whats that? :s11:

here is my last contribution to the post. period :D

400px-M2_Edge_Connector_Keying.svg.png

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
here is my last contribution to the post. period :D

400px-M2_Edge_Connector_Keying.svg.png

well actually i mean like the length though. like 2241, 2280 etc that kind as well. but still this is also a good reference when choosing a m.2 ssd.

Mclairs83

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Find me a <$1000 notebook that has both an M.2 slot for an SSD and a SATA port for a 2.5" HDD.

dont rubbish la. u use laptop to store so many files for fug?

want to store alot of big files, go freaking get a NAS.

AS1

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
coming from AS1. i'm surprised.

well im more practical and a hype cynic. Its one thing to see numbers and graphical charts and another to actually use it.

Thus far for what I do, can't really discern any difference. The gpu handles the steam games, the CPU handles the premiere rendering and photoshop realtime editing, the bus and clock handles the bandwith with ram doing the files. But then again, my desktop is Frankenstein monster with parts salvaged from buy n sell..more fun in my opinion with money saved for batam getaway.

Thus far, the main difference for my rig is slower startup time and shutdown time but only by a few minutes. Not like last time where can make coffee before pc will go into windows. If i was to guess, hdd read write tech must have considerably improved in the years since my last hdd.

One thing about ssd is that it is difficult juggling space between ssd and hdd unless super diligent in file management. For a long term pc and die die must use ssd, minimum is 512gb otherwise just go hdd. Even 256gb will hit a space bottleneck sooner than later depending on the applications installed.

Definitely there will be real time benefits to using ssd but depends on the application. There are games that may go slightly faster but given a choice of upgrading gpu or changing to ssd, it's the gpu upgrade that will give the best performance boost for the dollar. Especially those doing budget builds for autocad, illustrator and etc.

Last edited:

Allanlee82

Reaction score
but what you store in the 8tb of yours?
why not a separate nas for storage?
i using a 250gb ssd for my system and cannot even finish it, although i also had a spare 750gb hdd but it almost has no data in it. haha
all my movies/picture/music is store in the nas which can be shared/stream/DLNA to almost everywhere without switching on my comp

most of my parts are also used, including the nas

AS1

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
but what you store in the 8tb of yours?
why not a separate nas for storage?
i using a 250gb ssd for my system and cannot even finish it, although i also had a spare 750gb hdd but it almost has no data in it. haha
all my movies/picture/music is store in the nas which can be shared/stream/DLNA to almost everywhere without switching on my comp

most of my parts are also used, including the nas

The main culprits being Windows OS and it's updates, Adobe software and projects as well as softwares root files die die must saved into c: folder. Microsoft Office is also a beast that is getting fatter with each update.

In my case, I leave my desktop on so that I can remote control when required. Mine used to be NAS but since doing this, changed to just a normal hdd file storage array connected to it.

Last edited:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The only main difference is boot up and shut down time in my opinion. Once inside windows, cant really feel any real world difference even when doing video rendering or real time photo editing work.

So now with 4TB of space as well as another 4TB as scratch drive, what is space constraint. :s13:

Not just booting and shut down time. Every application installed on an SSD launches significantly faster than on a mechanical drive due to the low response time. Application installation also benefits from the consistent write speed. Even when using an old Intel G2 SSD, you can certainly feel the difference.

The benefit may not be obvious once you start the application though. Another observation is that OS installed on an SSD is less likely to suffer a bad slowdown after prolong usage without reformatting Windows. I don't reformat or consider reformatting my computer as often as I used to when using a mechanical drive.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The main culprits being Windows OS and it's updates, Adobe software and projects as well as softwares root files die die must saved into c: folder. Microsoft Office is also a beast that is getting fatter with each update.

In my case, I leave my desktop on so that I can remote control when required. Mine used to be NAS but since doing this, changed to just a normal hdd file storage array connected to it.

I am not aware that Windows and Office takes up that much space. You could disable some features like those backups to save space. So far, my SSDs with quite a number of applications installed, never hit the 50% mark. Even my company laptop with a 180GB SSD is still chugging along well with 70GB of space left after 2.5 years. It depends on usage patterns, but I don't think MS products really take up that much space.

AS1

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup just need to wait slightly longer for a program or app to start. Unless it's a life or death situation that a app/program must start immediately in which case, my system is the wrong build for such a scenario.

Other than that, works great. See if by mid year anyone will let go of a 670 cheap. :)

Mclairs83

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
well im more practical and a hype cynic. Its one thing to see numbers and graphical charts and another to actually use it.

Thus far for what I do, can't really discern any difference. The gpu handles the steam games, the CPU handles the premiere rendering and photoshop realtime editing, the bus and clock handles the bandwith with ram doing the files. But then again, my desktop is Frankenstein monster with parts salvaged from buy n sell..more fun in my opinion with money saved for batam getaway.

Thus far, the main difference for my rig is slower startup time and shutdown time but only by a few minutes. Not like last time where can make coffee before pc will go into windows. If i was to guess, hdd read write tech must have considerably improved in the years since my last hdd.

One thing about ssd is that it is difficult juggling space between ssd and hdd unless super diligent in file management. For a long term pc and die die must use ssd, minimum is 512gb otherwise just go hdd. Even 256gb will hit a space bottleneck sooner than later depending on the applications installed.

Definitely there will be real time benefits to using ssd but depends on the application. There are games that may go slightly faster but given a choice of upgrading gpu or changing to ssd, it's the gpu upgrade that will give the best performance boost for the dollar. Especially those doing budget builds for autocad, illustrator and etc.

Well let's be real over here. If you can't afford a SSD or can't bear to part your money for SSD. then just don't come to forums and claim that HDD is more superior than SSD. telling people bullcrap logic that once you in Windows everything is the same.

when you have a 7200rpm HDD, no matter how much "cache" you have. you STILL lose to SSD in terms of speed and read.

My corporate customers nowadays are demanding. telling me, how come buy the latest i7 processor with 16gb ram and doing trading with multiple windows are STILL slow.

After changing a SSD for them. they couldn't thank me enough that the performance improve at least 40% for them.

Well let's be real over here. in the past, a game are only a few mb. Now we have 20gb at least?

technology improved, textures are nicer. engine are more complex now, the AI in game all this need SPACE.

Same as for MS Office. For sure, u still can use a MS Office 2003. which probably only eat your space like 600mb? or even use Adobe Acrobat 7.0 (still support Windows 7) and use it?

My personal laptop used for work and source code builds. 260GB used and growing daily.
2l58o5.png

there is such thing called external drive. just in case you can't think at that moment.

hg_wng

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
inb4 thread lock. Everyone will have different storage needs, and hence different solutions that work for them. This is a fact that will never change, why can't people just recognise this instead of trying to tell others what they should do? I don't agree with the OP but this thread is going OT.

Mclairs83

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

well no problem.

i do as well. got 500gb and 960gb to play around with. :s13: SSD nowadays are affordable. unlike the times where i bought my first SSD Intel X25M 80gb at $375.

people still say i'm crazy. :s13:

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What... There's no reason why one cannot store huge amounts of data on his own primary drive? Like that all ssds should be capped at 120gb and a hard drives must be in a nas...

I myself have 2 ssds, 3 hdds and another 3 hdds in an NAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.