Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BEWARE

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone installed midea or york system 2 recently?

yeap, had a friend installed the 4 ticks system 2. Except the louver does not has auto mode, every thing else works fine. I should be installing 2*sys 2 soon. I have my neigbour installed sys 4 recently and again, everything was ok. Cool enough but how reliable? time will tell..

Gain is having this promo where little top up will enjoy 5 years with a peace of mind.

goh6570

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yeap, had a friend installed the 4 ticks system 2. Except the louver does not has auto mode, every thing else works fine. I should be installing 2*sys 2 soon. I have my neigbour installed sys 4 recently and again, everything was ok. Cool enough but how reliable? time will tell..

Gain is having this promo where little top up will enjoy 5 years with a peace of mind.

thanks for sharing. you will be installing midea sys 2?
it comes with 6yrs motor warranty and 2yrs on parts.. not sure how reliable the aircon but it can last 3-4yrs i think is good enuf..

was looking at jk aircon.. gaincity still a little expensive though... :o

BEWARE

Master Member
Reaction score
thanks for sharing. you will be installing midea sys 2?
it comes with 6yrs motor warranty and 2yrs on parts.. not sure how reliable the aircon but it can last 3-4yrs i think is good enuf..

was looking at jk aircon.. gaincity still a little expensive though... :o

York. Are u comparing materials to materials and FCU capacity to capacity? after i searched through comparing the smaller dealers, i realize gain is very competitive unless u going down to under $100 range.

gdproit_tiorp

Reaction score
Yes, I think this is good advise. Instead of having control over the dealer, ie the seller of the air conditioner who is actually acting just as a middleman, buy it from the installer who you have agreement and control of how you want your system to be installed and within what terms and conditions. It is ok to let the installer earn a little more as he is the one that the reliability of your system depends on, other than the product itself.

If you get it from the dealer, who may squeeze the profit margin of the installer, it is therefore likely that the installer may do short cuts to the way the system is installed.

I did not purchase my system from the dealer. I purchased it from the installer. I had 3 single splits. My first was vacuumed for only 5 mins and the pre-stored gas was released. I was not happy, the person installing it was not happy too as he had to redo it, release all the gas, vacuum it for 15 mins and realized that the manifold gauge reading changes after the vacuum pump was turned off. Confirming that there is leaking somewhere.

It was later found that the manifold gauge hose was leaking. Meaning that the initial 5 mins vacuuming that was done was not able to serve its purpose.

With new manifold gauge, the system was vacuum again for 15 mins and stand for 2 mins for checking the pointer position (whether the pointer moves or not). The gas was recharged into the system and the pressure level recorded by a photo before the system was sealed off. Soap bubbles was used to check all connections at the condenser.

In my opinion, the above can only happened when you deal directly with the installer.

Hope that the above are helpful.

Hi,
Yes, I totally agreed.
I only one to highlight one thing, follow this method usually will end up slightly higher price than the dealer, but it is worth it as you will have a carefree system thereafter excluding maintance.

goh6570

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so any good and licensed honest installer to recommend? =:p;)

Yes, I think this is good advise. Instead of having control over the dealer, ie the seller of the air conditioner who is actually acting just as a middleman, buy it from the installer who you have agreement and control of how you want your system to be installed and within what terms and conditions. It is ok to let the installer earn a little more as he is the one that the reliability of your system depends on, other than the product itself.

If you get it from the dealer, who may squeeze the profit margin of the installer, it is therefore likely that the installer may do short cuts to the way the system is installed.

I did not purchase my system from the dealer. I purchased it from the installer. I had 3 single splits. My first was vacuumed for only 5 mins and the pre-stored gas was released. I was not happy, the person installing it was not happy too as he had to redo it, release all the gas, vacuum it for 15 mins and realized that the manifold gauge reading changes after the vacuum pump was turned off. Confirming that there is leaking somewhere.

It was later found that the manifold gauge hose was leaking. Meaning that the initial 5 mins vacuuming that was done was not able to serve its purpose.

With new manifold gauge, the system was vacuum again for 15 mins and stand for 2 mins for checking the pointer position (whether the pointer moves or not). The gas was recharged into the system and the pressure level recorded by a photo before the system was sealed off. Soap bubbles was used to check all connections at the condenser.

In my opinion, the above can only happened when you deal directly with the installer.

Hope that the above are helpful.

goh6570

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
York. Are u comparing materials to materials and FCU capacity to capacity? after i searched through comparing the smaller dealers, i realize gain is very competitive unless u going down to under $100 range.

i have looked into this brand as well, it is from usa. midea is from china ;)

gdproit_tiorp

Reaction score
Another way is to change the whole outdoor unit rather then changing all the parts.
The indoor units & piping can remains (if they are of good condition)

Yes,
you are right again,
My wife and I have search about 2 compaines for the outdoor unit, pricing around $1500 and installation about $300 amount to $1800.
The total new whole set including installation is about $3600.
It is about 50% of new price. Not really worth it
My system is only about 3.5 years old, if get back same system and LAST ONLY another 3.5 years. I think it is really really bad bad bad deal.

Further more, we have no confidence and very disappointed with Mitshubishi heavy industrial air con.
I want to share my bad experience with those intend to buy Mitshubishi Heavy industrial air con.

goh6570

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Heard that MHI no good. ME better

Yes,
you are right again,
My wife and I have search about 2 compaines for the outdoor unit, pricing around $1500 and installation about $300 amount to $1800.
My system is only about 3.5 years old, if get back same system and LAST ONLY another 3.5 years. I think it is really really bad bad bad deal.

Further more, we have no confidence and very disappointed with Mitshubishi heavy industrial air con.
I want to share my bad experience with those intend to buy Mitshubishi Heavy industrial air con.

dachee

Reaction score
Yes,
you are right again,

I understand in your other posting that the other 3 FCUs are working fine until the one having problem is turned on, and once the defective light blink, all FCUs are down.

If I am not wrong, this is because the system shut down by itself. Have you try just using the other three "good" FCUs for a long period without encountering the problem (ie without turning on the faulty FCU)?

If the other FCUs are working fine, then it is likely that the fault is within the faulty FCU system. Common components are likely not affected.

If this is so, instead of tracing for faulty components, you may wish to shut down the faulty FCU and connect a new single split. You have the choice of using Mitsubishi H I without the need to change the FCU (This can be checked by swapping FCUs) or another brand with new condenser and FCU.

This approach would likely be lesser cost than to change the complete system 4.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful

Last edited:

rubber33

Master Member
Reaction score
HI, why do you place your FCUs above the room doors?

Neater
The contractor suggest the following

https://imageshack.com/i/pnRPm8ZXj

Anyway I was inform by my id that the new 5 tick model starmex fcu is bigger..don't know for sure or smoke me..

dachee

Reaction score
Neater
The contractor suggest the following

https://imageshack.com/i/pnRPm8ZXj

Anyway I was inform by my id that the new 5 tick model starmex fcu is bigger..don't know for sure or smoke me..

You may wish to ask your ID why he selected the location above the door for the FCUs. Yes, the new 5 ticks StarMEX is longer.

Ask for some technical answers and references for the answers he provided.

rubber33

Master Member
Reaction score
You may wish to ask your ID why he selected the location above the door for the FCUs. Yes, the new 5 ticks StarMEX is longer.

Ask for some technical answers and references for the answers he provided.

Above the door is what I planned. The air conditioning contractor recommend the second pictures. And give me option on locating dinning fcu in p1 2 and 3

dachee

Reaction score
Above the door is what I planned. The air conditioning contractor recommend the second pictures. And give me option on locating dinning fcu in p1 2 and 3

The contractor's placement is bad!

Why do you choose above the doors for the two bedrooms?

Mannequin Yeo

Reaction score
Hi,

Why do you decide to use MUY-GE24 condenser and 1x MSY-GE24VA but not one GE24 with 2 FCUs?

We preferred to have two compressors, one for living room system 1, the other for all bedrooms System 3. Just in case, if one compressor not working. Any best alternatives?

dachee

Reaction score
No preference anyway. Just thought above the door would look neater. What your take?

Hi,

Above the door in my opinion may not be an ideal place for the following reasons:

1. The door is normally offset from the centre of the room. As such, the FCU is not able to suck in warm air equally from all corners of the room. This create some hot spots.

2. Having the FCU on one corner of the room, will limit effectiveness of cooling the bed which is where people spend most of the time in the bedroom.

3. Door normally open and close. When door open, warm air, including humid air enters the room. When humid air is in contact with the cold surface of the FCU, water condensation may happen.

4. When the door below the FCU is opened, the FCU fan will suck in the warm air from outside towards the place where it is intended to cool.

5. With the FCU above the door, the drain pipe would need to run horizontally from the FCU to clear the door width before it can run straight down. This allows the accumulation of scum in the slow flowing horizontal pipe. It is good practice to run drain pipe vertically down from the FCU before it is slanted horizontally. This allowed the flow to increase as it drop vertically from the FCU.

6. With the wider 5 ticks FCU, you may have problem centralizing it to the door.

7. Never place a FCU above a toilet door or against a hot wall.

I feel that it is good to place the FCU in such position that it is blowing along the length of the room, able to blow towards the bed, at the centre of the shorter wall, away from the door.

However, there are conflicting understanding if you refer to the geomancy of FCU placement.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.