Do u feel Pri 1 kids need tuition?

happy.milk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I thought it wasn't needed until my child just went to primary school... every week get spelling and 听写, need to buy extra textbooks to prepare for his classes as he's expected to know how to read all the words, maths already beyond addition....

and it's only just his first month in school.... wtf...........

Which pri skool?

Sent from Milk Aunt using GAGT

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My family is the peranakan type that cannot speak or read mandarin well. Kids start chinese enrichment classes from 18 months. Home enviroment speaks english and the tv is in multiple languages except mandarin

Actually start k1 or what is good. Make the kid sit down and concentrate. Pri Schools gonna make them do it anyway and some kids culture shock or branded naughty by the teachers because they cannot sit down and adapt fast enough. So you start early they got more time to adapt. Your pockets must be infinitely deep tho for all the fees.

Sent from Samsung SM-N910G using GAGT

disavowed

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't understand why nowadays parents so ganchiong. I was pri 1 in year 2001, the amount of content increased since then?

SGuy1976

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For those with young kids, spend 15 minutes a day during K1 and K2 reading bedtime stories together with the kids. By P1, they should be able to read by themselves simple books. If you are able to do this, keeping up in school should not be too difficult. The maths needs basic reading skills. Mother tongue is up to your own prioritisation.

If you missed that, you will need at least one hour every weekday for 3-6 months to supervise their homework. This is where parents due to panic or laziness, outsource the homework supervision to tuition. A lot depends on the student care centre, there are some more responsible ones that will actively supervise the homework.

The current situation is due to the marketing efforts of the American style experiential learning of the premium kindergartens, the extremely lax childcare centres which together had started to cut the enrolment rates at PAP community foundation kindergartens. To boost enrolment, individual PCF centres started modifying their curriculum to be more interactive and less tough. If you are looking for someone to blame, look in the mirror. It's because of previous parents voting with their wallets that led to this.

Why do you think MOE started kindergartens and sponsoring non PCF kindergartens. MOE used to just issue guidelines of learning outcomes. But because sinkies parents started to skew the incentives. MOE bobian have to step in to regulate. The problem should be eliminated in 3-6 years. If you want to ensure that your child is properly educated by play, enrol in the MOE kindergartens.

01asdf

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most of this type of "tuition" is simply homework supervision.

"Pei tai zi du shu"

Save your money and sit by the kid yourself instead of vegging out pcw on EDMW.

koolaid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i didnt send my kid for any tuition till nao and he is the gep program.

but if your kids need it, why not?

invigo79

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For those with young kids, spend 15 minutes a day during K1 and K2 reading bedtime stories together with the kids. By P1, they should be able to read by themselves simple books. If you are able to do this, keeping up in school should not be too difficult. The maths needs basic reading skills. Mother tongue is up to your own prioritisation.

If you missed that, you will need at least one hour every weekday for 3-6 months to supervise their homework. This is where parents due to panic or laziness, outsource the homework supervision to tuition. A lot depends on the student care centre, there are some more responsible ones that will actively supervise the homework.

The current situation is due to the marketing efforts of the American style experiential learning of the premium kindergartens, the extremely lax childcare centres which together had started to cut the enrolment rates at PAP community foundation kindergartens. To boost enrolment, individual PCF centres started modifying their curriculum to be more interactive and less tough. If you are looking for someone to blame, look in the mirror. It's because of previous parents voting with their wallets that led to this.

Why do you think MOE started kindergartens and sponsoring non PCF kindergartens. MOE used to just issue guidelines of learning outcomes. But because sinkies parents started to skew the incentives. MOE bobian have to step in to regulate. The problem should be eliminated in 3-6 years. If you want to ensure that your child is properly educated by play, enrol in the MOE kindergartens.
I send my kids to sparkle tots (pcf). I find it insufficient if you want to prepare your kids for P1.

Either parents actively teach (at least 1 hour per day for english, chinese & maths) or send for enrichment classes.

Sent from From Home using GAGT

ramlee

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
Not at all. But parental involvement during these key learning years is important. Reading with the kids, lots of play and activities.

開玩笑! :(

Work so hard to provide for them steel must spent time doing all these with them? :(

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Well said. In my sisters case its too busy. My mum and maid look after in the day but my mum where she was strict with my sister and me is lax with my niece. Maid doesnt teach this gen but was strict with me at pri 1.

My sis is the kind that works till 11pm kind though now that the kid is k2 she picks her up by 7.30pm . She can be considered a high flyer .

Niece is k2 now and all they can do is complain how stubborn she is.

When at age 3 she was more malleable it would have been the perfect time to do flash cards with her instead of letting her youtube and tv because mother and maid were lazy. Its not that the niece is dumb she has photographic memory when she puts her mind to it.

I didnt even know how to write my own name until the night before pri 1 in 1990. Straightened out at pri 2 thou

But kids cant afford to do that nowadays.

Sent from Samsung SM-N910G using GAGT

iammole

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Reading is the key. If child can't read, there will be lots of problems.

1) maths can't do coz can't understand e.g "Bala has twice as many marbles"
2) quiet reading time can't sit still coz can't read. of coz bored
3) spelling will fail
4) add in Chinese spelling lagi fail.
5) reading book list unable to fill

sunsetbay

Reaction score
I thought it wasn't needed until my child just went to primary school... every week get spelling and 听写, need to buy extra textbooks to prepare for his classes as he's expected to know how to read all the words, maths already beyond addition....

and it's only just his first month in school.... wtf...........

I rembr my son during his K1, K2 already have spelling and 听写~ by the time he went P1, it wasn't that bad for him~ 🙄

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.