EDMW Knife Collectors

zzcisapro

Reaction score
Since Benchmade is so particular about protecting local merchants and most existing overseas sources will not ship them over here, does anyone know who is the local Benchmade reseller, and what is their lineup like?

I find it rather aggravating that even the offical Benchmade Custom Shop refuses to ship overseas. It's called a damned Custom Shop for a reason. Obviously what we want from there is not going to be stocked by ANY reseller.

Its hornest. Go google. They are at paya lebar there

squarebox

Reaction score
Benchmade? Better to place your hard earn money elsewhere. Their QC has been getting so bad that they are on-par cheap China-made knives. Made in USA no longer means quality anymore for example "Made on America soil and by foreign workers would still be classified as 'Made In USA'". Better to spend you money on real knife manufacturers such as Spyderco and Zero Tolerance. Hell even China brands such as Reate, Kizar and Rite Knives are catching up with top-tier brands.

This is from the last Benchmade I will ever buy unless they revamp their company/QC.
For the USD$263.50, 940-1 is terribly poor-value for a knife. Functionality-wise, they are indifferent with smooth operation and works great as a cutting tool but when you are talking about fit & finish, they are terrible which I feel is very typical of Benchmade.

Flaws I feel that shouldn't be there at it's $263.50 price tag:
- inconsistent carbon fiber scale colour (both of mine are of different shade)(see my earlier post)
- inconsistent blue stand-off (both of mine are of different shade)(see my earlier post)
- the blade itself is not well grinded (see photo) (the other one is fine)
- inconsistent grind edge
- the clip dont even touch the scales (doubt anyone wants to lose a $263.50 knife)
- blades are not well-centered (both)

SRf5OpF.jpg

TBWpJSV.jpg

Other issues:
Adamas : obvious excess lump of BK coat on the blade (what are the inspection guys doing?)
940-1 : both came with uncentered blades, clips aren't even touching the scales (I dont wish to lose a $263.50 knife, one of them came with a horrible grind. both are of different shade of carbon fiber and standoff. They are bought from the same e-tailer a day apart.
943 : open/close the knife a few times and the pivot will loosen up enough to create blade play
Ritters: The only ones without problems out of the box
Mini-Grip : it's so badly off-centered that it's almost rubbing.

DSC_0147_zps205dbadf.jpg

I need to emphasize that when I say that such poor quality is typical of Benchmade it's from my personal experience. YMMV

Last edited:

byzzare

Reaction score
Same questions there. Some book you got there. Heard about years of wait after paying deposite upon saying its ur turn. Much high cost knife. Though the end product is cool

Haha yeah Yun told me its a 1-2year wait till we get to the design stage. To be really honest, I wanna get a Yuna is 70% Aesthetics, 30% Knife appreciation. As i'm unsure of the overall blade quality and aware of its weak detent issues, so i''m basing it off from my own research, thats why i only give it 30%. I hope that make some sense. 70% design is because, its a really unique design of knife. Be it the yin yang details, blade shape, ergonomic handle, they are all features that i find it very unique to his craft. thats basically the reasons why i wanted to get it, and i actually enquire in 2014 and only till today after much email pokes, i manage to get on his books.

Sorry for the long text. Apologies in advance

zzcisapro

Reaction score
Haha yeah Yun told me its a 1-2year wait till we get to the design stage. To be really honest, I wanna get a Yuna is 70% Aesthetics, 30% Knife appreciation. As i'm unsure of the overall blade quality and aware of its weak detent issues, so i''m basing it off from my own research, thats why i only give it 30%. I hope that make some sense. 70% design is because, its a really unique design of knife. Be it the yin yang details, blade shape, ergonomic handle, they are all features that i find it very unique to his craft. thats basically the reasons why i wanted to get it, and i actually enquire in 2014 and only till today after much email pokes, i manage to get on his books.

Sorry for the long text. Apologies in advance

I used to be one of his fan. Guess i should share why. All the yuna we see are owned by those 'celebrity' owners. Like jim skelton. (Maybe you got to know it from him also😆) this means their builds are definitely one of the most expensive one. I guess a normal zdp build from him, with ying yang style handle, would be around 1.5k. So firstly, its the cost vs hardware ratio. He is on the ancient side of washers. Its not about detent(but it also contributes)
Secondly, he is a hermit(u wont hear back from him much)

But overall, congratz on getting your turn

byzzare

Reaction score
I used to be one of his fan. Guess i should share why. All the yuna we see are owned by those 'celebrity' owners. Like jim skelton. (Maybe you got to know it from him also😆) this means their builds are definitely one of the most expensive one. I guess a normal zdp build from him, with ying yang style handle, would be around 1.5k. So firstly, its the cost vs hardware ratio. He is on the ancient side of washers. Its not about detent(but it also contributes)
Secondly, he is a hermit(u wont hear back from him much)

But overall, congratz on getting your turn

Thanks man! Appreciate the feedback.

From your post, I guess you're no longer a fan of his work due to a series of reason which you've briefly mentioned.

May i know if you still own his work?

zzcisapro

Reaction score
Thanks man! Appreciate the feedback.

From your post, I guess you're no longer a fan of his work due to a series of reason which you've briefly mentioned.

May i know if you still own his work?

Never held onto his work before. But i would definitely love to hold 1. All these issues i mentioned are just generic issues i saw online, preventing me from commiting

byzzare

Reaction score
Never held onto his work before. But i would definitely love to hold 1. All these issues i mentioned are just generic issues i saw online, preventing me from commiting

Ahh i see, yeah the issues u mentioned above are all what I've come to known through online research on Yuna's. To me his ancient washers and hermit like customer service, adds a very "disconnected life" touch to his knife, traditional if you will, which appeals to me the most haha, maybe i'm weird this way.

If i''m not wrong 1.5k us should be able to get a decent knife from Yuna, not just a basic zdp build. probably even type S, correct me if im wrong haha.

Anyways if we're still in touch by then, i don't mind letting you have a hold of my yuna. Haha maybe u could drop me a dm, to keep in touch.

Rock-kun

Reaction score
mamba2012 said:
If they refuse to ship overseas, u can always take your business elsewhere. That's my policy. Hahaha... In my opinion, there are other brands that perform just as good, if not better for the price point. What are you looking for? If you are looking for an edc, zt/spyderco and hell, even reate are pretty good avenues to check out. Great value for money.

widget said:
We can easily find ZT, Spyderco, Kershaw from local resellers, be it, their official distributors or parallel importers, but not so with Benchmade.
I've only one BM with I bought direct from US reseller, which is a Nakamura 484-1, CF scale with S90V blade. For that particular price range, sad to say the build quality is below my expectation, compared to the similarly priced Spydy or ZT that I own.
There is a minute horizontal blade play, and seems like it's a well known issue too for this model and even 940/943 family.

squarebox said:
Benchmade? Better to place your hard earn money elsewhere. Their QC has been getting so bad that they are on-par cheap China-made knives. Made in USA no longer means quality anymore for example "Made on America soil and by foreign workers would still be classified as 'Made In USA'". Better to spend you money on real knife manufacturers such as Spyderco and Zero Tolerance. Hell even China brands such as Reate, Kizar and Rite Knives are catching up with top-tier brands.

This is from the last Benchmade I will ever buy unless they revamp their company/QC.

I just like Benchmade for the looks. Their knives usually come with slim, narrow blades which look more elegant than the much broader blades used by other companies. Buck is the only other company I can see which still uses slim, narrow blades in a significant portion of their products. Bur Buck has no distributor in here; the resellers here only stock a very limited portion of Buck folders.

Kershaw unfortunately is a no-go. I really love a bunch of their designs, but AO is just a no-go. ZT and Spyderco were never even on my radar to begin with.

Guess I'll just go back to importing cheap S&Ws, Schrades, Bucks and CRKTs.

zzcisapro

Reaction score
Is HorNest still a Benchmade authorized seller or distributor? They don't have the Benchmade brand listed on their website.

Same. But when i checked the benchmade distributor, they were there. Maybe they only sells in shop. The prices are really quite expensive. So maybe just for handling

mamba2012

Reaction score
Anyone following the new releases at Shot Show? My favourite so far is the GTC collab from ZT.

Don't think the new releases look good. Even the gtc collab looks like it'll be a disappointment. The slt looks more gimmicky than anything. However, at that price point, it's more about making the slt affordable to the masses.

Anyway, I think that my top 2 picks for zt will be the 0801 and the 0999. 0801 for the great design/materials at the low cost it was priced at. The 0999 for the complexity and mechanical ingenuity.

Siluriform

Reaction score
The 0999 looks ridiculously good. From the new releases, I also particularly like the Spyderco Silver, with the compression lock/flipper combo. In other news, Fstop lights now has the WeKnife 616 in stock, probably can expect more knives from them in the future.

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone one here into kitchen knives?

Recently bought this from razorsharp @ outram

Kasumi 20cm Chef Knife. VG10 Japanese Damascus Steel

Super sharp and makes food prep a breeze

5158638_orig.jpg

Last edited:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone one here into kitchen knives?

Recently bought this from razorsharp @ outram

Kasumi 20cm Chef Knife. VG10 Japanese Damascus Steel

Super sharp and makes food prep a breeze

5158638_orig.jpg

one of the regulars is a togishi there ;)

kitchen knife - the knife I use everyday of the week.

lloop9

Reaction score
Selling my Benchmade knives collection.

Hidden Canyon Hunter G10 scales MINT condition - S$60

Saddle Mountain Skinner G10 scales MINT condition - S$70

All knives kept in collection drawer - unused, only for admiring, comes complete with Kydex sheath & retail Box.

Hidden Canyon Hunter G10
HoD8bxI.jpg

EXLLRok.jpg

fHonc15.jpg

Saddle Mountain Skinner G10
ChLqMk7.jpg

ChLqMk7.jpg

i4nvr46.jpg

Interest pls watsapp me - 92388703

Last edited:

vespaguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Sold, and headed overseas. A pity but what can Uncle vespa say 🤔😕👀

Last edited:

yonkou

Reaction score
SPYDERCO SLYSZ BOWIE

anyone knows where can i get SPYDERCO SLYSZ BOWIE in sg?

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.