Car rental in Perth, Western Australia

csoyzx

Master Member
Reaction score
just curious.. if we bought our own travel insurance that comes with car rental excess do we still need to buy comprehensive insurance when we rent the car?

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just curious.. if we bought our own travel insurance that comes with car rental excess do we still need to buy comprehensive insurance when we rent the car?

I believe those kind will only pay the excess which you're charged with from the rental co.

Awesom Andy

Reaction score

In Australia, car rentals automatically include comprehensive insurance. What we need to pay is the excess of that insurance policy. Generally speaking, the travel insurance would cover only the excess. That's all you really need in Australia, as long as the coverage is adequate - most only cover for $500 or $1000 while the excess can be over $3000 in a lot of cases. You may choose to purchase other products (e.g. excess reduction packages available at the car rental company, or excess reduction insurance offered by a 3rd party) to ensure you don't have any gaps in your coverage.

Other countries can rent cars without comprehensive insurance, but that's very different and you won't see this in Australia so I won't comment further on this.

eisrad_11

Reaction score
Hard to appeal leh. They send me photo evidence some more. I don't think I got good excuse or emergency.

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT

where did you get the ticket? I just returned from NT and was stopped by the traffic police on the roadside. I just paid it off but am worried if there are other tickets coming in. I think I might have exceeded the limited on certain part of the highway. GG.

addats

Reaction score
How is Bayswater? Are they reliable?

Avis and Hertz are too common.
They are okay. Much cheaper than those rental at the airport ( even when you factor in taxi both way). Also depends on how many days you rent lah

chris888222

Reaction score
They are okay. Much cheaper than those rental at the airport ( even when you factor in taxi both way). Also depends on how many days you rent lah

Yeah, their rates are really low. Considering a self drive tour around Perth for July and they seem to be the best option.

beano

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I recalled my last trip, rented from Avis for a Camry hybrid @$63/day.. without insurance. Was pretty decent..

lastkopek

Reaction score
Anyone knows what the daily rate of insurance maximum coverage for avis.

I tried getting a quote from avis krisflyer page but it does not show the extra cost.

Quasar

Reaction score
I think you can get a better idea from their page direct, just do a dummy booking:

https://www.avis.com.au/car-rental/reservation/select-car.ac

Varies based on car, but it seems to be A$28/day for full including PA cover for a corolla hatchback in Perth.

Search around for better rates, sometimes you can find very good discount codes on other travel forums. I've managed to snag $30/day nett for a standard sized Kia on hertz just in November. (That's without excess insurance but including taxes)

Last edited:

Awesom Andy

Reaction score
hmmm, anyone knows how the pickup works for the no birds rental?i am just having a quick look, seems like the pick up location is not far away...and i guess u can pick up from airport and drop off at the city office.

https://www.bayswatercarrental.com.au/Content/resources/Map-T1andT2-perthairport.pdf

Haven't tried it myself, but the pick up location isn't too much of a walk from the terminal. Bayswater is about 15mins drive away from the international terminal so the $5 per pax transfer is about the only feasible option (or you can take a cab and the driver will curse at you for taking such a short trip). If you must, I guess you can just send the driver on the shuttle, and everyone else wait around for 45 mins while you go pick up the car and come back to the airport.

lastkopek

Reaction score
After comparing rates im going for bayswater car rental.

Thier toyota fleet is not bad. Im taking the rav4 with airport pickup at additional $5.

Thanks for the reconmendations

breadie01

Reaction score
I don't think Hertz takes deposits from me either but I'm some sort of a member so the treatment might be different. Most of my rentals are with Hertz as their IT system isn't very good and I can usually get very good discounts off it. :s13:

Any good codes to share :)

jingle_babble

Reaction score
cant find any good codes around at the moment. trying to find one as well..but travel now is till 31st march.

krisflyer has the usual 15% if u go to the website.. anyone has more codes to share, feel free to chip in..

woaideren

Reaction score
Came back from my trip.
The rental experience with hertz was good, bought full cover for piece of mind.

Also, please be reminded that everybody should wear a seatbelt AT ALL TIMES.
Yes, everyone, including passengers in the backseat. Paid a hefty price to know this.($550:s22::s22::s22::s22::s22::s22::s22::s22:)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.