learning japanese

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seeing this N1 cert reminds me how much effort i put in to get it. Sleepless nights, hours of study, etc, etc. Still remembered i cried after seeing that i passed... To my students and students who are learning Japanese, find your goal in life and i am sure God will bless you.

15822898_1562928397057826_1654918911210033855_n.jpg

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For those struggling, either in Japanese studies or any other stuff.

"Do not give up, you are not alone." Somewhere, somehow, someone in this planet earth is facing the same issue and are in the scenario as you are in. Maybe even worse.

諦めないで. キミは一人じゃない.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/**/1c/bf/cb1cbf8f084709ebcdf2fcc46bc147ee.jpg

unfinished07

Master Member
Reaction score
N1の合格、おめでとうございます。

BunkaのAdvancedクラスがいいかもしれませんが、先生はちょっと偏見があります。前の投稿をご覧ください。それを納得できれば、どうぞ。

IkomaのFurther Advancedはつまらないです。教科書はこちらです。1課は6回のレッスンで終わります。この前参加していたとき、あまり会話がありませんでした。ほとんど読解、N1の文法ですね。

時間がございましたら、私のミットアップに入ってごらんなさい。
http://www.meetup.com/SGJapaneseMeetup

おしゃべり会は最大20人ですが、テーブルを4つに分けて、おしゃべりをします。1時間ごとに席を変えます。

個人の意見ですが、君が今必要なのはレッスンじゃなくて、会話の練習だと思います。

もっと挑戦したければ、外国にある翻訳コースをおすすめできます。ただ、英語は得意じゃなければ、すぐやめさせられます。

Kanai sensei's further advance classes wasn't that boring....
ていうか、つまらなくなる暇が無かった。:s13:

unfinished07

Master Member
Reaction score
this is my own way, just for everyone's reference.
to improve in not just japanese but any foreign language, you have to immerse yourself in that language, even if you are not staying in that country.
for those who are attending classes, of course u study using your materials.
on top of that, get every/any way to expose yourself to japanese.
listen to songs, watch drama/tv shows/news
(dailymotion is not bad for this)
even if those are above your language ability levels, it's good to just listen to how they pronounce even if you don't understand.
whatever words u see on tv/printed material, try to read them in your mind as soon as u see them.

and also, you have to change your way of thinking. as much as possible, think in japanese, not in english/chinese.
everyone talks to themselves in their own minds. talk to yourself in japanese. not in your mother tongue.

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
totally agree.

Some habits of mine include listening to Japanese Radio, watching Japanese Drama (modern and classical), watching talkshows.

setup my appliances to Japanese language like PC monitor, camera settings, etc.
reading both English manuals and Japanese manuals for things I buy, etc etc etc....

Everytime you converse with your surrounding environment, like in work, school, friends. I ask myself how would I translate it in Japanese. The aim is to learn to use it as a First Language rather than a Third Language.

One of the things happen yesterday night on the MRT, was that I was reading this Japanese website kakaku.com on some camera discussions and technical reviews. Then suddenly there are these two Japanese secondary school or high school girls came and approach me and ask for some directions. It led to conversations like how long have them been here, Singapore local customs that are weird / interesting to them, when are they going back to Japan for their universities studies, etc etc etc and we end up exchanging emails when then reach their stop.

Its fun! yeah! :D

Bryson

Reaction score
Just wondering, anyone has experience with japanesepod101.com? Planning to self study at my own pace..

Previously was attending beginner course with dimitri_can sensei but have to drop out due to work. Currently getting more stable with my work thus wanting to revert back to studying Japanese again.

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
in my opinion and experience, self study require lots of determination and discipline especially for 3rd language.

I would recommend that you join a formal class or course if time permits. :D

thwysg

Reaction score
I took the JLPT purely for self-enrichment too. didn't require it for work or for school or even socially. I just wanted to have that feeling of achievement hahaha

I went for Ikoma's prep course for both N2 and N1. For the other grades, I think it's possible to self study them, but I never took those exams because I felt it was a waste of money.

If you purely want to pass the JLPT, i think Ikoma's prep courses are very good. They give you these incredible notes and the mock tests are similar so you really get the practice and info needed. But on the flip side you hardly talk in there beyond the initial introduction in the first lesson, so if you were looking more to be able to talk, then you might want to consider their other courses.

Good luck for the JLPT! It made me quite happy when I passed it and received the cert, so even if it's not for any official purpose, if you want to do it, I encourage you to attempt it!! :))

Thanks for the encouragement.

Just started first day of class yesterday. Had a culture shock. Foresee some students might drop out. Flash cards used are not really for those with zero knowledge. Country names in Japanese as well. Even the textbook used is from Taiwan. There are two students who don't read Chinese. And the staff mentioned that they could just get the English textbooks in Kinokuniya. There are other matters which surprised me. Even a former student was sharing with me that the current teacher might be sticking to the book entirely and nothing more on conversational.

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement.

Just started first day of class yesterday. Had a culture shock. Foresee some students might drop out. Flash cards used are not really for those with zero knowledge. Country names in Japanese as well. Even the textbook used is from Taiwan. There are two students who don't read Chinese. And the staff mentioned that they could just get the English textbooks in Kinokuniya. There are other matters which surprised me. Even a former student was sharing with me that the current teacher might be sticking to the book entirely and nothing more on conversational.

my advice: copy textbook. there's a lot of free materials on my website. feel free to use them. Good luck

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For those who are not so sure about the names for the various forms, hope this helps..
Chapters are linked to the Minna no Nihongo textbook

2rvyo3o.png

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.