Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkimMilk

Master Member
Reaction score
I have not really tested out all the features of the set. I have 2 main purposes when getting the set. Firstly, to be able to switch easily between Kodi and DVB-T2 without having to access the TV remote to switch HDMI ports, and turning on a separate STB.

Secondly, seeing that it has an ethernet port, to be able to transfer recorded DVB-T2 contents via LAN to my NAS or PCs without having to constantly plug/un-plug external HDDs or thumbdrives.

The set is essentially an Android box. Kodi and DVB-T2 appear as apps. You can load in more apps from Play Store (the usual, limited by memory). 4 USB ports are indeed useful - use 1 for wireless keyboard access and the rest can be used for external HDDs or thumbdrives.

Individually, Kodi works like normal, whether streaming from internet or playing back from LAN. I like the remote for this set. On some standalone Kodi sets that I have come across, I noticed that the remote does not come with buttons for stop, pause, fwd and rew - one has to access the on-screen menu for these functions, which becomes a multi-step process.

The DVB-T2 app functions as per any STB. One thing stood out is that it records each programme in two files (.ts or .mts [can't recall] and .media). The latter is just used by the app for media info like displaying of programme name, etc. So, you can access the .ts file by itself on any PC and do what you want with it. Can't tell you much more about the DVB-T2 functions as I haven't used it for recording for a while, with the following reason.

There is no multi-tasking (or maybe I didn't set it up properly, hehe :D). That means, at any one time, you are running Kodi or DVB-T2, not simultaneously. So, if you have set up the DVB-T2 to timer record some programmes, and then you switch to Kodi to watch some shows, it won't record since you are not running the DVB-T2 app. Another bummer is that if you want to timer record TV programmes, the set has to be on and running the DVB-T2 app - that means, you can't have the set in standby like normal DVB-T2 STBs (again, I may not have set it up correctly :D). In any case, my queries to the seller did not result in any useful info. :s22: More RAM may help so that apps can run in background...

For the transfer of recorded TV programmes via LAN, it works, albeit not so great in transfer speed (I used ESbrowser for the transfer, IIRC). Likely dependent on OS, processor and memory. So, I'm back to plugging/un-plugging HDDs, hehe. :s13:

The wifi works but since I place my set inside an enclosed TV console, the wifi signal strength is likely going to be affected. Anyway, I mainly make use of the ethernet port.

Miracast was provided in the pre-loaded apps. However, I couldn't get mine to work correctly. It will connect and then cut off immediately or it will just show "waiting to connect" even though my device shows it has already connected.

It is possible the issues I encountered could be due to it being a faulty set. I have not checked out the newer models. Hopefully, the functions have been improved somewhat.

Let me know if you have specific questions.
Cheers! :)
Thanks petebull123 for the detailed reply! Really appreciate it!

I'm interested in the tuner recording capabilities as my wife/girl will most likely use it. However, what you have mentioned kind of puts the device in the back seat. Can't be on standby and unable to multitask/view other channels when recording can become a "problem". Hahaha

I'll Google and see if there are more reviews in the kii pro and whether these issues have been rectified.

Thanks again!

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT

petebull123

Reaction score
Thanks petebull123 for the detailed reply! Really appreciate it!

I'm interested in the tuner recording capabilities as my wife/girl will most likely use it. However, what you have mentioned kind of puts the device in the back seat. Can't be on standby and unable to multitask/view other channels when recording can become a "problem". Hahaha

I'll Google and see if there are more reviews in the kii pro and whether these issues have been rectified.

Thanks again!

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT

No problem.
It all depends on your requirements.
If you don't need Kodi, then a standalone DVB-T2 STB will suffice.

If you just want to record ch U (e.g. Korean serials) and watch CNA in parallel, and this is your usual pattern, then, you just need one STB since ch U, CNA and Okto are grouped under the same freq (see pg 1 of this thread). So you can watch any channel within the group while recording another within that same group.

If you want to watch a channel from a separate group, then you have 2 options:
1. a dual-tuner STB
2. 2 STBs :D

The latter is quite a viable option if you think about it. I got my K3 for less than USD18. Two of them is even cheaper than a K1plusT2. Only thing is that you will need 2 HDMI ports and 2 antennae. Limited HDMI ports can be overcome with a 3 to 5 USD HDMI switcher if one doesn't have high audiovisual requirements. If need to, the 2 antennae can be integrated as done by another forummer here.

SkimMilk

Master Member
Reaction score
No problem.
It all depends on your requirements.
If you don't need Kodi, then a standalone DVB-T2 STB will suffice.

If you just want to record ch U (e.g. Korean serials) and watch CNA in parallel, and this is your usual pattern, then, you just need one STB since ch U, CNA and Okto are grouped under the same freq (see pg 1 of this thread). So you can watch any channel within the group while recording another within that same group.

If you want to watch a channel from a separate group, then you have 2 options:
1. a dual-tuner STB
2. 2 STBs :D

The latter is quite a viable option if you think about it. I got my K3 for less than USD18. Two of them is even cheaper than a K1plusT2. Only thing is that you will need 2 HDMI ports and 2 antennae. Limited HDMI ports can be overcome with a 3 to 5 USD HDMI switcher if one doesn't have high audiovisual requirements. If need to, the 2 antennae can be integrated as done by another forummer here.

Don't think there's any dual tuner STB in the market right now. For the K3, can you link me to the product page?

As for the grouping, I looked at pg1 of this thread but I don't see anything talking about grouping? Or am I looking at the wrong stuff? :s22:

VodkaPear

Master Member
Reaction score
erm, jus wan to cfm.

currently, my living room tv is connected to the wall socket with the round round cable.

so if I wan to watch the new digital channel, I need get an antenna and a dvb-t2 digital box?

SkimMilk

Master Member
Reaction score
erm, jus wan to cfm.

currently, my living room tv is connected to the wall socket with the round round cable.

so if I wan to watch the new digital channel, I need get an antenna and a dvb-t2 digital box?

Round round cable = coax cable

To receive HD channels, if your TV already has built in DVB-T2 tuner, then you don't need a Set Top Box (STB or "digital box"). You will just need an indoor antenna. If your TV does not have a built in tuner, then you must get a STB.

VodkaPear

Master Member
Reaction score
Round round cable = coax cable

To receive HD channels, if your TV already has built in DVB-T2 tuner, then you don't need a Set Top Box (STB or "digital box"). You will just need an indoor antenna. If your TV does not have a built in tuner, then you must get a STB.

Ooo. Thanks for info.

Guess I will need a STB plus an antenna.

Meaning I will connect the antenna to the STB then to TV using a HDMI cable right?

petebull123

Reaction score
Don't think there's any dual tuner STB in the market right now. For the K3, can you link me to the product page?

As for the grouping, I looked at pg1 of this thread but I don't see anything talking about grouping? Or am I looking at the wrong stuff? :s22:

yeah, dual DVB-T2 tuner STB = holy grail at the moment :s13: I think there are those that have DVB-T2 + DVB-C though.

K3 STB link

Pg 1 Post#3 - those under same freq = same group.

VodkaPear

Master Member
Reaction score
yeah, dual DVB-T2 tuner STB = holy grail at the moment :s13: I think there are those that have DVB-T2 + DVB-C though.

K3 STB link

Hi bro, if i wan to buy this for my old tv. do i need to grab an external antenna as well? this can search for mediacorp channels hor? sorry, i quite noob.

petebull123

Reaction score
Hi bro, if i wan to buy this for my old tv. do i need to grab an external antenna as well? this can search for mediacorp channels hor? sorry, i quite noob.

hi,
yes, you need to have external antenna (let's leave discussion on MATV out). I can't remember whether the set comes with a small stick antenna (I'm using one with my K3). If not, you can read the various discussions on antennae on this and previous threads for more info on which to get, or on how to fashion your own, if you like :).

The STB can scan and receive mediacorp channels, and others if you are lucky (depending on where you reside) ;). Your old TV has HDMI port(s) hor? :s22:

VodkaPear

Master Member
Reaction score
hi,
yes, you need to have external antenna (let's leave discussion on MATV out). I can't remember whether the set comes with a small stick antenna (I'm using one with my K3). If not, you can read the various discussions on antennae on this and previous threads for more info on which to get, or on how to fashion your own, if you like :).

The STB can scan and receive mediacorp channels, and others if you are lucky (depending on where you reside) ;). Your old TV has HDMI port(s) hor? :s22:

Thanks for replying.

Yes, my old TV has a HDMI port.

In this case, I will proceed to order one K3 from the link u provided and also search for an antenna from qoo10.

:):):)

petebull123

Reaction score
Thanks for replying.

Yes, my old TV has a HDMI port.

In this case, I will proceed to order one K3 from the link u provided and also search for an antenna from qoo10.

:):):)

Just took a cursory glance at the package contents for the K3 link I provided. Apparently, antenna and hdmi cable are not included.... You may want to search in that site for other sellers that may provide lower pricing. Just suggesting.... :) Also, take note that CNY is just weeks away and this item is shipping from China. So, shipping could be affected by the extended festive period.

I think the K2, which was discussed quite a bit in this forum, could also be around that price given the USD exchange rate currently. While the K3 is small and compact with the power supply built in, any issues with the power supply would mean you have to 'buang' the whole set unlike the K2 where the power adapter is separate from the main unit.

Anyway, have fun shopping and good luck. :)

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Regarding K3 brand STB, there is this seller (Sinho) in Qoo10 selling for $22.90 (shipping included). With coupon and qpoints, one can get it for as low as $15. Delivery take around 7 working days.

BTW, I'm not promoting for this seller, just sharing what I know and experience, I had my fair share of issue with seller's shipper.

Do take that this model and K2 have heating issue, so do replace the provided "heatsink" with a real one. For more info on this, refer to the thread on this model.

ykgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
Do take that this model and K2 have heating issue, so do replace the provided "heatsink" with a real one.

What other options are there without heating issue? It looks like these Chinese-made boxes are all mostly the same inside except the external case to cater to different aesthetic taste?

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What other options are there without heating issue? It looks like these Chinese-made boxes are all mostly the same inside except the external case to cater to different aesthetic taste?

No idea as these are the only PRC STB I know of.

VodkaPear

Master Member
Reaction score
Regarding K3 brand STB, there is this seller (Sinho) in Qoo10 selling for $22.90 (shipping included). With coupon and qpoints, one can get it for as low as $15. Delivery take around 7 working days.

BTW, I'm not promoting for this seller, just sharing what I know and experience, I had my fair share of issue with seller's shipper.

Do take that this model and K2 have heating issue, so do replace the provided "heatsink" with a real one. For more info on this, refer to the thread on this model.

thanks bro. going to purchase it tonight.

SkimMilk

Master Member
Reaction score

K3 STB link

Thanks for the link!

And oh! same frequency = same group! didn't realise that the channels were riding on the same frequency! :s22: :s13:

And thanks to albertlee for pointing out that Qoo10 also has the K3 for sale. :)

chiangkc007

Reaction score
Anybody can recommend which digital antenna to buy for lg 49uh610t model? Can I assume no need to get the tv tuner for this model? Thank you

zzxxzzxx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Question.

Anyone with XiaoMi handphones that has the Mi Remote App (phone must have Infrared).
I'm using Note 3 Pro.

My remote for China STB is not working well, so wanted to add remote from phone.
I tried many options, but cannot work.

So if anyone have a 'brand' that works for the STB, do let me know. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.