NUS - Data Science and Analytics

NPNTBoy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone planning to get into this new course?

For AY16/17:
More information on DSA here

Graduation requirements can be found here(updated).

1. MA2104 Multivariable Calculus has been added as an alternative to MA2311 Techniques in Advanced Calculus. The Department of Mathematics will start offering MA2104 in Sem 2 AY 17/18.

2. ST4240 Data Mining in List B1 has been replaced by two new modules: ST3248 Statistical Learning I and ST4248 Statistical Learning II. These two new modules will be offered for the first time in AY 18/19, in Sem 1 and Sem 2 respectively. ST4240 will be offered for the last time in Sem 2 AY 17/18. You should not read ST4240 as it cannot be used to satisfy the major requirements and will preclude you from reading both ST3248 and ST4248.

3. DSA3102 and DSA3101 will be preallocated in Y3S1. You can concurrently read MA2311, which is a pre-requisite for DSA3102.

Information on new DSA-coded modules can be found here.

IGP for AY2016/2017: 10th percentile at AAB/C (80 Rank Points)
Historical IGP

For AY17/18 onwards:
Refer to this page.

Programme Requirement: Here

For AY17/18 onwards, DSA students need to complete at least 2 semesters of internship(Semester 1 and 2). Alternatively, students also have an option to undergo a newly initiated Co-Operative Education. In this scheme, students can take up an internship of up to 1.5 years(or 18 months) in addition to the 2 required semesters of internship.. Check here for more info on this path.

Last edited:

mgx-alander

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
from some1 who graduated from SOC, its a half fugged course

Darkzi0n

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
from some1 who graduated from SOC, its a half fugged course

u r not referring to the Business Analytics course rite? I looked at the DSA curriculum.. seems pretty okay, definitely much better than BA

Death4ngel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
u r not referring to the Business Analytics course rite? I looked at the DSA curriculum.. seems pretty okay, definitely much better than BA

1 Apple 1 Orange. How to compare? :s13:

It's like asking Arts & Science. Which is better? :s22:

Tennantra

Reaction score
Can anyone share some insight about the market for entry level jobs in data science? Do you think this course will be enough to get a job or still need to take Masters? Cause I went to search some job portals, saw that most jobs need experience and at least Masters.

Darkzi0n

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1 Apple 1 Orange. How to compare? :s13:

It's like asking Arts & Science. Which is better? :s22:

dun understand the analogy. y cannot compare apple and orange... can always compare the nutritional value, price of the 2 fruits, ease of growing, weight of the 2 fruits... jus depends on which dimension u wanna compare nia. its like asking is the apple or orange heavier.. then u say cannot compare bcos 1 apple 1 orange.

anyway, DSA and BA are not that different such that u totally cant compare them. probably half of the modules are overlapping. The underlying techniques taught by the 2 are largely similar (or atleast it can be easily picked up by the other major given the foundation from the essential mods).

NPNTBoy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow coursemates :)

Who got into this course already? Any other insights to this?

Else, could hit me up with PM. Haha

Currently, I don't have much information on DSA. Online, I have found a discussion thread on Reddit on this topic here.

May I ask if you have attended the freshman talk on DSA?

NPNTBoy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Up for DSA majors! Are you excited in taking DSA1101 this coming semester?

Darkzi0n

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
usually who send out email about career/internship to data sci majors arh?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.