Do u feel Pri 1 kids need tuition?

miraxx

Banned
Reaction score
Primary schools dont have time to teach your child to read. That's your responsibility. If your child has learning difficulties - it's your job to identify them and get intervention.

Goodshot

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depends, if ur kid are retard how to tui him also no use

Ponpon830

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is ur nephew finding his studies hard now?

That day he told his frd to shut up. I told him cannot like that. Asked him whether he kw what is respect. He told me his teacher taught him abt respect, responsibility and paying attention. He told me teacher said paying attention is very important. Focus is not so important. I asked him he kw wat is focus or not? He put his hand in front of his chest n twiddled his fingers, told me like that is focus. Then he asked me wanna see how zombie focus? I said ok. He looked upward, showing only the white part of his eyes and twiddled his fingers.

Dnt think he need tuition yet.

CoricopatXu

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No way. Six hours in school isn't enough? Let the children live a little, be it playing soccer or going for wushu classes (if they're interested in that) or playing music (if they have a passion for it).

My mum taught in a local JC when we were growing up, but none of us had a lick of tuition growing up. Parents firmly believed that the pace of mainstream schooling should be manageable enough, and that tuition was for the behkan- or ONLY as a temporary boost to get you back up to scratch if you missed school for three months because of mono or something. Never a part of life.

We all turned out pretty well in the end, I guess.

I do agree with the other poster who said that teaching a child to read is a parent's responsibility, not the teacher's. Same for seeking early intervention. My boy has high functioning ASD, but was diagnosed early and given due therapy. He's flourishing in a mainstream kindy now, and learning to read.

CoricopatXu

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
15-30 min of bedtime reading a day with your preschooler is NOT a hardship (indeed it's the best part of the day for most kids and parents) and this should stave off many problems in school.

Numeracy skills are taught on the go, eg taking the lift, at the supermarket, measuring out water, flour at home when cooking, in any natural situation when you encounter numbers.

Taking the lift can be fun. Dont have to go direct to 8th floor, ask you kid to press button for 2 floors lower, or 5 floors higher. This mimics the kind of math taught in primary school. How long does this take? Can a tutor do this? plus, kids love pressing lift buttons.

I find most sinkie parents are too damn lazy. Can keep taking kids to malls and and restaurants and waste so much time on useless enrichment courses but cant do basic stuff with their kids.

Music lessons are the only things that I might shell out money for.

#starfall website is good for phonetic reading.

Btw, I did lots of these activities with my nieces and nephews (my sisters were too busy!) and it gave me a great relationship with the kids.

I am a tutor but I tutor much older kids.

OMG, this!! I'm not a perfect parent but I've told myself that when I'm home, I'll parent- why have kids if I'm not prepared to spend time with them? It doesn't have to be fancy or complex; you don't have to study Montessori pedagogy to educate a child. Incidental learning is always best.

I remember teaching my son his numbers as we buttoned up his shirts, counting each button as we went along; teaching him about left and right as he learned to put on his shoes etc. Our parents did the same thing with us when we were growing up, especially my mum.

Make it a part of your daily routine and you won't find it a chore. We have children's books all over the house for him to flip through whenever he wants, and we make a point to read to him whenever we can, especially before bed. A children's book is generally under 20 pages, and takes all of 5-10 minutes to read. It's no biggie at all.

nokiatech

Reaction score
maybe I just have different point of view with regards towards educating my child...
the current MOE system won't work for my boy.... but since he's in SG... not much choice....

There are choices ;
There are true international schools around Singapore , just pick one .

No point to let a child undergo all the excessive stress going through our education system .

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tuition for f

End up only 30% of the cohort can enter uni anyway

ramlee

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
15-30 min of bedtime reading a day with your preschooler is NOT a hardship (indeed it's the best part of the day for most kids and parents) and this should stave off many problems in school.

Numeracy skills are taught on the go, eg taking the lift, at the supermarket, measuring out water, flour at home when cooking, in any natural situation when you encounter numbers.

Taking the lift can be fun. Dont have to go direct to 8th floor, ask you kid to press button for 2 floors lower, or 5 floors higher. This mimics the kind of math taught in primary school. How long does this take? Can a tutor do this? plus, kids love pressing lift buttons.

I find most sinkie parents are too damn lazy. Can keep taking kids to malls and and restaurants and waste so much time on useless enrichment courses but cant do basic stuff with their kids.

Music lessons are the only things that I might shell out money for.

#starfall website is good for phonetic reading.

Btw, I did lots of these activities with my nieces and nephews (my sisters were too busy!) and it gave me a great relationship with the kids.

I am a tutor but I tutor much older kids.

No wonder there are so many lift problems nowsaday :(

MegatonNev

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are choices ;
There are true international schools around Singapore , just pick one .

No point to let a child undergo all the excessive stress going through our education system .
can't afford so it's not a choice... lol....

miraxx

Banned
Reaction score
No way. Six hours in school isn't enough? Let the children live a little, be it playing soccer or going for wushu classes (if they're interested in that) or playing music (if they have a passion for it).

My mum taught in a local JC when we were growing up, but none of us had a lick of tuition growing up. Parents firmly believed that the pace of mainstream schooling should be manageable enough, and that tuition was for the behkan- or ONLY as a temporary boost to get you back up to scratch if you missed school for three months because of mono or something. Never a part of life.

We all turned out pretty well in the end, I guess.

I do agree with the other poster who said that teaching a child to read is a parent's responsibility, not the teacher's. Same for seeking early intervention. My boy has high functioning ASD, but was diagnosed early and given due therapy. He's flourishing in a mainstream kindy now, and learning to read.

My mum was illiterate but none of us ever had any tuition. We were sent to a good kindergarten, and reading was highly encouraged. Parents always had the newspapers delivered and we kids would fight over the papers and devour them from end to end, even the obituaries and sports sections. We all read as adults still.

firezero10

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In primary school, my parents sent me to tuition but I guess my resentment towards tuition and financial restraints, they stopped until O levels that year for last minute english tuition for a few months. After that, no more tuition at all le.

To me tuition is just a extra practice and having an extra person to ask. All my school teachers from sec to jc are very willing(maybe I am lucky lol) to spend extra time to help you so if you are hardworking and have initiative to improve, you do not need the extra tuition.

miraxx

Banned
Reaction score
OMG, this!! I'm not a perfect parent but I've told myself that when I'm home, I'll parent- why have kids if I'm not prepared to spend time with them? It doesn't have to be fancy or complex; you don't have to study Montessori pedagogy to educate a child. Incidental learning is always best.

I remember teaching my son his numbers as we buttoned up his shirts, counting each button as we went along; teaching him about left and right as he learned to put on his shoes etc. Our parents did the same thing with us when we were growing up, especially my mum.

Make it a part of your daily routine and you won't find it a chore. We have children's books all over the house for him to flip through whenever he wants, and we make a point to read to him whenever we can, especially before bed. A children's book is generally under 20 pages, and takes all of 5-10 minutes to read. It's no biggie at all.

When I point out this to friends, they complain that they have no skills or knowledge. LOL. They dont need to be trained! A lot of it is just common sense and normal parent-child interaction. If you are truly stumped, you can read books or google.

SGuy1976

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The parents who are complaining about how tough primary school is, are the ones who go home to only watch their TV or their computer and do not spend much time interacting with their kids.

The national libraries are all nearby with educational cartoon dvds to get your kids interested. Stuff like Thomas the train, barney, octonauts and local production dinosaur train. After getting them hooked on the cartoon, you can move on to the books.

Buying a talking pen to read to your child is not parenting. They do not answer the contextual questions that your child will have. You need to provide a frame of reference. The knowledge growth through cross referencing is exponential.

Last edited:

SGuy1976

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tuition for f

End up only 30% of the cohort can enter uni anyway

Less than 10% needs university education for the managerial role. If everybody is a manager, who is going to be doing the work?

And most of the population can find good stable jobs including ite graduates.

Try to join a bto Facebook page and see how they are able to get gnd spouses.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.