55 to 65" LED / OLED / LCD TV discussion thread [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoossh

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For non korean TVs, can sharp and panasonic compete with sony? I search the old thread also dun see anyone mention toshiba (they no more in tv industry?).

Currently considering sony 55" tv with at least 3 hdmi (55W800c had 4). ok with both FHD and 4k. any other models i should compare with?

Citiguy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am not sure on this, but Toshiba is producing Android TV now?

Baggio10

Reaction score
Need help on choosing between 2 tvs.
I went courts today and saw 2 tvs on offer:

LG 49UH610T free blu-ray player and free mounting

Panasonic TH49DX650S free wireless keyboard and free mounting.

Saleman insists panasonic has a better spec.
Is this true?

petetherock

Reaction score
Don't worry too much about the specs on paper.
Grab the remote, tune the settings, bring a USB drive of some movie clip you are familar with and try it.
If the sales guy refuses, walk away!

kenzi87

Reaction score
Anyone got offer for UA65KS7500 can pm gonna buy soon:s12: or any other comparable at same size?

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to share some knowledge I got when researching to purchase my TV earlier this year. 2016 models the manufacturers happily slapped the "HDR" label on practically all their TVs, but it might be good to know that the low-mid range models actually aren't fully HDR compliant. Meaning which they can accept and process an HDR signal, but they can't (fully) display the HDR picture as intended.

Some examples:

Samsung: Series 6 all cannot output a proper HDR picture.
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/article.php?subaction=showfull&id=1460114926

LG: Anything below UH77 cannot output a proper HDR picture. http://www.flatpanelshd.com/article.php?subaction=showfull&id=1459247590

Citiguy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to share some knowledge I got when researching to purchase my TV earlier this year. 2016 models the manufacturers happily slapped the "HDR" label on practically all their TVs, but it might be good to know that the low-mid range models actually aren't fully HDR compliant. Meaning which they can accept and process an HDR signal, but they can't (fully) display the HDR picture as intended.

Some examples:

Samsung: Series 6 all cannot output a proper HDR picture.
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/article.php?subaction=showfull&id=1460114926

LG: Anything below UH77 cannot output a proper HDR picture. http://www.flatpanelshd.com/article.php?subaction=showfull&id=1459247590

HDR is the next feature to look out for?

jedi5diah

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for low/mid range HDR tvs you need to pump all settings to the max on the brightness and cannot turn on any "motion feature"to meet the so call 1000nits min "HDR standard"

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for low/mid range HDR tvs you need to pump all settings to the max on the brightness and cannot turn on any "motion feature"to meet the so call 1000nits min "HDR standard"

all these hdr stuffs are for white elephant at the moment.

besides the TV, you need to have UHD blueray player, or UHD media player, and also UHD blueray disc. not that common now.

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
all these hdr stuffs are for white elephant at the moment.
like jedi5diah said, netflix has a few shows in hdr/dolby vision. ps4 pro oso can output hdr but i dunno how many games actually support it. we'll see this year what happens ba, i think most manufacturers are doubling down on hdr support on their TVs so perhaps the content will catch up.

dronell

Reaction score
Anyone knows how much is 65inch samsung tv price
I was offered
KU6500 - $2999 (with $150 voucher)
KS7500 - $3999
kS9000 - $4999 (with $200 voucher)

Can pls advice. Today cannot go anywhere but need to decide on payment

jayjay0702

Reaction score
hi all,

is it a good time to buy TV now? or should wait for a 1-2 more months for all the new models that were announce last month to be made available to the market?

skpuppy

Master Member
Reaction score
hi all,

is it a good time to buy TV now? or should wait for a 1-2 more months for all the new models that were announce last month to be made available to the market?

Waiting for 65" led to drop to $1500

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi all,

Perhaps you have to wait afew months. Now the models you see out there are all 2016 mid year models, whether is it LG, Samsung or Sony.

But if thinking if price, you can buy the 2016 if 2017 models arrive. It will be cheaper.

Anyway now TV technology, just like mobile phones, reaching its peak, nothing really new to add on. What is new maybe its the panel and the colours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.