[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC5300

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can I ask how do I check my devices wifi class?

assuming you allocated the best settings for your router, then the speed limitation will be on your device.

depending on your device limitation, some may only connect to 2.4Ghz.

Assuming you are connected to 2.4Ghz on 40Mhz bandwidth, and is using the wireless N, then 1x1 is 72mbps, 2x2 is 144mbps.

Wireless ac is 1x1 433mbps, 2x2 866mbps, 3x3 1300mbps.

the above are PHY rates. so you check your own device and you will know..

thund3r

Reaction score
hi experts here. I needed help. I have been using this ac5300 for past 1 month, no issues.

Suddenly today upon reaching home, i cant connect to 2.4ghz. devices still can scan and detect 2.4ghz. but when try to connect, it cannot.

thund3r

Reaction score
i have tried reset, in fact multiple times.

tried to downgrade to previous firmware, also didn't work

dfran1

Reaction score
i have tried reset, in fact multiple times.

tried to downgrade to previous firmware, also didn't work

The router should have come with a disk, try the recovery disk program and your preferred firmware version, put the router in recovery mode to use it.
if that does not work then it seems like a bad router. (exchange it)
Cheers!!

masashi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone here has their preferred custom firmware advice? Thinking of going for Merlin just like my previous router. :o

leechoonhwee

Reaction score
Is it possible to flash a lower version of Merlin firmware on the GUI itself? I tried the restoration method but it doesnt work out too well.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi experts here. I needed help. I have been using this ac5300 for past 1 month, no issues.

Suddenly today upon reaching home, i cant connect to 2.4ghz. devices still can scan and detect 2.4ghz. but when try to connect, it cannot.

Try this reset method:

Holding down the WPS button, turn on power to the router and hold (WPS) for 30 more seconds until power blink

This should initiate the reset process.

Gloom me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Still very annoyed at the antennas. :mad:

Getting a little pissed with the antennas. Keep losing its 'grip'.

After tightening, just a small tough and the antenna drop to one side. :s22:

Anyone with the same problem and a solution?

Finally solve the 'loose' antenna issue. Use an O-ring at the 'joint' area. The rubber creates fiction so it won't loose grip easily.

Thanks to a post on SmallNetBuilder for the solution.

7kAvbd2.jpg

mwwk

Reaction score
Finally solve the 'loose' antenna issue. Use an O-ring at the 'joint' area. The rubber creates fiction so it won't loose grip easily.

Thanks to a post on SmallNetBuilder for the solution.

7kAvbd2.jpg

Where did you buy this ring from and can show a photo how you put in on the "joint"?

Gloom me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Where did you buy this ring from and can show a photo how you put in on the "joint"?

Bought from a shop in Pioneer which specialize in o-rings and seals. I brought one of the antenna down and they measure the O.D.

Take out the antenna, slip an o-ring onto the part where you screw the antenna in, just like wearing a condom.

Screw the antenna back in. Once it is tight, move the o-ring back to the router end.

If done correctly, the router will let out a Ahhhh... OoHhhh... sound, meaning it has climaxed.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hahas you're funny man..

But one thing to take note is that do not readjust the antenna once the ring is in place as it exerts counter force on the thread prematurely. You risk damaging the thread and the antenna as well..

One other way besides using this rubber ring is to apply a drop of thread locker of appropriate strength. Then you don't damage the thread and you can readjust as many times as you want though u need to reapply each time u turn it..

Bought from a shop in Pioneer which specialize in o-rings and seals. I brought one of the antenna down and they measure the O.D.

Take out the antenna, slip an o-ring onto the part where you screw the antenna in, just like wearing a condom.

Screw the antenna back in. Once it is tight, move the o-ring back to the router end.

If done correctly, the router will let out a Ahhhh... OoHhhh... sound, meaning it has climaxed.

Gloom me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hahas you're funny man..

But one thing to take note is that do not readjust the antenna once the ring is in place as it exerts counter force on the thread prematurely. You risk damaging the thread and the antenna as well..

One other way besides using this rubber ring is to apply a drop of thread locker of appropriate strength. Then you don't damage the thread and you can readjust as many times as you want though u need to reapply each time u turn it..

Noted.

What I did is I selected the size of the o-ring's I.D. not to be too tight. So now the antenna can still be unscrewed easily. Just that not a slight tough will make it loose kinda situation.

:)

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Asuswrt-Merlin 380.65 Beta is now available for download, for all supported models.

This version contains a lot of changes, with the biggest ones being the upgrade to OpenVPN 2.4, Busybox 1.25.1, and GPL 380_4180 merge.

Highlights:

Merged with GPL 380_4180. Note that the webui pages that were broken in 4180 (Network Tools, WOL, etc...) have been fixed.
Upgrade to OpenVPN 2.4.0, and implemented support for many of its new features, including: GCM ciphers, NCP, LZ4 compression, tls-crypt. Existing 2.3 clients can still connect, provided you don't enable any of the new 2.4 features. Please see the Asuswrt-Merlin changelog, as well as the OpenVPN 2.4 manual page for more info on these new features. Also, obsolete RC ciphers were removed from the server webui.
Upgrade to Busybox 1.25.1 ported to Asuswrt by TheMIROn. For most users this change is transparent, main benefit of this upgrade is making it easier to keep up-to-date with future security updates for Busybox (and probably a series of fixes between 1.20 and 1.25). A couple of new applets were also enabled, to assist script authors.
A new "update-notification" script has been added, which gets run whenever the scheduled new firmware check finds a new version. That script can be used to send you an Email, an SMS, flash your router LEDs, etc... Also, generate a system log entry when a new firmware is available.
Other updated components: Tor (0.2.9.8), nano (2.7.4).
Host file will give priority to the hostname you configure for your router, over the hardcoded router.asus.com (will show up when doing a traceroute or any other router IP resolution).
Fixed IPv6 request for some models (like the RT-AC88U) that were using a blank MAC when generating their DUID
Numerous fixes to the Network Service Firewall that failed to work under various scenarios
Additional fixes to OpenVPN (ovpn export, failure to clean up routes on restart)
RT-N66U, RT-AC66U and RT-AC5300 would reboot up to three times if one of their wifi interface was disabled
And quite a few more - make sure to read the complete Changelog

Things that need particular testing:

OpenVPN, both existing configurations and the new features. Make sure you understand how these work first - NCP for instance isn't always intuitive in its behaviour.
Existing scripts - make sure they still work fine with the Busybox upgrade
The RT-N66U, RT-AC66U, RT-AC56U and RT-AC3200 have to reuse some older closed source components due to incomplete/missing GPL release from Asus. Look for any unusual behaviour, especially regarding wifi.

Make sure you read the Changelog for more details.

Downloads are [URL="https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/changelog"]here[/URL].

Changelog is here.

RT-N66U, RT-AC66U and RT-AC5300 would reboot up to three times if one of their wifi interface was disabled

ASUS TW is aware of this issue and fixes are in progress.

Rest of the ASUS routers are not affected.

If one needs to disable any of the WiFi radios via the professional tab (2.4GHz/5GHz_1/5GHz_2), please update to the RMerlin 380.65 beta for the time being to avoid long boot times which looks like there isn't any Internet connectivity.

Last edited:

jeremy_cec

Reaction score
Not sure what happen to the router today.. Suddenly lost all wifi connections.. Have to power off and on to get WiFi back..

Void

Reaction score
Is your Ac5300 wireless stable? Mine is not that stable, when I use Airdroid to connect to mobile, sometimes it cannot connect. I have updated to firmware 3.0.0.4.380.7266 yesterday, which says fixes a lot of these issues, but I still got this problem today.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.