View Single Post
Old 01-01-2017, 02:10 PM   #9142
AReality

Hi,

There are two factors to be considered regarding noise level from the outdoor unit.

1. Noise level produced from the unit.

2. Noise level produced from the installation mounting method.

For point 1, the 5 ticks StarMEX has a noise level of 49 dB and is rated up to 59 dB (need to find out what they mean by rated from the technical support team. This model is the only one with the rated reading).

The 2 ticks StarMEX has a noise level of 49 dB too. And the LG system 3 with 4 connections is 48dB.

As the other models does not show the rated sound level, the 49dB reading will be considered for the 5 ticks.

In comparison, the sound levels for all the 3 models are almost the same.

Another source where sound can be generated is the mounting method of both the outdoor unit bracket to the wall as well as the outdoor unit to the bracket.

An improper mounting not according to manufacturer's requirement and unauthorized personnel installing the mounting bracket can lead to vibration, generating noise.

From the above, the salesperson's recommendation for selecting other brands and models does not make sense.

You may wish to view this video to feel how loud is 49 dB. https://youtu.be/4QAKPvG0P1M

You can also download a free dB meter from Play Store and use this meter to check the sound level of the installed unit with your hand phone.

You may also check with other sales agent / installer to see if they say the same thing. Are there any similar model that are installed around your block? If so, are their neighbours complaining about the sound level?

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful.
Thanks!

I'm not concert about the noise level from the unit itself.
The salesman was talking about the vibration noise from the unit caused by mounting on the brackets. He says that there will be no problem on concrete ledge.

Mine's a resale flat, and all my neighbours have old air con units. He says only the new starmex 5 ticks has this problem, the 2 ticks does not have the vibration problem.

Is he trying to smoke me?
Now I'm back to LG as my 1st choice.