learning japanese

biggirl20

Master Member
Reaction score
interested to take up courses at bunka (becoz of skillsfuture credit) to push myself for N3 but intermediate 3 and 4 i know a bit here and there, so i guess i have no choice but to go for intermediate 3 first.. :(

is bunka's teacher nice? i hope it will be a pleasant learning experience.

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
interested to take up courses at bunka (becoz of skillsfuture credit) to push myself for N3 but intermediate 3 and 4 i know a bit here and there, so i guess i have no choice but to go for intermediate 3 first.. :(

is bunka's teacher nice? i hope it will be a pleasant learning experience.
N4の資格を持っていますか。

文化はIntermediateの後、会話中心になります。N3の文法はあまり教えないです。毎週ー毎月N3の文法を2つ/3つだけ勉強します。JCSに参加したほうがいいでしょう。

thwysg

Reaction score
Found this while researching on Ikoma and Bunka.

I'm thinking of going back to my basics, almost 20 years ago since I learnt Japanese, think mostly returned to my teachers. Didn't take certifications except JLPT4 (almost 15 years ago) which I took it after a few years later and was no longer in JCS then.

From what I've read here (I didn't read all 600+ pages), seems that Ikoma/ Bunka/ Hougang would be a good place to go. But which one?
Does doing intensive courses help?

My main intention is still to pass JLPT (at least N3? Not too sure of the levels now) and read Japanese books (mainly on crafting, recipe and travel books - mostly are easy to understand).

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Found this while researching on Ikoma and Bunka.

I'm thinking of going back to my basics, almost 20 years ago since I learnt Japanese, think mostly returned to my teachers. Didn't take certifications except JLPT4 (almost 15 years ago) which I took it after a few years later and was no longer in JCS then.

From what I've read here (I didn't read all 600+ pages), seems that Ikoma/ Bunka/ Hougang would be a good place to go. But which one?
Does doing intensive courses help?

My main intention is still to pass JLPT (at least N3? Not too sure of the levels now) and read Japanese books (mainly on crafting, recipe and travel books - mostly are easy to understand).

JLPT4 is now the equivalent of N5 in today's standing. N3 is in a mid position of covering syllabus between JLPT3 and partially JLPT2.

You may want to take placement interviews with your knowledge of Japanese language with all the schools you have shortlisted (Ikoma / Bunka / Hougang / etc) and consider the delivery of the schools to your liking.

In my opinion, if your main intention is to pass N3 and read Japanese books. I would recommend Ikoma.

Enjoy the shopping! :D

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
try not to do intensive course if you are working.
for a gauge, every 2 hour class requires about 3-4 hours of revision time.

N3 has 3500 words, 150-160 pieces of grammar structures and 650 Kanji.
N2 has 6000 words, 150-200 pieces of grammar structures and 1000 Kanji (650 from N3).

Also, ask yourself, why you wanna pass JLPT N3?
Do you need it for work? I recommend you to read the following post..

To me, it seems that you are not sure why you wanna pass JLPT. Pass JLPT doesn`t mean can read Japanese books. =)

Also, do a check yourself to see if you understand the following sentences.
==========================
Beginner:
-Have studied Japanese for at least 6-12 months in a school/self-study
-Knows Hiragana and a bit of Katakana
-Obtained JLPT N5 certificate
-Knows the meaning to 2 of the following sentences:

1. わたしは にほん へ いきます。
2. いま、なんじ ですか。
3. ごはんをたべてから、ビールをのみに いきましょう
4. これは ミラーさんが つくったケーキです。
5. せんせいは きょうしつ に いますか。

Intermediate:
-Have studied Japanese for at least 13-24 months in a school/self-study
-Knows Hiragana and Katakana
-Obtained JLPT N4 certificate
-Knows the meaning to 3 of the following sentences:

1. せんせいは じむしょに いらっしゃいます
2. ぼくは マレーシアへ いくつもりです
3. 日本語が話せるように、毎日れんしゅう しています
4. せんせいは わたしに プレゼントをかってくださいました
5. わたしは えびが たべられません
6. カレンダーに 今月の予定が かいてあります

Pre-Advanced:
-Have studied Japanese for at least 25-36 months in a school/self-study
-Knows Hiragana, Katakana and 350 Kanji
-Obtained JLPT N3 certificate

1. わたしにとって、かぞくは一番たいせつです。
2. 先生にたいして、失礼なことばを使わないでください。
3. あたたかいうちに、たべてください。
4. お金されあれば、なんでもできる。

Advanced:
-Have studied Japanese for at least 37-60 months in a school/self-study
-Knows Hiragana, Katakana and 1000-2000 Kanji
-Obtained JLPT N1/N2 certificate

1. この賞をいただき、光栄のいたりでございます。
2. ここは入るべからず。
3. これは子供への愛ではなくなんだろうか。
4. 彼は貯金どころか、しゃきんいっぱいだ。
5. 勉強したあげくに卒業しました。
6. 驚きのあまり、声もでなかった。

Last edited:

thwysg

Reaction score
try not to do intensive course if you are working.
for a gauge, every 2 hour class requires about 3-4 hours of revision time.

N3 has 3500 words, 150-160 pieces of grammar structures and 650 Kanji.
N2 has 6000 words, 150-200 pieces of grammar structures and 1000 Kanji (650 from N3).

Also, ask yourself, why you wanna pass JLPT N3?
Do you need it for work? I recommend you to read the following post..

To me, it seems that you are not sure why you wanna pass JLPT. Pass JLPT doesn`t mean can read Japanese books. =)

Also, do a check yourself to see if you understand the following sentences.
==========================
Beginner:
-Have studied Japanese for at least 6-12 months in a school/self-study
-Knows Hiragana and a bit of Katakana
-Obtained JLPT N5 certificate
-Knows the meaning to 2 of the following sentences:

1. わたしは にほん へ いきます。
2. いま、なんじ ですか。
3. ごはんをたべてから、ビールをのみに いきましょう
4. これは ミラーさんが つくったケーキです。
5. せんせいは きょうしつ に いますか。

Intermediate:
-Have studied Japanese for at least 13-24 months in a school/self-study
-Knows Hiragana and Katakana
-Obtained JLPT N4 certificate

1. せんせいは じむしょに いらっしゃいます
2. ぼくは マレーシアへ いくつもりです
3. 日本語が話せるように、毎日れんしゅう しています
4. せんせいは わたしに プレゼントをかってくださいました
5. わたしは えびが たべられません
6. カレンダーに 今月の予定が かいてあります

Pre-Advanced:
-Have studied Japanese for at least 25-36 months in a school/self-study
-Knows Hiragana, Katakana and 350 Kanji
-Obtained JLPT N3 certificate

1. わたしにとって、かぞくは一番たいせつです。
2. 先生にたいして、失礼なことばを使わないでください。
3. あたたかいうちに、たべてください。
4. お金されあれば、なんでもできる。

Advanced:
-Have studied Japanese for at least 37-60 months in a school/self-study
-Knows Hiragana, Katakana and 1000-2000 Kanji
-Obtained JLPT N1/N2 certificate

1. この賞をいただき、光栄のいたりでございます。
2. ここは入るべからず。
3. これは子供への愛ではなくなんだろうか。
4. 彼は貯金どころか、しゃきんいっぱいだ。
5. 勉強したあげくに卒業しました。
6. 驚きのあまり、声もでなかった。

It's not for work. Always more for the interest. Not working for the time being - that's why I'm considering doing intensive lessons. And I totally agree on having a good foundation. It makes a difference.

Need to brush up on my grammar and sentence structures. I'm alright with kanji. Weak in conversation (poor listening skills). Or perhaps I shouldn't do JLPT then (my other half would prefer me doing it), after all it's for my own self-enrichment.

Paiseh, I could only understand part of your sentences under Pre-Advanced - e.g. 家族は一番大切です。

For Advanced - 負けた。ぜんぜん分らない。:D

Indeed so, I have been reading Japanese cooking and travel magazines on and off. Minus the history of locations and figures, I could still manage with the rest on locations and access and food menus. As my mum puts it, I'm just equipped with three-legged cat kungfu or half bucket water. :s13:

Lyrad27

Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

Need some advice here. I have studied in Bunka Language School before until that Intermediate 4 level, and have attempted N4 sometime in 2013 but my results aren't that good. Have stopped my Japanese studies for a few years due to my other academic commitments and some financial restraints back then.

Am currently interested in continuing my Japanese studies but I have forgotten quite a lot :/ Intending to do some self revision with my old notes first. Is it advisable to continue learning Japanese through self-studying or to join a school to continue with pre-advanced level (after I finish revising all the stuff I have learnt in Bunka)?

I have been considering Ikoma or Tomo but the thought of going back to a school alone is kind of daunting especially after not touching Japanese for a few years.

Any advice here is greatly appreciated! :)

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Need some advice here. I have studied in Bunka Language School before until that Intermediate 4 level, and have attempted N4 sometime in 2013 but my results aren't that good. Have stopped my Japanese studies for a few years due to my other academic commitments and some financial restraints back then.

Am currently interested in continuing my Japanese studies but I have forgotten quite a lot :/ Intending to do some self revision with my old notes first. Is it advisable to continue learning Japanese through self-studying or to join a school to continue with pre-advanced level (after I finish revising all the stuff I have learnt in Bunka)?

I have been considering Ikoma or Tomo but the thought of going back to a school alone is kind of daunting especially after not touching Japanese for a few years.

Firstly, i think its impt to revise what you have learnt for a while first before proceeding to continue your studies.

Also, ask yourself, why you want to continue studying Japanese. What is the final goal in your mind?

You can take a look at the previous post of what i have posted to see how much you understand.

I dont have good things to say about Tomo, so i rather you go to Ikoma instead.

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Just my 2 cents.
Have you reflected why your N4 results is not good? Due to busy schedules resulting in lack of time for studies?

I would recommend spending some time in your revision of your old notes before doing a placement interviews with your revised knowledge of Japanese language of the schools you have shortlisted (Ikoma / Bunka / Tomo) and consider the delivery of the schools to your liking.

I believe the placement tests at Ikoma will put you in a appropriate setting and wont make you feel daunting.

Practice makes perfect! :D
Good luck.

Lyrad27

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents.
Have you reflected why your N4 results is not good? Due to busy schedules resulting in lack of time for studies?

I would recommend spending some time in your revision of your old notes before doing a placement interviews with your revised knowledge of Japanese language of the schools you have shortlisted (Ikoma / Bunka / Tomo) and consider the delivery of the schools to your liking.

I believe the placement tests at Ikoma will put you in a appropriate setting and wont make you feel daunting.

Practice makes perfect! :D
Good luck.

Yea I definitely have to do some self-revision first. Will work hard since I have decided to continue my Japanese studies. Thanks for your advice too! :)

tadaki

Reaction score
It's not for work. Always more for the interest. Not working for the time being - that's why I'm considering doing intensive lessons. And I totally agree on having a good foundation. It makes a difference.

Need to brush up on my grammar and sentence structures. I'm alright with kanji. Weak in conversation (poor listening skills). Or perhaps I shouldn't do JLPT then (my other half would prefer me doing it), after all it's for my own self-enrichment.

Paiseh, I could only understand part of your sentences under Pre-Advanced - e.g. 家族は一番大切です。

For Advanced - 負けた。ぜんぜん分らない。:D

Indeed so, I have been reading Japanese cooking and travel magazines on and off. Minus the history of locations and figures, I could still manage with the rest on locations and access and food menus. As my mum puts it, I'm just equipped with three-legged cat kungfu or half bucket water. :s13:

I took the JLPT purely for self-enrichment too. didn't require it for work or for school or even socially. I just wanted to have that feeling of achievement hahaha

I went for Ikoma's prep course for both N2 and N1. For the other grades, I think it's possible to self study them, but I never took those exams because I felt it was a waste of money.

If you purely want to pass the JLPT, i think Ikoma's prep courses are very good. They give you these incredible notes and the mock tests are similar so you really get the practice and info needed. But on the flip side you hardly talk in there beyond the initial introduction in the first lesson, so if you were looking more to be able to talk, then you might want to consider their other courses.

Good luck for the JLPT! It made me quite happy when I passed it and received the cert, so even if it's not for any official purpose, if you want to do it, I encourage you to attempt it!! :))

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I went for Ikoma's prep course for both N2 and N1. For the other grades, I think it's possible to self study them, but I never took those exams because I felt it was a waste of money.

Kindly allow me to add something that a lot of Japanese learners don`t know, not even most teachers in the schools. I got to know this as i have been doing research on the new JLPT since 2010, take exams with my students (毎年生徒とSMUを"散歩"しましょう. (笑) )and also attend teacher conferences with teachers from other countries.

Every level of JLPT tests you on different areas of the language.

N5: Ability to use correct particles in sentences, basic vocabulary, basic usage of forms, usage of time, date, usage of adverbs, Japanese greetings

N4: Ability to identify usage of transitive/intransitive verbs, potential/passive/volitional forms sentence structures, usage of similar vocabulary (e.g ごはんをたべる vs 食事), basic usage of Keigo (not in recent years), usage of time, date, usage of adverbs

N3: Intermediate level vocabulary, Ability to read composition on people, simple official notices, Keigo, causative passive form, ~そうです, conversational sentences

N2: Understanding of N3, N4 and N5 grammar, Ability to read newspaper articles, official notices, understand simple business conversations, usage of Keigo, causative passive form
usage of particles in sentences.

N1: Understanding of N1-N5 grammar. Ability to read abstract articles, newspaper articles, understand complex business conversations, advanced Keigo, usage of particles in difficult sentences.

Depending which year you took JLPT, you might have missed out the important stuff that you need to know.

We also see a trend that N1 vocabulary is tested in N3 (Dec 2016), N4,N5 stuff tested in N1 (Dec 2016)

So students who are taking N1 or N2, please, please make sure that you revise your foundation stuff.

Below is 1 similar question that was tested in N1 this year.

k53bzq.png

My students in my N4 class were able to understand this question after i gave them the meaning of ことに. In this N1 question, a combination of the following grammar were tested. JLPT試験官のみなさん、賢いですね。

N2
ことに

N3
連用中止形

N4
~そうです
~ような
名詞化
Usage of と
Causative form
Focus particle

N5
Particles knowledge (に)

Based on the answer that you select, JLPT board is clever enough to know what was the order you put. (How すごい is that). I don`t want to go into details of how the new JLPT works, to protect its current system, but the new system is way better than the old system... For JLPT learners, it`s very important to get your foundations right.

Last edited:

avalanste

Banned
Reaction score
には***があって***ような***ことに**するそうだ。
I initially hesitated when I saw あり。
But I still don't know what asebi is actually.

*Edited*
Okay, found the name of the plant already..

Last edited:

biggirl20

Master Member
Reaction score
N4の資格を持っていますか。

文化はIntermediateの後、会話中心になります。N3の文法はあまり教えないです。毎週ー毎月N3の文法を2つ/3つだけ勉強します。JCSに参加したほうがいいでしょう。

Thanks for the reply!

I did not obtain any jlpt qualification as i studied majority on my own, only a fair bit through school but it is easier for me to learn the vocab and grammar.

I referred to what u have posted subsequently regarding the levels, i can understand up to pre-advance level. Will be going for placement test at bunka for intermediate 4 soon. Dont feel like jumping as i scared my foundation is still not good. :( Currently revising on my own as my resolution for this yr is to get N3 :)

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
には***があって***ような***ことに**するそうだ。
I initially hesitated when I saw あり。
But I still don't know what asebi is actually.

*Edited*
Okay, found the name of the plant already..
だよね。。。これはN1の質問ですが、基礎は強くなければ、この質問はできないでしょう。 =)

avalanste

Banned
Reaction score
だよね。。。これはN1の質問ですが、基礎は強くなければ、この質問はできないでしょう。 =)

文法の問題は語彙なんて分らなくても基本的に大丈夫かもしれないが、語彙の問題は分らないと、ちょっとやばいですね。

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.