Creative Katana User discussion thread

To test or not to test that is the question?

• Yes, please give me your opinion.

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • Yes, don't want to spend on something that either fails or have design issues.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • No, we know you will bash Creative definetely.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Your choice, got time go test.

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I will look more into the voltage difference. Warranty wise I can take a gamble, Korean monitors user here. As for sound quality wise, I believe they should at least sound decent having used their earphones.

I still recommend you take a look at soundbar like Sony.
Sony CT180 cost around $315(CNY Promo) with local warranty.
Not sure about Xiaomi, most soundbar have music mode for
music listening.

visuallin

Reaction score
I still recommend you take a look at soundbar like Sony.
Sony CT180 cost around $315(CNY Promo) with local warranty.
Not sure about Xiaomi, most soundbar have music mode for
music listening.

Yeah ok, will look around. Music wise I'm not particular as I have a separate desktop audio setup for that. If not for space constraints I would have gone back to studio monitors. Soundbar is just to blast when I feel like it haha

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I've tested the Katana for a while at Creative's office and it's quite good.
http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/feat...sterx-katana-slices-competition-and-then-some

One thing to remember is that the Katana is designed to be an all-rounder - if you've only one audio system that you want to invest for all your listening needs, the Katana does it quite well for a sound bar product.

It's not out to challenge purpose-specific products, like a good 2.1-speaker system or bookshelf speakers, but this can come close to fulfilling all your audio needs in a room or small hall easily - especially if you've your TV and PC systems in the same room.

There are better purpose specific gear out there but at about $400, and in a sound-bar form factor for near-field and far-field listening, this does a great all-round job.

I've yet to bring it back home to see how close/far can it mimic a true home theater system that costs much more, but hopefully soon. It's not designed to challenge such categories, but from my listening, it has the potential to do so when in the right room setting.

visuallin

Reaction score
Wow Dr Vijay has spoken. Good assessment, some people like me are looking at an all rounder for both near field and not-too-far field listening. Do test it as a HTS and update us, thanks.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nice, quick quick write review lol

Done, so much to talk about so I did my best to summarize.
Any question do let me know.
Now I just want to cure my headache after an intense session
at Creative HQ. :s13:

Numbskull

Reaction score
Wow, sounds positive. Waiting for Techidiot to update us after his visit today too.

Wow Dr Vijay has spoken. Good assessment, some people like me are looking at an all rounder for both near field and not-too-far field listening. Do test it as a HTS and update us, thanks.

visuallin

Reaction score
Thanks for the indepth review! I got a few questions:

1) The subwoofer cable is permanently attached to the main soundbar? If yes, what's the estimated length of the wire?

2) Can I say that the subwoofer is side firing? Correct me if not.

3) If the woofer cable is attached, I might have to place it under my desk. That would be considered a less ideal placement even if I isolate it off the floor?

4) I have no doubt about its near-field capabilities. How about sitting some distance away from the unit, say 2m+?

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the indepth review! I got a few questions:

1) The subwoofer cable is permanently attached to the main soundbar? If yes, what's the estimated length of the wire?

2) Can I say that the subwoofer is side firing? Correct me if not.

3) If the woofer cable is attached, I might have to place it under my desk. That would be considered a less ideal placement even if I isolate it off the floor?

4) I have no doubt about its near-field capabilities. How about sitting some distance away from the unit, say 2m+?

Subwoofer cable is not premanently attached to the main soundbar
but the subwoofer.
Maybe I have to rephrase if not some may misunderstood.
If you placed under the table should be alright, estimate length
is about 2 meters+.
What I meant is why is this a concern is if they are who
don't placed it under the table but rather to the side like this.

sonyhtrt5-1l.jpg

May have issue if the distance is longer.

2) Yes side firing

3) Can't really comment unless you show me a pic of your desk
than I can advice.

4) As it's a surround sound bar, actually the further you are.
The better the experience but also depends on room size and acoustics.

Hope this helps, I will try to rephrase the cable part.

visuallin

Reaction score
Ok thanks, noted on the cable. Hopefully the end is RCA-type terminated so for users needing longer they can easily use another cable to extend?

Ok so if you say side firing means the woofer driver itself. So referring back to the last HTS picture you posted, I can just place the woofer against the wall so now the driver faces the user (from side become front) and as long as there's allowance for the ports?

Numbskull

Reaction score
From what I know, woofer as long don't block the port should be fine. Doesn't matter which way you fire it from as human ear cannot detect where sub bass come from. You can put it anywhere around you and effect should not defer much I think?

Ok thanks, noted on the cable. Hopefully the end is RCA-type terminated so for users needing longer they can easily use another cable to extend?

Ok so if you say side firing means the woofer driver itself. So referring back to the last HTS picture you posted, I can just place the woofer against the wall so now the driver faces the user (from side become front) and as long as there's allowance for the ports?

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Subwoofer cable are usually RCA cable but just that they have shielding.
No issue if you need longer just re-terminate the end will do.

For my experience and knowledge, usually the sub placement
is the driver facing front like how you place your main speakers.

From what I know, woofer as long don't block the port should be fine. Doesn't matter which way you fire it from as human ear cannot detect where sub bass come from. You can put it anywhere around you and effect should not defer much I think?

If possible not in tight spaces or even inside a cupboard.
BTW seems like Mod have merge the thread, possible to re-arrange the order by newest first than oldest?

Thanks.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For the sake of easy reading, I have edit and move my findings onto a word document hosted on my Google Drive.
If you have issue accessing the file, kindly let me know.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.