N level graduates

andrewsrq

Reaction score
I'm actually trying to get a few pointers in life as to where I can go in career field/furthering my studies

so here's a little about me first

I am a 22 years old and have finished my national service, working as a full time hotelier (front desk) highest qualification is a Nlevel cert with almost all ungraded except for English and Chinese, I am in a confusion as to whether I do not know what I wanna do or I'm actually okay with doing anything(any jobs) though I do prefer jobs that have contribution to the society like social workers/personal assistances or service line

I tried calling the social service institute but I do not meet any of the requirement that is needed to enroll into diploma in it, they do not accept private's diploma either so I guess this way is shut off for me (though if you guys do know a way for me to enter this field please advise me on this cause this is most likely the field I would wanna enter)

I have went to ite to try and ask for a course consultant but the person there could only teach me how to apply online which I would try and see what are my options after this year Nlevel result is out

I also went to Kaplan to look at the courses available there, I was looking at legal studies/counselling but my sisters (both are local uni graduates) tells me that I'm wasting money if I were to really go into any of these courses and when I try to suggest something else they insist that I should not go if I can't make up my mind on whether what I wanna do

But here's the thing its not that I do not know what I wanna do but its because I know my options are not a lot as to my mistakes on not studying when I had the chance, when it's still cheap and now I'm paying the price for it which I would not whine about and would wholeheartedly pursue in it

so I thought it would be possible to get a few insight on people who have gotten their private diploma and are currently working now, maybe someone could tell me which is the most general course that i can go into, any information would be appreciated thank you :)

intime

Reaction score
I'm actually trying to get a few pointers in life as to where I can go in career field/furthering my studies

I am a 22 years old and have finished my national service, working as a full time hotelier (front desk) highest qualification is a Nlevel cert with almost all ungraded except for English and Chinese, I am in a confusion as to whether I do not know what I wanna do or I'm actually okay with doing anything(any jobs) though I do prefer jobs that have contribution to the society like social workers/personal assistances or service line

I tried calling the social service institute but I do not meet any of the requirement that is needed to enroll into diploma in it, they do not accept private's diploma either so I guess this way is shut off for me (though if you guys do know a way for me to enter this field please advise me on this cause this is most likely the field I would wanna enter)

I have went to ite to try and ask for a course consultant but the person there could only teach me how to apply online which I would try and see what are my options after this year Nlevel result is out

I also went to Kaplan to look at the courses available there, I was looking at legal studies/counselling but my sisters (both are local uni graduates) tells me that I'm wasting money if I were to really go into any of these courses and when I try to suggest something else they insist that I should not go if I can't make up my mind on whether what I wanna do

But here's the thing its not that I do not know what I wanna do but its because I know my options are not a lot as to my mistakes on not studying when I had the chance, when it's still cheap and now I'm paying the price for it which I would not whine about and would wholeheartedly pursue in it

so I thought it would be possible to get a few insight on people who have gotten their private diploma and are currently working now, maybe someone could tell me which is the most general course that i can go into, any information would be appreciated thank you :)

Put aside the private education institute options for now.
Concentrate on staying within the public system like, ite, poly, o lvl, wsq.
I assume you retook N Levels? thats why you are waiting for N level results?
So focus and stick to the ITE plan, then move on from there.

In the mean while, suggest that you seek opinions and advice from WSG career centres,
http://www.wsg.gov.sg/career-services.html
Go there see what kind of training/career plans or strategies you and the officers can form to move forward.

yeobt

Reaction score
you should know what you like and what you want to be by now.
go pick up a skill you have passion with.

CJW311296

Reaction score

Hi there,
Saw you are facing some difficulties in whether which study route should you be heading imo I think ITE you may enrol in nitec courses where I came from nitec currently progress to higher nitec year 2 student graduating coming Mar and also planning for poly education after which.TBH my n level is also considered quite badly done although I pass 4 subject however still short fall of 1 subject to join Sec 5NA as I am from NA Stream.So when I received my result slip as I was planning to go Sec 5 however due to lack of 5 subject passed couldn't make it so I seek advise from my secondary sch form teacher they have advise me to join ITE for foundation and it not the end can still proceed with whatever in life so long I don't give up.

Yeah you may still join ITE however main application phase has ended however you may filed at the next phase which is late application/appeal phase for your placing ITE do have many courses which I believe definitely there is something out there for you the next phase will start 30 Dec 2016 to 3 Jan 2017.I strongly advised you to look at the course list as there is description and entry requirement to various course.
Link is as per: www.ite.edu.sg

The lecturer in ITE are like our friends where they will engage us fully and always we are looking forward to lesson.TBH I am accounting student sound bored right?However beside those manual stuff we are taught computerised accounting that the market are still using like MYOB,ACCPAC etc so this type of software do keep us interested in the course so I can do it I believe you can also.Do pm me if you want to know abt ITE sch life etc.

On a side note,You may liaise with the relevant course manager or section head with regards to admission issues they are nice ppl and I believe they will do their best in arranging the placing for you you may google their contact at SGID Directory.

Best Regards
CJW

Last edited:

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
after this post, user nv login anymore :)

andrewsrq

Reaction score
thank you all

Hi, sorry for not logging in back in to read all these comments, I have gone ahead to both Kaplan and Ite, however didn't manage to get any information except them telling me to go home and read it online :/ went to Kaplan and met with a course consultant, might actually go Kaplan instead but first I need to wait for the 1month period for quitting my job so won't be able to study this year as it will be past their application date, in the mean time I will just try and find a normal admin job, something simple to do first :)

but really apologise for not coming back on to check, really appreciate all the help given here, see you guys around!

CJW311296

Reaction score
Hi, sorry for not logging in back in to read all these comments, I have gone ahead to both Kaplan and Ite, however didn't manage to get any information except them telling me to go home and read it online :/ went to Kaplan and met with a course consultant, might actually go Kaplan instead but first I need to wait for the 1month period for quitting my job so won't be able to study this year as it will be past their application date, in the mean time I will just try and find a normal admin job, something simple to do first :)

but really apologise for not coming back on to check, really appreciate all the help given here, see you guys around!

Hi,

It's fine all the best for your studies since u have make up your mind do well in it..

All the best!!

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are no short cut. Btw, UniSIM is now known as SUSS.

1. To become a Social Worker, you must get a Graduate Diploma in Social Work or Bachelor of Social Work from UniSIM.
  2. To become a Counselor, you must get one of the undergraduate/graduate courses from this link here: http://www.sac-counsel.org.sg/recognised_counsellor_education_courses/
  3. To become a Lawyer, you must get Bachelor of Laws from UniSIM, SMU or NUS.

I will recommend you to enter Traineeship for Nitec because unlikely you can get into full time Nitec of your choice. Then get a Polytechnic Diploma & apply for UniSIM Bachelor of Laws, Bachelor of Counselling & Bachelor of Social Work to see which school accepted you for the course.

But most important thing is a Lawyer, Counselor or Social Worker what you want for your career? I feel that you are so lost & do not know what to do. Then you hope to be useful & contribute to the society by working in one of the social service occupations. But how I think is you maybe sending out a SOS signal & hope someone from social service professionals will come to your recuse without knowing it yourself. I think you may want to talk to a Counselor about your life & career.

But if you think you are ok & have decided to study Kaplan, then I wish you all the best for your future prospects.

Last edited:

melvinchen

Master Member
Reaction score

Consider part time poly or WSQ diploma and forget about private diplomas.
Private diploma is kind of useless.....

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Go for part time poly.. As least you can get a pie for a job..

IsaacMLT

Reaction score
Bro i'd suggest part time poly diploma. Diploma is a huge upgrade to your current qualifications. poly diploma is q widely accepted

LoneTraveller

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe you can see whether there is any study cum work scheme offered by companies which may sponsor you for courses while you work for them eg. Cisco, police, army, ica etc.

Weeli85

Reaction score
Bro i'd suggest part time poly diploma. Diploma is a huge upgrade to your current qualifications. poly diploma is q widely accepted

But I think he need to start from basic, Nitec ---> Higher Nitec ---> Poly Diploma ---> Degree

Last edited:

owchan

Reaction score
It might take a long time but go for ITE -> Poly -> Local Uni.

It's better than going to Kaplan and taking short cuts... There's a reason why they offer such short courses and are so desperate to the point that they constantly harass poly students outside polytechnics with brochures.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.