Debt consolidation Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

boiboi86

Reaction score
I think this is quite a reasonable plan compared to the old one.. not too sure about it though.. waiting for the gurus to comment

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The terms and conditions seem reasonable, but I would try to get at least a couple DCP offers to compare interest rates and terms, such as prepayment penalties and other fees.

deadlockb

Reaction score
The terms and conditions seem reasonable, but I would try to get at least a couple DCP offers to compare interest rates and terms, such as prepayment penalties and other fees.
I Think once the loan is approved , we must take that.We cant apply 2 to 3 banks at a time.

Last edited:

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I Think once the loan is approved , we must take that.
No, I don't think so. You can only have one of these DCPs, that's true, but you can certainly sit down with more than bank to understand their offers.

deadlockb

Reaction score
No, I don't think so. You can only have one of these DCPs, that's true, but you can certainly sit down with more than bank to understand their offers.
i too confused on these statements below:

PHP:
Upon approval of Debt Consolidation Plan application,
no cancellation is allowed
all existing unsecured credit facilities will be suspended/ closed

If that is the case, we have to finalize a bank before application.

strive83

Reaction score
Hi I wanted to consolidate my loans to one under debt-consolidation-plan.
https://www.abs.org.sg/consumer-banking/consumers/debt-consolidation-plan
even though all 14 banks participating, only few banks have information on their website.
also, is there any other drawbacks in consolidating loans under above plan? which bank is the best one to go for?
Thanks

Did my research

Not all participating banks offer DCP. I sent an email to all, currently awaiting reply.

Some banks offer longer repayment periods so you might want to take that into consideration.

deadlockb

Reaction score
Did my research

Not all participating banks offer DCP. I sent an email to all, currently awaiting reply.

Some banks offer longer repayment periods so you might want to take that into consideration.

i found few banks:
Citi dbs ocbc uob stabdard chart,HSBC,ANZ
May be we can have a comparison chart. Some banks are offering promotional interest rate for 1st year and vouchers too.

5 Years tenor is not so much burden and paying a bit less interest around 5*6% = 30% as Interest.
(Anyway this depends on the loan amount and Available funds for that person ).

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If that is the case, we have to finalize a bank before application.
You are free to ask for more than one DCP offer. You can sit down with a banker to understand the program, their rate, their promotion (if any), and their terms and conditions. You can listen, in other words -- and you can listen to more than one bank. You should. When you formally apply for any one of those offers, that's the one you must take if formally approved.

Your confusion seems to be that you cannot find out what the rate, terms, and conditions are before you apply -- "sign here, even though you don't know what you're signing up for." No, that's not correct. You can (and should) comparison shop. But once you have decided which offer you most prefer, you can lodge only one application. If that application is approved, then that's your DCP bank. If that application is rejected, you can make another DCP application with another bank.

There's a basic reason for this: the C in DCP, consolidation. This is a special consolidation program. You cannot double or triple up on this sort of offer.

deadlockb

Reaction score
You are free to ask for more than one DCP offer. You can sit down with a banker to understand the program, their rate, their promotion (if any), and their terms and conditions. You can listen, in other words -- and you can listen to more than one bank. You should. When you formally apply for any one of those offers, that's the one you must take if formally approved.

Your confusion seems to be that you cannot find out what the rate, terms, and conditions are before you apply -- "sign here, even though you don't know what you're signing up for." No, that's not correct. You can (and should) comparison shop. But once you have decided which offer you most prefer, you can lodge only one application. If that application is approved, then that's your DCP bank. If that application is rejected, you can make another DCP application with another bank.

There's a basic reason for this: the C in DCP, consolidation. This is a special consolidation program. You cannot double or triple up on this sort of offer.

So far , i only found 1 bank which can offer a decent rate, eventhough my ** rating is CC and amount is 15 Xmy monthly salary.When i called one bank, they told 9%+ per year( based on customer).:sad:
Dont know what is best approach to have a high success rate.?
Shall i wait for some more time or proceed with the only which offered a best rate for me?

if any bank turns down the application, will it be recorded in Credit beureu?( im giving the ** report to them ).If so, other bank will know our previous failed attempt.

Last edited:

boiboi86

Reaction score
So far , i only found 1 bank which can offer a decent rate, eventhough my ** rating is CC and amount is 15 Xmy monthly salary.When i called one bank, they told 9%+ per year( based on customer).:sad:
Dont know what is best approach to have a high success rate.?
Shall i wait for some more time or proceed with the only which offered a best rate for me?

if any bank turns down the application, will it be recorded in Credit beureu?( im giving the ** report to them ).If so, other bank will know our previous failed attempt.

which bank did you check out?

iceboar

Reaction score
the requirement is loan amount needs to be minimally 12 months of your monthly income.

i am short of a few thousand to hit the minimum. does anyone thinks its wise to take personal loan from other banks to hit the minimal loan amount? Or is it a stupid idea?

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Or is it a stupid idea?
It's a stupid idea unless you've gotten assurance that'll work, that you'll be accepted into the DCP with a rate and terms that you find acceptable. Or, at the very least, that the additional loan is at a lower interest rate than your current debt, that you hold the loan proceeds (don't spend them), and that you use those loan proceeds to pay down higher interest rate debt if you are not accepted into a more attractive DCP.

boiboi86

Reaction score
the requirement is loan amount needs to be minimally 12 months of your monthly income.

i am short of a few thousand to hit the minimum. does anyone thinks its wise to take personal loan from other banks to hit the minimal loan amount? Or is it a stupid idea?

BAD idea...

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Today i approached one bank.They quoted 12% per year .and worst part is their illustration shows: for 65k loan over 8 years---total payment will be : 226K. ( around 4 TIMES...)
and Ist Year monthly installment is 5900.( Yes !! ),second year 3k+,etc.That means ..in the first year i will pay around 70k?
Who on this earth will take that ?
Nobody, but something is clearly wrong with that math. A $65K loan at 12% interest, compounded annually, and with an 8 year term would have a monthly level payment of $1,034.65. Payments would total to $99,326.29.

To get to a $226K total payment on a $65K loan with an 8 year term the interest rate would be about 51% compounded annually or about 42% compounded monthly. Are you paying over 42% on your current debt? ;)

I would go back, find another bank employee to double check the offer and explain it more carefully, and also inquire with at least one other bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.