Secure your Router - DIR-868L

Fellowes

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
US Firmware 1.12 works just fine

Use v1.07SHC, router keep having issue and keep showing "resolving host" after entering the URL (Using Google DNS) and took awhile to even load the website, downgraded to v1.06SHC but the firmware is older thus security patch is older, in the end upgrade to the worldwide v1.12 (missing parental controls setting) but still having slow loading on URL on my 1Gbps Homehub plan. Either show "connecting" or "resolving host" for more than 15sec before the site is being loaded.

StarHub should seriously change the default router to at least DIR-880L or change to Asus RT-AC68U or give us the newer Rev.B1 hardware version of the DIR-868L, this router is a piece of crap.

Last edited:

Fellowes

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1.What DNS are you using ?
2.What is the MTU size set on the router ?

1. Google DNS 8.8.8.8.
2. Your recommendation 1398.

Called starhub 1633 at 1pm and 2pm trying to resolve the "Resolving host" issue, in the end also the same.

1. Change to another new DIR-868L router given by starhub default come with v1.06SHC firmware and reconfigure, still having issue with the network, ping google request time out, after awhile continue pinging then request timeout again (when it show requesting time out, my broswer if type any valid url for example: "Google.com" will not load immediately, it will show "Resolving host" after awhile "connecting" then after like 20 to 30s Google.com is display (ping will then be recevied) on my 1Gbps fibre plan. Sigh!

2. Change my ONT to router with new LAN cable, change new LAN cable from router to laptop still the same and wifi connection, having intermittent connection issue. In the end, tested plug in direct ONT to laptop no issue at all, conclusion is 100% ONT no issue, it's either the Dlink router (2 same model same issue??) or Starhub backend really screw up.

Going to Google.com...."Resolving host"
Screen%20Shot%202017-01-31%20at%203.18.29%20PM_zpstwcjnghd.png

Going to some other website..."Connecting"
Screen%20Shot%202017-01-31%20at%203.30.33%20PM_zpsol4nto1d.png

I already FB PM starhub regarding this issue, requesting their technical team to come down and check, no reply yet.

Last edited:

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score
It looks like your issue and mine are the same. I RMA both my router. Now running smooth.

I suspect either firmware issue or starhub network engineer changes something. Else cannot be 1st router used for 2 years no issue , suddenly 2nd contract this kind of issue pops up.

Last edited:

Fellowes

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It looks like your issue and mine are the same. I RMA both my router. Now running smooth.

I suspect either firmware issue or starhub network engineer changes something. Else cannot be 1st router used for 2 years no issue , suddenly 2nd contract this kind of issue pops up.

StarHub Manager called me, they sending technician to collect a new Dlink router from Dlink then come my house with all new ONT and cables this weekend to check on the issue though need to pay $12 delivery fee.

The ping from google.com using Dlink router, weird part is direct from ONT also not a single issue.
4lZjPCd.jpg

Now I using my old Asus N66U, totally no issue at all, no resolving host issue, ping google also all reply, not a single time out too!

Last edited:

ahber79

Reaction score
StarHub Manager called me, they sending technician to collect a new Dlink router from Dlink then come my house with all new ONT and cables this weekend to check on the issue though need to pay $12 delivery fee.

The ping from google.com using Dlink router, weird part is direct from ONT also not a single issue.
4lZjPCd.jpg

Now I using my old Asus N66U, totally no issue at all, no resolving host issue, ping google also all reply, not a single time out too!

Can screenshot your manual internet setup page on your dlink router?

kiwi73

Reaction score
This should be relatively easy to troubleshoot.
Can you perform a traceroute to 8.8.8.8 via a terminal window and note down the various hops in your path. When the ping to googles link stops responding can you start pinging each IP address in the traceroute path and see where it gets a reply and where it times out. I would hope that you would at least get a ICMP reply from your first hop router located in the SP's network. If your not even getting to first hop then can you ping your default gateway which is your local Dlink router?

theking_smen

Reaction score
Thanks TS for this thread.... Updated my 868L to the 1.12 firmware...now internet connection seems much smoother compared to the old firmware...

Phumba

Reaction score
I was wondering if there were more DIR-868L Rev A download sites than the following;

Singapore - MyDlink Support - Firmware Version 1.06SHC
https://sg.mydlink.com/download#

Taiwan - Dlink Main Download Page Firmware Version 1.10
http://tsd.dlink.com.tw/downloads2007.asp

USA - Dlink - Firmware Version 1.09B08
http://support.dlink.com/

Singapore - Starhub Dlink Page - Firmware Version 1.07
http://www.dlink.com.sg/starhub/

Also, has US removed the V1.12 firmware that has been used by some bros here?

theking_smen

Reaction score
I was wondering if there were more DIR-868L Rev A download sites than the following;

Singapore - MyDlink Support - Firmware Version 1.06SHC
https://sg.mydlink.com/download#

Taiwan - Dlink Main Download Page Firmware Version 1.10
http://tsd.dlink.com.tw/downloads2007.asp

USA - Dlink - Firmware Version 1.09B08
http://support.dlink.com/

Singapore - Starhub Dlink Page - Firmware Version 1.07
http://www.dlink.com.sg/starhub/

Also, has US removed the V1.12 firmware that has been used by some bros here?

I remember downloading the 1.12 firmware through a forum... I couldn't find it on the Dlink sites too...

chris30j

Reaction score
New (or old?) March 2017 firmware "1.09 SHC" found at website www dot dlink dot com dot sg slash starhub
Is it safe to use it? Anyone using? Please give feedback if you do use it. US website also have a new March 2017 firmware version "1.12 b04". Very confusing. Appreciate your replies. Thank you.

Phumba

Reaction score
New (or old?) March 2017 firmware "1.09 SHC" found at website www dot dlink dot com dot sg slash starhub
Is it safe to use it? Anyone using?

Thanks for the info. No description of what are the changes for this F/W in the file.

Filename: DIR-868L FW 109SHC Release Note (Pls read first)

Release Note Firmware 1.09SHC

Enhanced Security: DIR-868L router's web interface login password will be the same as the WIFI "DEFAULT" password IF user choose to do a factory reset on the router (WIFI DEFAULT password can be found on the white label located at the base of the router)

Note:

For user upgrading from firmware 1.03SHC and below to firmware 1.09SHC, the router will automatically do a factory reset after successful upgrade

Take note that all configuration will be lost after the factory reset.

Anyone going first? Do let us know. ;):s13:

chris30j

Reaction score
Just tried the US Dlink's support website that shows the 1.12b04 firmware posted on 16th March 2017. However, after uploading, i find it is the same <<Firmware Version : 1.12 Thu 22 Sep 2016>> as mentioned by "theking_smen" and "hk7310" early this year 2017 (which i have no problem with for the past 2-3 months). i am not able to post screen-shots as i do not have enough posts.

Last edited:

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. No description of what are the changes for this F/W in the file.

Filename: DIR-868L FW 109SHC Release Note (Pls read first)

Release Note Firmware 1.09SHC

Enhanced Security: DIR-868L router's web interface login password will be the same as the WIFI "DEFAULT" password IF user choose to do a factory reset on the router (WIFI DEFAULT password can be found on the white label located at the base of the router)

Note:

For user upgrading from firmware 1.03SHC and below to firmware 1.09SHC, the router will automatically do a factory reset after successful upgrade

Take note that all configuration will be lost after the factory reset.

Anyone going first? Do let us know. ;):s13:

Updated to 1.09SHC.

chris30j

Reaction score
We seems to be getting "hand-me-down" firmware vs. the Dlink's US support site. For example, after US Dlink's posted their newer firmware version 1.12, then we get to have the previous firmware version 1.09 for StarHub Customer (SHC).

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this firmware will help those ppl with the intermitten connection issues.

LemonT

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's encouraged to always update to the latest firmware for routers.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.