Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormX

Reaction score
I am sourcing for air con for my new BTO. Just got the keys recently.
Was offered by one company for the following:
22SWG copper pipe
1/2 inch insulation Class 1 Armaflex
Made in Singapore wiring
16mm drainage pipe
Is the above provided good? Do I need to upgrade any of it?

terumo

Reaction score
To StormX,

Materials quoted are acceptable.
Just make sure the insulation are individually wrapped.

Last edited:

dachee

Reaction score
any recommendations for a system 2? what's the advantages/disadvantages between an inverter and 4 ticks? i know nothing about air-con. tenants requested for air-con.

Hi,

It is difficult to recommend a product as most of us do not use sufficient brands and models to be able to provide a reliable recommendation.

However, dealers are indicating that the top three brand not in order of quality are:

Panasonic, Mitsubishi ELECTRIC, Daikin.

An inverter system can have 4 ticks. These two features are difficult and though they are related in some ways, they are different features.

You can do a simple search on the internet on "what is an inverter"

Do let us know if you have any questions on your search.

The ticks refer to the COP (cofficient of performance) of the air conditioner given by NEA and is indicated in the Energy Label.

More information on the ticks and energy label are available at: http://www.nea.gov.sg/energy-waste/energy-efficiency/household-sector/tick-rating

The more ticks the more efficient the cooling system is. However, it is good to know the actual value to the COP rather than just looking at the number of ticks as some ticks can be at the border line of the next level. Ie a 5 ticks can have a COP that is at the border level of the 4 ticks COP classification with no much difference in energy saving between both.

Air conditioner is one of the highest consumption of electricity in a household. As you are renting out your property with air conditioner, it may be good to have in your TA that some kind of charge is levied on the tenant for the electricity consumption he used for the air conditioner. Without control, electricity bill from air conditioner can sky rocket and really burn a hole in your pocket.

In addition, you may also wish to have in your TA, the tenant's responsibility on the maintenance of the air conditioner, including breakdown repair as well as regular servicing (which is likely to be just cleaning).

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful

dachee

Reaction score
The tenants are paying for all utilities and also aircon maintenance. Then, that doesn't mean I can get a 'not efficient' system for them. Need to know at least a good decent model to get for them. I'm too 'lazy' to do research for something that I don't use. Have done some basic research though. Will probably just go for one that's within my budget and also 'efficient'. Was intending to go for York until an installer said that York parts aren't easily available. Thanks though.

Hi, in this forum, it looks like most people go for Daikin or ME StarMEX. Go for the 5 ticks, good to reduce the impact on climate change.

Last edited:

gdproit_tiorp

Reaction score
I have a system 4 MHI using for 3.5 years. Now having problems cannot turn on, lights on the fan coil have orange blink four times follow by lights in green & orange blink 4 times and this repeat itself again and again.
Have 4 contractors to check and everyone told me a different faults
First one told me gas NOT enough, very confident. After refilling gas, problems still exists
Second one told me gas value cannot open fully, after changing, problems still exists
Third one told me Thermostat spoilt, after changing, problems still exists
Four one ( also the SOLE AGENT told me the dirt inside the gas pipe that block the gas flow fully, Charge me $80 SDG for troubleshooting ONLY. NOT repair done, if repair, this $80 cannot take into account.
Very bad experience.
Please do not buy Mitsubishi Heavy Industries air con for this model. SOLE AGENT office very PROUD guy.
This is the model, PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS MODEL, only last 3.5 years
SCM80ZJ-S ( compressor )
SRK60ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK35ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK25ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK25ZJ-S ( fan coil )
PLEASE DO NOT BUY, bad after sales support from their SOLE AGENT. Very PROUD PROUD attuide.

dachee

Reaction score
I have a system 4 MHI using for 3.5 years. Now having problems cannot turn on, lights on the fan coil have orange blink four times follow by lights in green & orange blink 4 times and this repeat itself again and again.
First one told me gas NOT enough, very confident. After refilling gas, problems still exists
Second one told me gas value cannot open fully, after changing, problems still exists
Four one ( also the SOLE AGENT told me the dirt inside the gas pipe that block the gas flow fully, Charge me $80 SDG for troubleshooting ONLY. NOT repair done, if repair, this $80 cannot take into account.
Very bad experience.
Please do not buy Mitsubishi Heavy Industries air con for this model. SOLE AGENT office very PROUD guy.
SCM80ZJ-S ( compressor )
SRK60ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK35ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK25ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK25ZJ-S ( fan coil )
PLEASE DO NOT BUY, bad after sales support from their SOLE AGENT. Very PROUD PROUD attuide.

Hi,

It will also be good to know which company did the installation for your air conditioner. Poor or improper installation practices can also cause system failure.

Are all your FCUs not working or only in one room?

gdproit_tiorp

Reaction score
All the FCU are not working once the error code appear

Installations of pipings are done by Aircon Designs P. L.

Now, it is confirm that the outdoor condenser itself is faulty at one of the in/out let. All the other 3 in/out let is fine.

This goes to said that the MHI Products itself is NOT made of good quality.

Further more, Singapore SOLE AGENT bad respond to this also prove that they are NOT interested in the products that they carry.

I know Mitshubishi heavy industrial and star max agent is in someway link.

terumo

Reaction score
Hi,

From what you described, should be all 4 units that are unable to operate.
What the sole agent recommended should be to release all the existing gas and vacuum the piping and charge in the gas again.

If you change the thermistors and valves already, most like left
1) PCB
2) Compressor
3) System choked as in gas line "dirty" as sole agent mentioned.

Very bad experience.
SCM80ZJ-S ( compressor )
SRK60ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK35ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK25ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK25ZJ-S ( fan coil )

PlasMa

Reaction score
Hi all, i was quoted $3300 for Mitsubishi star mex, system 3, MXY-3A28VA condenser and 2x MSY-GE10VA and 1x MSY-GE13VA.

is the price ok?

using SWG 22
1/2 Insulation
singapore wire 70

gdproit_tiorp

Reaction score
Hi Mr. Terumo,
Thank you,
you are right in your comment !

This is what the Sole Agent is KM marketing P. L. advice

Recommanded to change E.E.V. coil, but No guaranty on the compressor. Said that because of this fault, it may have hurt compressor.

I know this is a lie on the compressor.

After changing value, thermosat, gas, Now compressor, PCB, the list will go on and on until everything is change.

In the end, change whole new set.

This reflect badly on the MHI products and the KM marketing business technic

gdproit_tiorp

Reaction score
Hi all, i was quoted $3300 for Mitsubishi star mex, system 3, MXY-3A28VA condenser and 2x MSY-GE10VA and 1x MSY-GE13VA.

is the price ok?

using SWG 22
1/2 Insulation
singapore wire 70

Hi,
may I say that the installer for the ducting is very very important.
May I humbly suggest that you find the good installer first. Ask the installer to buy the aircon unit.
If not, the aircon unit seller may give you any installer of their choice
If possible seprate the two. In this way, you are in control of the sitution

dachee

Reaction score
Hi,
may I say that the installer for the ducting is very very important.
May I humbly suggest that you find the good installer first. Ask the installer to buy the aircon unit.
If not, the aircon unit seller may give you any installer of their choice
If possible seprate the two. In this way, you are in control of the sitution

Yes, I think this is good advise. Instead of having control over the dealer, ie the seller of the air conditioner who is actually acting just as a middleman, buy it from the installer who you have agreement and control of how you want your system to be installed and within what terms and conditions. It is ok to let the installer earn a little more as he is the one that the reliability of your system depends on, other than the product itself.

If you get it from the dealer, who may squeeze the profit margin of the installer, it is therefore likely that the installer may do short cuts to the way the system is installed.

I did not purchase my system from the dealer. I purchased it from the installer. I had 3 single splits. My first was vacuumed for only 5 mins and the pre-stored gas was released. I was not happy, the person installing it was not happy too as he had to redo it, release all the gas, vacuum it for 15 mins and realized that the manifold gauge reading changes after the vacuum pump was turned off. Confirming that there is leaking somewhere.

It was later found that the manifold gauge hose was leaking. Meaning that the initial 5 mins vacuuming that was done was not able to serve its purpose.

With new manifold gauge, the system was vacuum again for 15 mins and stand for 2 mins for checking the pointer position (whether the pointer moves or not). The gas was recharged into the system and the pressure level recorded by a photo before the system was sealed off. Soap bubbles was used to check all connections at the condenser.

In my opinion, the above can only happened when you deal directly with the installer.

Hope that the above are helpful.

Mannequin Yeo

Reaction score
Aircon ( URGENT )

Hi All

any good aircon companies/installers to recommend?

Is Gain City good and reliable in terms of their workmanship and following up response on service and repair?

quote as follows :
Mitsubishi starmex system 1,
MUY-GE24 condenser and 1x MSY-GE24VA = SGD1,900
Mitsubishi starmex system 3,
MXY-3A28VA condenser and 2x MSY-GE10VA and 1x MSY-GE13VA. = SGD2,900

Discount for System 3 SGD150

Last edited:

terumo

Reaction score
Another way is to change the whole outdoor unit rather then changing all the parts.
The indoor units & piping can remains (if they are of good condition)

Hi Mr. Terumo,
Thank you,
you are right in your comment !

This is what the Sole Agent is KM marketing P. L. advice

Recommanded to change E.E.V. coil, but No guaranty on the compressor. Said that because of this fault, it may have hurt compressor.

I know this is a lie on the compressor.

After changing value, thermosat, gas, Now compressor, PCB, the list will go on and on until everything is change.

In the end, change whole new set.

This reflect badly on the MHI products and the KM marketing business technic

terumo

Reaction score
Hi,

Your quoted price is a bit on the high side.

is the price ok?

using SWG 22
1/2 Insulation
singapore wire 70

empirestrike

Reaction score
Very bad experience.
SCM80ZJ-S ( compressor )
SRK60ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK35ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK25ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK25ZJ-S ( fan coil )

all recommended here using DAIKIN, MITSUBISHI ELECTRIC and Panasonic...
Other than this 3 brand no need to consider... don't go for newest version with 5 ticks.. less power consumption but less cool... use older version more reliable... :s12::s12::s13::s13::D:D

dachee

Reaction score
Very bad experience.
SCM80ZJ-S ( compressor )
SRK60ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK35ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK25ZJ-S ( fan coil )
SRK25ZJ-S ( fan coil )

Hi,

From the above event, what can we learn from it?

It is my opinion that when we need a problem to be resolved, it is important that the specific job is given to the contractor doing the repair.

The functional failure of the above air conditioner unit is a result of one or more defects or components failure. However, various parts were changed by different contractors and the problem still persist.

Did the customer pay for all the repair works? Should he pay for it?

In my opinion, a specific job scope of getting the air conditioner running without further fault/s should be the communicated and agreed between the customer and contractor. So if the repair work involved the change of some components and yet the problem persist, then the job is not complete and payment should not be made.

Many times, we got carried away and agreed to change of parts as the repair job and ended up paying for it though it does not resolve the actual problem.

Above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful.

dachee

Reaction score
Hi All

any good aircon companies/installers to recommend?

Is Gain City good and reliable in terms of their workmanship and following up response on service and repair?

quote as follows :
Mitsubishi starmex system 1,
MUY-GE24 condenser and 1x MSY-GE24VA = SGD1,900
Mitsubishi starmex system 3,
MXY-3A28VA condenser and 2x MSY-GE10VA and 1x MSY-GE13VA. = SGD2,900

Discount for System 3 SGD150

Hi,

Why do you decide to use MUY-GE24 condenser and 1x MSY-GE24VA but not one GE24 with 2 FCUs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.