity on AMD side. Google for an Amd product you know, the first result is probably newegg, amazon or a reviewer site.

Google a product from their competition, ark.intel etc is the top result from proper search engine optimization and public data sheets are readily available.

Not expecting that they it becomes like the Athlon 64 times. But it is at least more optimistic and promising (both render and gaming test with titan XP) than their Vega demo.

Starwars battlefront in space is not something that challenging to render in 4k.
Sad to say, it is just low polygon count and a skybox and performance doesn't scale as well with shader count empirically except for rare cases like Vulkan Doom.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Despite I am the only few surviving AMD users.
I rather wait till the official release and see what experts
say about the new Zen.
These live test I remain a skeptic cuz it is very hard to believe
or tell which is faster.

However I will still waiting for Zen cuz pretty much of my Phenom rigs
is waiting for an upgrade. :D

Don't worry, I'm using AMD chips too.

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't worry, I'm using AMD chips too.

My wife's rig is AMD (used to be mine :() and I have a spare AMD board+CPU in storage. Probably quite a few AMD users around, just that with all the AMD haters around, many may not want to speak up.

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My wife's rig is AMD (used to be mine :() and I have a spare AMD board+CPU in storage. Probably quite a few AMD users around, just that with all the AMD haters around, many may not want to speak up.

Time for us to come out of the closet :s34:

halnala

Reaction score

Yep, AMD threads usually go up in flames.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

lol i also have a AMD full rig from phenon II x4 that time :D although mobo seems like breakdown if too intensive, but overall still ok.

LLCSG12

Reaction score
I fully agree !

Wad I like instead is AMD (hopefully) making Zen compatible with future chip releases via the common AM4 platform. At least there wont be a problem of having to change motherboard and chip wholesale every 2 generations. Worse still, when the upcoming LGA-3467 Skylake-EP isn't gonna be socket compatible with the HEDT LGA-2066 Skylake-X or mainstream LGA-1151 Kaby Lake, so consumers cant change chips as and when they like.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If we talk good about AMD, some may think we are fanboy.
Common perception of AMD are:

- Hot can cook a egg
I mean seriously even my notebook based on Richland APU
is quite cool and quiet.

- Slow and power anger
OK this, we can't defend since this is the true fact.
IPC wise Intel wins over AMD.
AMD FX TDP can go over 140TDP while Intel are much lower.

Basically these are the common preconception of AMD.
Just hope zen will change and also bury all these.
Still surviving AMD user are using desktop but using AMD notebooks
is close to none expect myself.

Yes I may expose myself if one day out in the wild you see
someone using a AMD A10 notebook. :s13:
AMD notebook wise to many, they are hot, battery cannot last
and etc.

So far had Phenom based notebook as well richland both are OK in my view but these notebooks cannot game.

concept_fuel

Reaction score
Definitely pump-up to go full-on AMD next year when ryzen launches followed by vega,
for an ultrawide high refresh rate freesync gaming.
Well you could get it with intel and nvidia which is what I'm using now but full-on AMD?
I get an erection just thinking about it.:s13:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
AMD made the most use of 28nm, and probably did more to optimise power consumption on 2Xnm process. Intel had the privilege of deep pockets and more advance process node, which is why their chips run cooler and more power efficient. With AMD catching up in this aspect, the field is now levelled for a showdown with Intel.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.