Compact Camera good with low light

lookingahead

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking for a compact camera for travel that is good with low light and will still function properly in cold condition. For instant, I might use it for taking photos of northern lights. My budget is ard $500. Any sharing, recommendation is welcome. TIA.

boss00

Reaction score
I up previous post. Sony RX100.. That's the most awesome compact i used before.

For super lowlight scene, better use tripod. No camera can shoot what we see. :D

lookingahead

Reaction score
Hi Both. Thanks for the recommendation on Sony RX100 but out of my budget. haa..

I up previous post. Sony RX100.. That's the most awesome compact i used before.

For super lowlight scene, better use tripod. No camera can shoot what we see. :D

cdrom85

Reaction score
You can get a used RX100 mk I from Clubsnap for about $250-300. That has got to be within your budget..

The newer editions are definitely beyond your budget. Each edition has their strengths. For example the mk I has the longest zoom range together with mk II but mk I has a built in flash which mk II does not have.

I used the RX 100 mk I when I was in NYC and Boston in late December. The camera worked like a champ and I took easily an average of 100 shots a day. Mostly jpgs with a few raws which took to processing in Lightroom quite well. I would imagine you may be subject to lower temperatures when chasing the Northern Lights but I would think the camera should still work. Just get a couple more batteries and keep them warm.

lookingahead

Reaction score
Up the post. Still RX100 the best?

Thanks cdrom85 for sharing your experience with RX100 mk I. :)

maumu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wow 9 months later u still haven't decided?

i'm also looking at a compact camera with good low light capabilities (basically, larger sensor, lower f).

have been deliberating between the rx100iii and the lumix lx100. prefer the latter but it has been out for many years and am actually hoping they will release an upgrade.

if by November no news i'll get the rx100iii...

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would get the sony a6000....

but I know is out of budget. :D

Z-sony-a6000-onHand.JPG

pwnies5600

Reaction score
+1 for the RX100. In my opinion it doesn't get better than the RX100 for small, feature packed compact cameras.
Get the I version if you need the slightly longer zoom are on a tight budget. The III version is a good balance of price for performance, plus you get a tilting screen, wifi, built in electronic viewfinder and a lens with a wider aperture (albeit slightly less zoom) for better low light performance. The IV version is if you want to splurge and get the ability to shoot 4K and super slow-mo, and the V version is essentially the IV with better autofocus.

Last edited:

lookingahead

Reaction score
wow 9 months later u still haven't decided?

i'm also looking at a compact camera with good low light capabilities (basically, larger sensor, lower f).

have been deliberating between the rx100iii and the lumix lx100. prefer the latter but it has been out for many years and am actually hoping they will release an upgrade.

if by November no news i'll get the rx100iii...

Trip was postpone. haa.

Aftershockkk

Reaction score
u can try Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ80. i have a friend whos using it. quite close to your budget as well

lookingahead

Reaction score
Hi. Just checked out sim lim for rx100 at Alan photo shop. They selling 748 for ver 3. They no longer have ver 1 & 2. Any idea where I can get the cam cheaper for ver 3 and where I can get ver 1. TIA.

lookingahead

Reaction score
Cannon G7 mark ii

Hi. Does anyone has experience with both Sony RX100 iii & Cannon g7 mark ii camera? Which is more user friendly? low light are they on par? Cannon G7 mark ii price are slightly lower than sony rx100 mark iii.

Last edited:

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.