Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

terumo

Reaction score
If you can provide me the model of your outdoor unit, i will be able to determine if its a system 2 or 3 or 4.

Hi Dr Dachee

Wanna install extra aircon unit in my room

Current setup is 2 units at separate room connected to a single compressor.....

The compressor is in my room.... not sure abt the BTU or model of my compressor.... but if really need to, I can check so that more advice could be given....

Any contractor for recommendation to check the next step to install the extra unit and quote?

Pls pm me....

EviLAng3L

Reaction score
Hi all gurus,

i have more or less decided on Starmex, however i not too sure to go onto 5 ticks or 2 ticks series.
It will be a system 3 unit. 3*9kbtu fcu.
1 Bedroom probably will be on 8 hours daily. Other 2 probably 2 hours daily for the next few years as we are just a newly wed couple. only 2 of us staying.
I understand that, if i on 8 hours daily for all the 3 room, i probably should get the 5 ticks series, but looking at my usage will 2 ticks be better for me?

2 ticks series (Thailand) be more stable/lasting then compare to the 5 ticks (China)?

Thanks in advance!!

dachee

Reaction score
Hi all gurus,

i have more or less decided on Starmex, however i not too sure to go onto 5 ticks or 2 ticks series.
It will be a system 3 unit. 3*9kbtu fcu.
1 Bedroom probably will be on 8 hours daily. Other 2 probably 2 hours daily for the next few years as we are just a newly wed couple. only 2 of us staying.
I understand that, if i on 8 hours daily for all the 3 room, i probably should get the 5 ticks series, but looking at my usage will 2 ticks be better for me?

2 ticks series (Thailand) be more stable/lasting then compare to the 5 ticks (China)?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi,

In my opinion, you have the following options:
1. System 3 for all bedrooms
2. System 2 for one 8 hrs + one 2 hrs bedrooms and one single split for one 2 hrs to be installed at a later time when you really need it.
3. Single split for one 8 hrs + system 2 for two 2 hrs bedrooms to be installed at a later time when you really need it.

Note that options 2 and 3 would need you to have approval to install 2 power points.

Why option 2 and 3 may be better?
1. A 3-in-1 system would mean that warranty will start from day one, inclusive of your installation warranty which is likely to be one year only. As you seldom use the other 2 hrs rooms, you may not notice any installation defects within the short time of usage. Unlike the air conditioner product, installation quality has no QC and QA. You will need to be the QC and QA or it will be a hit and run issue.

2. A 3-in-1 system would mean that when one part fails, that is related to the 8 hrs room, you may have problem with the other rooms, making them non-usable.

3. As you seldom use the other 2 rooms, you can install an updated technology and model in future when you really need them for almost the same price.

4. Personally, I would prefer to have single split for each room if you can. But otherwise, the nearest will be combination of 2 condensers, giving options 2 and 3. This is because, StarMex single split MSY-GE10VA/MUY-GE10VA is 4 ticks, very close to the 5 ticks FJ series which is at the low side of 5 ticks in NEA COP (coefficient of Performance) rating. Meaning the FJ series is almost like a 4 ticks.

5. You may noticed that the size of the outdoor unit for single split, system 2 and 3 are of the same size. Meaning that the condenser coil in the single split is able to cool the gas faster and more efficient than system 2 as it support only one FCU. Similarly, system 2 will have better gas cooling than system 3. All this affects the performance and wear and tear (ie the life) of the compressors.

6. You may also noticed that the condenser capacity of 6 kW (in total) for each room (6/3 = 2) with system 3 does not equal to the each FCU (which is 2.5 kW). However system 2 is much closer with 4.8 kW (ie each room will get 4.8/2 = 2.4 kW) every close to the FCU 2.5 kW. This will then depends on how cold you set your temperature.

7. Having a 2 ticks system would mean that you will always be paying more for using the air conditioner. Looking at the energy label for a system 3, the 2 ticks will cost you $1060/year and the 5 ticks $620/year. This if I am not wrong this is based on a 30% usage. So a 5 ticks will save you $440/yr.

Whereas if you use a single split and a system 2 combination, your saving in comparison with the 2 ticks can be $1060/yr (2 ticks system 3) - {$274/yr (single split) + $489/yr (system 2) =$763} = $279/yr.

8. Most installation are now charged per FCU, so doing one room or two then one or one then two may not have much installation cost differences. Good to check with our seller.

9. However installing the systems at separate time may affect some addition conduit that would otherwise be grouped together into one where all to the piping and wiring meet.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful.

Last edited:

hikarirayzone

Reaction score
Hello,

Currently looking at the following, i am very new to this though.

1. Brand
- Panasonic
- Daikin
- Mitsubishi Electric
- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries

Capacity
- Please advise how to look into capacity? Do u mean the BTU or?
- How will the ticks affect? I went to take a look at Courts and found that the more ticks = more expensive

Please advise.

Thank you.

nobrain1

Reaction score
Hello,

1. Brand
- Panasonic
- Daikin
- Mitsubishi Electric

Capacity
- How will the ticks affect? I went to take a look at Courts and found that the more ticks = more expensive

Please advise.

Thank you.

Go for only these 3.

Brand
- Panasonic
- Daikin
- Mitsubishi Electric

I personally like Panasonic as i have owned 3 sets before and it's cheap, but the newer models now have the ion cleaning function which like takes up elec. i use sys 4 only on mbr every evening and my elec bill is about 100+/mth.

daikin i dun like the blade lourve. my office use daikin and the blade lourve like cannot set no matter how we adjust, in the end use hand to push.

nvr tried ME before, but from frens they say quite good.

stay clear of MHE. Good is very good, if u got a lemon set prepare for alot of problems.

Capacity is layman terms = BTU of your fancoil and compressor how much they can support.
Bedroom use 8k BTU enuff
LR use 18k BTU or 21k BTU mix and match, the a/c guy will advise you.

Piping do the normal width, people will tell u thicker piping/insulation less condensation blah blah, but normal piping/insulation is enuff unless it runs through wardrobes/cupboards which is seldom a choice, then u upgrade piping. Yr trunking will be bigger if you upgrade the piping so looks less nicer.

Ticks = energy savings. lesser tick = more energy saving = less cold, but usually if u dun switch on everything 24hrs, 2ticks is enuff. pple usually goes for 2 ticks, cos the savings is not very apparent and the 1 time upfront price already makan your savings gao gao and 10 yrs down the road time to change yr a/c liao, so got savings = no savings.

Last edited:

MicceL

Reaction score
i am also looking at Starmex 2 ticks system 3 aircon for my 4 rm hdb flat. Notice that 5 ticks aircon is more expensive.

need advise on a requirement quote to me.

1 x 13k BTU for master bedroom
2 x 10k BTU for the other 2 rooms

16mm drainage pipe
swg22 copper pipe
1/2 inch Armaflex class 1 insulation

Is 13k and 10k BTU necessary for my rooms? i see some only quote 9k BTU.

dachee

Reaction score
Hello,

1. Brand
- Panasonic
- Daikin
- Mitsubishi Electric

Capacity

Please advise.

Thank you.

Hi,

1. In most air conditioner companies websites, Panasonic, Daikin and Mitsubishi ELECTRIC are the top 3 recommended brands.

You may wish to visit their respective facebook to view customers' comments as well as responds from the company at:

https://www.facebook.com/sgpanasonic/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mitsubishi-Electric-Asia-Pte-Ltd/376016349131247

https://www.facebook.com/daikinsg/

2. When we refer to capacity, we are talking about the maximum heat capacity that the air conditioner is able to remove from the room. This does not only include the heat in the air but also heat from other items in the room. Heat from these items can either be diminishing or continuing. Ie as heat is removed from the item, the item becomes cooler whereas some items may be heat generating item such as computer, stove, TV, windows during the day, sun facing wall, people in the room, etc. Another item that affects the energy to remove heat is moisture/water. This item uses heat to change its physical phase from liquid to gas without changes to the temperature, and is called latent heat. So having water in your room will also affect the energy consumption.

Heat from these items need to be removed in order for the room to cool down. The unit of heat is Btu (British Thermal Unit) which is a heat unit for energy. Energy can also be in other unit such as Joules, kilowatt or Horsepower. For air conditioning the heat energy is made with reference to time. Ie. how much Btu/hr can be removed from the room.

3. More information on the energy label ticks is available at:

http://www.nea.gov.sg/energy-waste/energy-efficiency/household-sector/the-energy-label

It refers to the COP (coefficient of performance) of the air conditioner which calculates the input energy vs the heat energy that is removed from the room.

Last edited:

dachee

Reaction score
i am also looking at Starmex 2 ticks system 3 aircon for my 4 rm hdb flat. Notice that 5 ticks aircon is more expensive.

need advise on a requirement quote to me.

1 x 13k BTU for master bedroom
2 x 10k BTU for the other 2 rooms

16mm drainage pipe
swg22 copper pipe
1/2 inch Armaflex class 1 insulation

Is 13k and 10k BTU necessary for my rooms? i see some only quote 9k BTU.

Hi, what is the size of your master bedroom in m3?

terumo

Reaction score
When they mentioned 10k btu, its actually referring to 9k btu.
Based on the dimensions, 9k btu is sufficient for the master room which i assume the other 2 bedrooms will also be sufficient.

from the floor plan, it is roughly 4220mm x 3300mm

Futureskid

Reaction score
Hi guys, need some help on aircon system selection.
I asked for advice from 2 contractors on what kind of system best suits my needs. I need 4 indoor units for a 4 room flat, 3 bedrooms and 1 living room. My consumption likely 8hr for master bedroom and 1 other room for few hrs. The other room and living room is for occasional usage. I asked for which system type is more suitable for me:

1st contractor: use system 4 Mitsubishi electric as is more durable based on his experience, since my usage is low, if i choose system 2+2 or 3+1, the aircons may spoilt more easily under low usage as machines are designed to run for it's specification, furthermore nowadays machines don't last like last time.

2nd contractor: use system 3+1 or 2+2 daikin as daikin has less problems. If i would to use system 4, there will be more wear and tear and there wont be any backup if any compressor spoilt. He suggests system 3 for bedrooms and system 1 for living room, or system 2 for both rooms which i use more often, the other system 2 for living room and less usage room.

Both sound logical to me and i do not know who to listen. My objective is to have as lasting as possible aircons, minimum issues and lower cost in long run.

dachee

Reaction score
Hi guys, need some help on aircon system selection.
I asked for advice from 2 contractors on what kind of system best suits my needs. I need 4 indoor units for a 4 room flat, 3 bedrooms and 1 living room. My consumption likely 8hr for master bedroom and 1 other room for few hrs. The other room and living room is for occasional usage. I asked for which system type is more suitable for me:

1st contractor: use system 4 Mitsubishi electric as is more durable based on his experience, since my usage is low, if i choose system 2+2 or 3+1, the aircons may spoilt more easily under low usage as machines are designed to run for it's specification, furthermore nowadays machines don't last like last time.

2nd contractor: use system 3+1 or 2+2 daikin as daikin has less problems. If i would to use system 4, there will be more wear and tear and there wont be any backup if any compressor spoilt. He suggests system 3 for bedrooms and system 1 for living room, or system 2 for both rooms which i use more often, the other system 2 for living room and less usage room.

Both sound logical to me and i do not know who to listen. My objective is to have as lasting as possible aircons, minimum issues and lower cost in long run.

Hi,

Contractor 1 has no basis in this comment. No meaning in his reasoning.

Contractor 2 gives a more logical answer. But no backup for damaged compressor is not logical. Most companies have 5 yrs warranty for compressor.

Depending on the living room size. If all room use the same capacity, say 9K Btu, than 2 (for more often used rooms) + 2 (for less often used rooms) is a nice combination. But if the less often used rooms are really less often used, then, why install air conditioners. By the time, you get to fully use these air conditioner to test its fault or installation fault, your warranty of one year would have passed.

Would it be better to install only a system 2 for the often used rooms first at this time, and when it is really necessary to install another condenser? You can decide whether you want only for the bedroom (ie just a single split) or both bedroom and living room (system 2).

However, you need to be aware that doing this way may mean that you may end up with additional conduit for the pipes at places nearer to the condensers in future, one for the first system installed now, and another for the system installed in future.

Last edited:

MicceL

Reaction score
I Read from renotalk forum that aircon on standby will draw power and cause electrical bill to go up? anyone know if it will significantly cause electric bill to go up?

example, i am installing starmex system 3 (2 ticks) and normally only use 1 unit in master bedroom for less than 8hrs per day.

Last edited:

dachee

Reaction score
from the floor plan, it is roughly 4220mm x 3300mm

Hi,

Theoretically, assuming the height of the ceiling to be 2.5m, you would need less than 5k Btu, however, most available air conditioner in the market is now with minimum capacity of 9k Btu. So no much choice.

Yes, initial cost of air conditioner is not cheap. In addition, air conditioner is one of the highest consumption of electricity in a house. It is therefore important to decide before you install any air conditioner as to how much you are willing to pay to have the cooling in your house.

Singapore weather does not have very high temperature swing and is within a comfortable range in the house.

Having an air conditioner that you hardly use will be like an white elephant. Because air conditioner consume relatively high electricity, it should only be use when needed. Of course, there are people who have extra money to just use it without the need to consider this. Having a 2 ticks or a 5 ticks will affect the cost of running it. It is likely that a 5 ticks will have sufficient saving to off-set the initial cost different of a 2 ticks.

For example for StarMEX, a 5 ticks system 3 has an annual energy cost of $620 (from NEA energy label) and 2 ticks has $1060 for the same capacity.

These are based on 27 cents per kWh electricity cost, 8 hours daily usage and 16 hours standby energy consumption

The 5 ticks StarMEX cost about $3461 and that of 2 ticks is $2834. Giving a difference of ($3461-2834) = $627. However the electricity saving between the 5 and 2 ticks is $1060-620 = $440

Meaning in 620/440 = 1.4 years time, the running cost saving of the 5 ticks has recovered the initial cost saving of the 2 ticks. And every year of using the 2 ticks would mean that you are paying $620-$440 = $180 more electricity than you should.

However, it is becoming a trend now to install air conditioners in new houses. Specially the living room. May people with air conditioner in their living room do not use it most of the time.

So think carefully as to whether you need it or not. If you can have more than one power point than you may wish to delay installing an air conditioner in your living room. Or maybe just install in one room first. Have a feel of using it and decide later if you need another one elsewhere.

The above are my opinion, hope that they are helpful.

dachee

Reaction score
I Read from renotalk forum that aircon on standby will draw power and cause electrical bill to go up? anyone know if it will significantly cause electric bill to go up?

example, i am installing starmex system 3 (2 ticks) and normally only use 1 unit in master bedroom for less than 8hrs per day.

Yes, air conditioner on standby consume electricity.

Baggio10

Reaction score
am i right that if your house has an old aircon system and I wish to upgrade. price will be more expensive than the prices on display?

is panasonic system 3 any good?

NeonX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hey guys, am looking to get a daikin system 2 + system 3 for my new place soon (5 rm hdb)

Am wondering what are some stuff that i would have to look out for? Like piping get what kind? How thick etc? Anyone can help me? Best if have recommendation, else i would probably go with pro shop

icetrap

Reaction score
System 5

Anyone on System 5? I cannot get a 2 aircons as my house has not been upgraded , only 32A and do not have an air-con ledge.

Futureskid

Reaction score
Hi,

Contractor 1 has no basis in this comment. No meaning in his reasoning.

Contractor 2 gives a more logical answer. But no backup for damaged compressor is not logical. Most companies have 5 yrs warranty for compressor.

Depending on the living room size. If all room use the same capacity, say 9K Btu, than 2 (for more often used rooms) + 2 (for less often used rooms) is a nice combination. But if the less often used rooms are really less often used, then, why install air conditioners. By the time, you get to fully use these air conditioner to test its fault or installation fault, your warranty of one year would have passed.

Would it be better to install only a system 2 for the often used rooms first at this time, and when it is really necessary to install another condenser? You can decide whether you want only for the bedroom (ie just a single split) or both bedroom and living room (system 2).

However, you need to be aware that doing this way may mean that you may end up with additional conduit for the pipes at places nearer to the condensers in future, one for the first system installed now, and another for the system installed in future.

Thanks!

I want to install 4 units at one go to save the trouble of of installing again in future.

Based on my consumption, which i think is low, what system should i go for? A system 4 or system 2+2 or 3+1?

And y do u suggest system2 (for more often used rooms) + 2 (for less often used rooms) is a better combination than system 2 (one high and low room) + 2 (one high one low room)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.