Creative Katana User discussion thread

To test or not to test that is the question?

• Yes, please give me your opinion.

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • Yes, don't want to spend on something that either fails or have design issues.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • No, we know you will bash Creative definetely.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Your choice, got time go test.

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters

AZE

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hahaha no lah, I'm not unhappy. Of course I won't blame Creative or be pissed off with them for coming out with a new product.

You're right, the Katana may be better for movies and gaming, while the X7+EMU will be better for music (I actually got the X7+EMU for the music playback). The DSP in X7 is also very good at improving the shiok factor when gaming or watching movies.

Ideal scenario is to be able to use both sets together to enhance the overall factor but if Creative does not recommend or cannot use them together, then I guess I'll have to make a choice. The space saved if I use only the Katana is damn tempting.

EDIT: Whoa! Didn't know the Katana was previously offered on Massdrop!

Should be usable together as long as Katana has optical/line in.
Both sets have overlapping features, so it might be a waste for some ppl.

But it will be nice to hab Katana sub for music using bass redirection from X7 into Katana.:o

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Was using a Bose Cinemate 130 and the product give way and had to return product to Atlas in less than 6 months usage.

Personally haven't seen or heard the sound projecting from this product but based on the write up and Dr Bee Jay's experience looking so immersed, this product seems like the next thing to look out for.

Sent from LGE LG-H990 using GAGT

Cuz I think Dr Vijay have not heard a affordable and powerful soundbar
meant for PC hence I think he was rather excited with the Katana.
However that is his opinion, if you ask me my opinion comes from
HTS space not PC.

Anyway Katana was meant for PC use not really for HTS or power users.
BOSE I also don't like cuz their sound quality is not well recognized.
Lately I test the BOSE quietcomfort VS Sony MDR-1000X, the Sony have very musical sounding unlike the BOSE sounded like software sound. :s22:

At BOSE level, I still recommend you to take a look at Yamaha, Sony, Dali, Naim and etc. (At Adelphi, Sony is Sony Store)
Anyway if need recommendation for soundbar I can help just let me know:

1) For TV use? I suppose? How big is your TV?
2) Do you have multiple devices like Setup box, gaming console, android box and etc.
3) Do you multiple HDMI in?
4) Media that you play, what are the common format?
Dolby Digital? DTS? Dolby TrueHD/Atmos?DTS Master Audio/X?

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Was using a Bose Cinemate 130 and the product give way and had to return product to Atlas in less than 6 months usage.

Personally haven't seen or heard the sound projecting from this product but based on the write up and Dr Bee Jay's experience looking so immersed, this product seems like the next thing to look out for.

Wow, money back?

SpaceMonkey

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cuz I think Dr Vijay have not heard a affordable and powerful soundbar
meant for PC hence I think he was rather excited with the Katana.
However that is his opinion, if you ask me my opinion comes from
HTS space not PC.

Anyway Katana was meant for PC use not really for HTS or power users.
BOSE I also don't like cuz their sound quality is not well recognized.
Lately I test the BOSE quietcomfort VS Sony MDR-1000X, the Sony have very musical sounding unlike the BOSE sounded like software sound. :s22:

At BOSE level, I still recommend you to take a look at Yamaha, Sony, Dali, Naim and etc. (At Adelphi, Sony is Sony Store)
Anyway if need recommendation for soundbar I can help just let me know:

1) For TV use? I suppose? How big is your TV?
2) Do you have multiple devices like Setup box, gaming console, android box and etc.
3) Do you multiple HDMI in?
4) Media that you play, what are the common format?
Dolby Digital? DTS? Dolby TrueHD/Atmos?DTS Master Audio/X?
Hi techidiot, thank you and appreciate the knowledge you share.

I understand Katana is meant for PC and not for HTS. Because of the write up I read online and have not seen or test the product live, i can't really determine the audio spectrum for my home configuration.

The size of the this creative soundbar will make my home TV setup looks really weird because my setup in my living room is a "minimalist" setting. I'm using Sony Bravia TV 65" 8500d along with a Sony PS4. I listen to my music using Spotify premium and sometimes stream music from my laptop/mobile phone/NAS. And because newer home these days are really small, thus, adding a 2.1 bookshelf speakers may not be ideal. Hence, given the limited space I have and also to optimise the audio experience, a powerful soundbar will make my home a lot more colourful.

Which soundbar would u recommend? Thanks!

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi techidiot, thank you and appreciate the knowledge you share.

I understand Katana is meant for PC and not for HTS. Because of the write up I read online and have not seen or test the product live, i can't really determine the audio spectrum for my home configuration.

The size of the this creative soundbar will make my home TV setup looks really weird because my setup in my living room is a "minimalist" setting. I'm using Sony Bravia TV 65" 8500d along with a Sony PS4. I listen to my music using Spotify premium and sometimes stream music from my laptop/mobile phone/NAS. And because newer home these days are really small, thus, adding a 2.1 bookshelf speakers may not be ideal. Hence, given the limited space I have and also to optimise the audio experience, a powerful soundbar will make my home a lot more colourful.

Which soundbar would u recommend? Thanks!

Depending on your budget and since you have a rather big 65" TV,
if you have budget go for AVR with 5.1 speaker (Cheapest one is around $1k but it may not match the TV very well, decent one will cost around $2k.)

Soundbar wise really depend on your budget but of cuz soundbar is a compact solution.
According to Sony compatible chart, for X8500D the soundbar that is compatible is from CT790 onwards.

However since you also want music which not most soundbar can do well with music.
Sony HT-NT5 (High resolution music certified) you can consider ($1.1k) or
Sony HT-ST9 (High resolution music certified).

This two models are meant for music so don't really need a bookshelf setup.
There are other soundbars you can consider like Yamaha YSP 5600 so these are the few models you can try out at retail stores.
Main thing when you are asking recommendation, the sales person will also ask what is the size of your TV for optimal sound projection and of cuz your usage.

Cheapest soundbar will be CT790 at $7XX, soundbar like Sony one support wireless stream and multi-room. Multi-room means if you intend to buy portable speaker later time(Same brand only), you can stream from one room to another.

Hope this helps.

SpaceMonkey

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depending on your budget and since you have a rather big 65" TV,
if you have budget go for AVR with 5.1 speaker (Cheapest one is around $1k but it may not match the TV very well, decent one will cost around $2k.)

Soundbar wise really depend on your budget but of cuz soundbar is a compact solution.
According to Sony compatible chart, for X8500D the soundbar that is compatible is from CT790 onwards.

However since you also want music which not most soundbar can do well with music.
Sony HT-NT5 (High resolution music certified) you can consider ($1.1k) or
Sony HT-ST9 (High resolution music certified).

This two models are meant for music so don't really need a bookshelf setup.
There are other soundbars you can consider like Yamaha YSP 5600 so these are the few models you can try out at retail stores.
Main thing when you are asking recommendation, the sales person will also ask what is the size of your TV for optimal sound projection and of cuz your usage.

Cheapest soundbar will be CT790 at $7XX, soundbar like Sony one support wireless stream and multi-room. Multi-room means if you intend to buy portable speaker later time(Same brand only), you can stream from one room to another.

Hope this helps.
There are so many gadgets these days and taking off to visit audio shops is so limited these days, I am grateful for your time replying and sharing your valuable insights.

Thank you so much!

I wish you and your family a prosperous in health and wealth this Lunar New Year.

Huatness be with you.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are so many gadgets these days and taking off to visit audio shops is so limited these days, I am grateful for your time replying and sharing your valuable insights.

Thank you so much!

I wish you and your family a prosperous in health and wealth this Lunar New Year.

Huatness be with you.

You too, it's OK that is why I like to play with Audio toys.
Even I also hardly got time to really sit inside a demo room
and test almost all sorts of equipment.

The Creative Katana has broke my record for the most time
spend on 1 and I mean 1 equipment alone.
The time spend I may have walk out of Adelphi already. :s13:

Numbskull

Reaction score
:s13: Is that a good thing or bad thing?

You too, it's OK that is why I like to play with Audio toys.
Even I also hardly got time to really sit inside a demo room
and test almost all sorts of equipment.

The Creative Katana has broke my record for the most time
spend on 1 and I mean 1 equipment alone.
The time spend I may have walk out of Adelphi already. :s13:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
:s13: Is that a good thing or bad thing?

Treat it like job interview, longer it is it means good.
However like i mention Katana is both hardware and software.
Be getting the demo unit today to wrap things up.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nice lifehack! Was planning to get some floor sound foam for my next sub haha

:D, actually if you want a simple floor sound foam.
Can go Popular and buy a Styrofoam and cut according to your
sub size.
Proper one will have to get from Amazon and they are actually
called isolation pad.

visuallin

Reaction score
Yeah isolation pad or feet, we'll see. Got the creative email, $58 off Katana! Quite tempting at $361... I think the local IT shows might be cheaper?

Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah isolation pad or feet, we'll see. Got the creative email, $58 off Katana! Quite tempting at $361... I think the local IT shows might be cheaper?

Really depend on you whether you want to hoot now or later.
IT Show I think not much difference expect maybe bundle
with something.
Up to you.
Be updating soon, gosh this Katana is something worth playing with.
Thank you Creative for lending me this, maybe I won't return. :D

xuan87

Reaction score
Really depend on you whether you want to hoot now or later.
IT Show I think not much difference expect maybe bundle
with something.
Up to you.
Be updating soon, gosh this Katana is something worth playing with.
Thank you Creative for lending me this, maybe I won't return. :D

IT show might have cheaper prices, but there will be alot more bundles, which might work out cheaper if there is another creative product that you're aiming for.

koroshiya8

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Katana is strictly recommended only for PC/Desktop where you sit close and directly in front of it.
if you use it for TV it would really sound too narrow and not have a good overall experience.

Numbskull

Reaction score
I usually play show on pc then go and lie on bed and enjoy with my Katana. Sounds good enough for me, not sure what kind of high end system you are comparing it with :eek:

Katana is strictly recommended only for PC/Desktop where you sit close and directly in front of it.
if you use it for TV it would really sound too narrow and not have a good overall experience.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I usually play show on pc then go and lie on bed and enjoy with my Katana. Sounds good enough for me, not sure what kind of high end system you are comparing it with :eek:

The same speaker will have different frequency response when placed in rooms of different sizes and distances. If don't believe just try putting your computer speakers in the living room.

That's why speakers come in different sizes, even for studio and commercial applications.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Different products are design with a application in mind.
Yes Katana does loud but like some had quoted that
Katana is best if you sit close to it (probably up to 1m)

1m is still quite far but TV wise for those unfamiliar.
Usually recommend distance starts from 1.3m for 32 inch that
is why I quote for this size you can try the Katana.

But 40inch above you are better off with HTS and of cuz
60 inch AVR setup.
Yes there are some only willingly to spend more money
on the TV but save on the sound which is a bad decision.

Like Cinema, if they put a really big screen in a big room but
small/low powered doubt you can enjoy it.
TV and sound are equally important if not like a Chinese
say "One big, one small.".

That is why some HTS manufacturer they list of compatible
soundbar for certain inch TVs.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.