Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does this mean I can use its antenna as passive if can receive all channels well? While plug in to a usb port made it become active antenna?

Depend on the signal coverage at your location. In my case, I have no problem receiving just by reusing back the coaxial cable with its end located near the windows.

As for the Akira STB, the provided antenna look different from the demo unit I saw. Also the active antenna comes with it own power apply so it may not be able to tap power from TV USB port.

suuhhc

Reaction score
Depend on the signal coverage at your location. In my case, I have no problem receiving just by reusing back the coaxial cable with its end located near the windows.

As for the Akira STB, the provided antenna look different from the demo unit I saw. Also the active antenna comes with it own power apply so it may not be able to tap power from TV USB port.

Thanks. Hopefully someone who own the Akira STB can shed more light into this. If the antenna must use the STB usb port for power like what is written in the blog post, it is really silly - can't plug in usb drive for recording & look ugly.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Hopefully someone who own the Akira STB can shed more light into this. If the antenna must use the STB usb port for power like what is written in the blog post, it is really silly - can't plug in usb drive for recording & look ugly.

If it tap from STB USB port then it getting power from TV USB port should be the same thing.

Why do you even want to consider Akira STB in the first place?

suuhhc

Reaction score
If it tap from STB USB port then it getting power from TV USB port should be the same thing.

If tap from TV usb port, can't record programs when TV is off, right?

Plan to buy for parent. Seem that K2 spoilage rate is quite high & they also prefer branded one, they think will be more stable.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If tap from TV usb port, can't record programs when TV is off, right?

Plan to buy for parent. Seem that K2 spoilage rate is quite high & they also prefer branded one, they think will be more stable.

Well, that's true.

Where you got the info regarding K2? No idea if branded STB would indeed be more stable and last longer. There are other branded one costing much less than Akira, like Uraku for example.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Some STB supply 5v directly on the antenna socket. So there is no need for a additional power supply or USB port. So check the antenna type carefully. Those antenna get supply from antenna socket cannot be use for TV.

bbbbb8

Reaction score

I am using the Akira set and I had to use the USB port as well like in the blog post. Otherwise zero signal. I as well live on lower floors.

But regarding the active and passive antenna, what's the difference? Stronger signal?

Most of the antenna I saw at say Sim Lim square comes without separate power.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some STB supply 5v directly on the antenna socket. So there is no need for a additional power supply or USB port. So check the antenna type carefully. Those antenna get supply from antenna socket cannot be use for TV.

I'm well aware of the former. As for the latter, there is such a device called power-inserter that connect between the antenna and TV, and tap power from either TV USB port or external power adapter.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am using the Akira set and I had to use the USB port as well like in the blog post. Otherwise zero signal. I as well live on lower floors.

But regarding the active and passive antenna, what's the difference? Stronger signal?

Active antenna come with additional signal amplifier to boost weak signal.

LauHiLo

Reaction score
I bought the K2 DVB-T2 box from Q10:

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/NEW-K2-PLUS-SPRING-SINGAPORE-RIGISTERED-POWER-ADAPTER-2016-NEW/425687059

Any idea where I can find the latest firmware update?

Thanks in advance.

What's your current version?

The System Info is:
Model: GHANA
SW Version: 20150312V4.0
HW Version: 7T01836650

For this version, I cannot find Singapore under the Country list in the setup screen. (Note: I have seen similar screens shots where Singapore is shown in this screen).

To overcome the above when auto-tuning the TV, I just select Malaysia or Ghana and it will tune to the MediaCorp HD channels.

So, does anyone know where I can find the latest firmware for the K2 STB which uses the Mstar MSD7T01 chipset?

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From Sinho I presumed.

The thingy with all these firmware, they don't include the changelog! What version is this?

Doesn't matter, found the answer. It's 20150728V4.0, can upgrade your STB model to Singapore from Ghana.

suuhhc

Reaction score

Thanks for the info.

LauHiLo

Reaction score
What's your current version?

The System Info is:
Model: GHANA
SW Version: 20150312V4.0
HW Version: 7T01836650

For this version, I cannot find Singapore under the Country list in the setup screen. (Note: I have seen similar screens shots where Singapore is shown in this screen).

To overcome the above when auto-tuning the TV, I just select Malaysia or Ghana and it will tune to the MediaCorp HD channels.

So, does anyone know where I can find the latest firmware for the K2 STB which uses the Mstar MSD7T01 chipset?

I got this K2 software/firmware back in May 2016. Download the bin file into USB drive and follow the instructions attached accordingly.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8smdja3l4m8asbb/DVB-T2-software.zip

Doesn't matter, found the answer. It's 20150728V4.0, can upgrade your STB model to Singapore from Ghana.

Thanks to honestguy for the quick reply and providing the firmware.
Thanks to albertlee for providing the version of the firmware.

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
planning to get a TV with a built-in DVB-T2 digital tuner. any recommendation on an indoor antenna to go with it?

cyrilng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For those who are looking for a dvbt2 twin tuner there's the Humax HDR2000T with built in HDD which can record two different channels simultaneously as well as watch one channel while recording another (or playback as well probably). Anyone tried it?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262338732450

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.